Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #286
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
When I bought my BRP the previous owner told me how to start it. I got it home and was going through his routine and it started while I was trying to find TDC. It is one of the easiest kickers I have ever had.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #287
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Frankly, only after a dump when hot have I had any trouble starting it with the stock carb.
The trick is not to do that!
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #288
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
When I bought my BRP the previous owner told me how to start it. I got it home and was going through his routine and it started while I was trying to find TDC. It is one of the easiest kickers I have ever had.
even without the edelbrock - just the stocker carb properly setup is a breeze to start - if you know the secret ritual
The absence of the secret ritual is what puts nice, barely-ridden, low mileage stock BRP's on the aftermarket
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #289
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

I guess my point was mine started without the ritual.

Also if you haven't done it yet, when you have the carb off look at it as you twist the throttle to see the stream of fuel squirt. Gives you a mental picture of what happens if you twist as you kick.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 AM   #290
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

one thing [of many!] I do not understand is the vast diff between my properly-jetted DRZ/FCR vs. my XRR.... the XRR starts with no messing around with throttle [in fact its a no-no....] and its "not a pumper". The DRZ's FCR is a pumper but it can be a b#!@@$ to start. Different ritual.... gotta "pump" the throttle about 10 times first, then hit the magic button, then DON'T touch the throttle when it fires, you just cross your fingers and hope it stays. most times it dies about half a dozen times [it runs outta fuel.... how ?] frustrating to say the least.

but the non-pumper just starts.... idles with choke on for 30 seconds or so, then half-choke... just let 'er warm the oil a bit.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #291
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
I wonder if your FZR is a tad lean in the idle circuit? Also, part of the secret ritual with my Pig was cranking up the idle a bit (several turns) until she warmed up, you might try that with the DRZ.

The Edlebrock is a breeze, no choke but none needed. Find TDC, decomp and slight kickstarter movement, turn on the ignition (BD dualsport kit, basically move it off the 'kill' position), three squirts on the throttle, and sharp kick. Not even dialed in yet, and takes 1-3 kicks tops.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #292
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Man not to rain on your parade and it may just be me, I weight 180 pounds and on my Pig you can break an ankle hitting TDC, there is no way I can start mine without the de-comp. Most times if you kick it and it does not start, it will stop just off TDC, you can stand on the lever it will not budge,

If it were me I would run Conpression and check everything out, I do that anyway on new/used stuff, but that is just me, the week I got my bike home I tore it down to the frame and motor, Now I know what I have.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #293
kellyk7
Who knows

Quote:
I guess my point was mine started without the ritual.

Also if you haven't done it yet, when you have the carb off look at it as you twist the throttle to see the stream of fuel squirt. Gives you a mental picture of what happens if you twist as you kick.
this is interesting because if you have the stock carb, ther is no stream of gas, you must have a pumper. the problem with twisting or opening the throttle is that while starting the airflow is not fast enough to draw the fuel out of the bowl into the throat of the carb, you twist throttle and go way to lean to run, 2 strokes seem to love this however.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
Old 01-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #294
kellyk7
Who knows

[quote=Red_Chili]I wonder if your FZR is a tad lean in the idle circuit? Also, part of the secret ritual with my Pig was cranking up the idle a bit (several turns) until she warmed up, you might try that with the DRZ.

quote]

I read you say this on another thread and I do this now, it really helps cold run and then first time I stop pop off my glove tweak it back down and all is good in the pig pen again.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #295
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
this is interesting because if you have the stock carb, ther is no stream of gas, you must have a pumper. the problem with twisting or opening the throttle is that while starting the airflow is not fast enough to draw the fuel out of the bowl into the throat of the carb, you twist throttle and go way to lean to run, 2 strokes seem to love this however.
Okay I screwed up. A salesman at the Honda shop used to have his CRF450 on display with a sign on the throttle saying "do not touch". He told me that the pump on the carb will shoot a stream of fuel about 12', so if everyone who sat on the bike gave it a twist he would have a hard time getting it started.

I didn't have a 4 stroke at the time so I never experienced that. I sold my KTM300exc and got a KTM400exc and gave the throttle a twist while the carb was off for jetting. It looked like a tiny drinking fountain squirting fuel.

Later I bought a BRP on ebay. I got it home and tried to start it like the guy told me. It just started like it was a Honda 50. I was expecting a long painful kicking fight. I just assumed it had an accelerator pump. I haven't done much work with it yet.

In August I had jetted my BRP just right and it was running fine. I was returning home from a ride. There had been some light rain and the BRP threw me to the ground as I went over a wet wooden creek over pass. My BAJA designs ON/OFF Light switch got smashed. I sprained both ankles and couldn't get it started. (FYI My worst ankle was my left. I think my boot got caught between the peg and shifter). My friend had his truck and took me and BRP home.

So up until the crash my BRP started fine.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #296
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Also, part of the secret ritual with my Pig was cranking up the idle a bit (several turns) until she warmed up, you might try that with the DRZ.
with the Edelbrock, that's about the only way to get it going easily when the bike is cold, since there's no choke. I turn the idle screw about 5-6 twists up, start it - 2000rpm - slowly turning it back over the next 2 minutes as the bike warms up. With the remote idle screw extender that's really not that much different from using a choke.

Peter
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #297
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu
Here's another shot of mine just to keep the thread going

Which tank is this, and does it interfere with moving forward on the bike?

Thanks

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #298
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
Which tank is this, and does it interfere with moving forward on the bike?

Thanks
Clarke and a little.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #299
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
Man not to rain on your parade and it may just be me, I weight 180 pounds and on my Pig you can break an ankle hitting TDC, there is no way I can start mine without the de-comp. Most times if you kick it and it does not start, it will stop just off TDC, you can stand on the lever it will not budge,

If it were me I would run Conpression and check everything out, I do that anyway on new/used stuff, but that is just me, the week I got my bike home I tore it down to the frame and motor, Now I know what I have.
something is not setup right on your bike. the BRP is terribly easy on the foot when everything is right
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #300
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Dirt Bagz has a new setup just for the XR.

Also have added some insulating washers and some vibe shielding...old tube piece between flanges. I'll know soon how well this works out..kinda worried about the effects of heat and vibration...though it can't seemingly negatively effect the rack. It already sucked.

I'd buy the extension offered by Dirtbagz in retrospect.
CM -

How's the mount thats welded to the exhaust holding up? I'm using the exhaust to support my rack but I clamped mine instead of welding - I'm considering redesigning and may weld it to the exhaust so I'm curious about yours.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote