Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #1186
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe
Hell yeah on the paint job...love the black rims. Why pay for black rims when you can get them for free..they just get f'ed up anyway. What stickers are you refering to? No Photoshop on that bike.
I love the black rims too and you're right about having to pay the price for em.

The armory sticker caught my eye...But fits perfectly! Until I saw a set of Maxxis tires today with text on the rubber...I thought it was added.
FOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #1187
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,012
XR650R: NOW I know what all the fuss is about!

So I bought a lightly used xr650r a few months ago. After a busy time at work and some time in the shop I FINALLY took it out today for my first proper 200 mile ride (but no dirt, unfortunately) through the Marin & Sonoma coast. I gotta say--WOW. This thing really hauls. My new bars are nice and wide and up close. I kinda wish they were further away, but don't know what to do about that. They make the GSA feel like an aggressive leaned-over riding position. The XR feels most balanced when I skooch forward as close as possible up against the tank. From there you can really plant yourself in a turn, lay the bike over, keep yourself upright, maybe put a foot out ahead of you, keep those elbows up, and give it more gas than you might think exiting the turn. My knobbies do fish-tail out a little, but when they grab it slingshots you forward to the next turn. For me this bike is all about the acceleration. Some bikes are about carving the turn, but this one makes the distance between turns that much shorter. Pulls hard in any gear. With sprocket change I could probably hit 100 without any trouble at all. Nice and tall too for a tall guy.

I rode some of my favorite roads in Marin and Sonoma counties today: Coleman, Fairfax-Bolinas, Middle Rd, Ridgecrest, D St., Hwy 1, Chileno Valley, etc. and it was more fun on this bike than on any other bike I've ridden over the same roads. Yeah it's loud, rough suspension, the wind is a chore, my ass hurts and my knees are killing me from being bent so far, but THIS bike is what motorcycling is all about for me. It starts on 1st kick when warm, a few kicks when cold. Who needs e-start?! I also got a very respectable 38 mpg today in twisty-riding. I'm going to put the Acerbis tank on and really get some range. I also plan on adding my old ortlieb dry saddle bags soon, and leave 'em on full time. Perhaps Santa will bring me some street-oriented dual sport tires? What else ... pivot pegs, a proper headlight, heated grips, a BMW adapter for a heated vest? So much to do to make this bike your own, but that engine is something worth building around. Now I've got a barely dirt-worthy dual sport (the GSA), and a barely street legal dual sport (the XR) to cover all my bases.

SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1188
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,917
And the KLR, SF"KLR"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR
So I bought a lightly used xr650r a few months ago. After a busy time at work and some time in the shop I FINALLY took it out today for my first proper 200 mile ride (but no dirt, unfortunately) through the Marin & Sonoma coast. I gotta say--WOW. This thing really hauls. My new bars are nice and wide and up close. I kinda wish they were further away, but don't know what to do about that. They make the GSA feel like an aggressive leaned-over riding position. The XR feels most balanced when I skooch forward as close as possible up against the tank. From there you can really plant yourself in a turn, lay the bike over, keep yourself upright, maybe put a foot out ahead of you, keep those elbows up, and give it more gas than you might think exiting the turn. My knobbies do fish-tail out a little, but when they grab it slingshots you forward to the next turn. For me this bike is all about the acceleration. Some bikes are about carving the turn, but this one makes the distance between turns that much shorter. Pulls hard in any gear. With sprocket change I could probably hit 100 without any trouble at all. Nice and tall too for a tall guy.

I rode some of my favorite roads in Marin and Sonoma counties today: Coleman, Fairfax-Bolinas, Middle Rd, Ridgecrest, D St., Hwy 1, Chileno Valley, etc. and it was more fun on this bike than on any other bike I've ridden over the same roads. Yeah it's loud, rough suspension, the wind is a chore, my ass hurts and my knees are killing me from being bent so far, but THIS bike is what motorcycling is all about for me. It starts on 1st kick when warm, a few kicks when cold. Who needs e-start?! I also got a very respectable 38 mpg today in twisty-riding. I'm going to put the Acerbis tank on and really get some range. I also plan on adding my old ortlieb dry saddle bags soon, and leave 'em on full time. Perhaps Santa will bring me some street-oriented dual sport tires? What else ... pivot pegs, a proper headlight, heated grips, a BMW adapter for a heated vest? So much to do to make this bike your own, but that engine is something worth building around. Now I've got a barely dirt-worthy dual sport (the GSA), and a barely street legal dual sport (the XR) to cover all my bases.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #1189
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
And the KLR, SF"KLR"?
Sold three years ago after Alaska trip. Miss that bike. Best all arounder there is in my book. If I changed my name every time I bought a bike, I'd be SFKLRDUCBMWBMWHUSKYXR and it would be a pain in the ass to sign in.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #1190
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR
Sold three years ago after Alaska trip. Miss that bike. Best all arounder there is in my book. If I changed my name every time I bought a bike, I'd be SFKLRDUCBMWBMWHUSKYXR and it would be a pain in the ass to sign in.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #1191
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
We should merge all these threads. I posted in the wrong one...

Baja Designs dualsport kit
Stage 2 cam
ditched the Edelbrock for an FCR
Pro Circuit exhaust
CRF forks & front wheel
SCOTTS low-mount steering stabilizer
Baja Designs 4" halogen Fuego headlight
EBC 280mm front brake kit
Easton EXP bars
Trailtech Vapor
Cycra handguards
IMS Pro Series pegs
Unabiker radiator guards
re-shaped seat
Fourstrokeworks subframe extension
IMS 3.2 / Acerbis 6.6 tanks
dirt / street wheelsets (both 21/18")
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #1192
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I just installed the Baja Designs kit to the rear fender. Now my fender is bouncing all over the place(even on smooth roads).

Is there a recommended way to brace the fender?
Xr650r
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #1193
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Turbo City rear fender brace
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #1194
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogger
I just installed the Baja Designs kit to the rear fender. Now my fender is bouncing all over the place(even on smooth roads).

Is there a recommended way to brace the fender?
Xr650r
I think this (scroll to the bottom) is the best brace out there right now. Those Turbo City braces look like they were built by a garage-hack.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #1195
Crit Rat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe
Hell yeah on the paint job...love the black rims. Why pay for black rims when you can get them for free..they just get f'ed up anyway. What stickers are you refering to? No Photoshop on that bike.
I'm with you on this. What paint did you use?
Crit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #1196
Stevevh
Kudu Driver

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
I think this (scroll to the bottom) is the best brace out there right now. Those Turbo City braces look like they were built by a garage-hack.

Dirt bagz also has one that bolts to the subframe. I have used it for about a year and the rear fender is rock solid. http://www.dbzproducts.com/extras.htm
Stevevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #1197
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevh
Dirt bagz also has one that bolts to the subframe. I have used it for about a year and the rear fender is rock solid. http://www.dbzproducts.com/extras.htm
10-4 same here with the full monty bag set up. works.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #1198
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,257
all right, tell us 'bout the CRF front end, buy it that way? or u do it? easy? hard? hows it handle, difference? worth it? etc... thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
We should merge all these threads. I posted in the wrong one...

Baja Designs dualsport kit
Stage 2 cam
ditched the Edelbrock for an FCR
Pro Circuit exhaust
CRF forks & front wheel
SCOTTS low-mount steering stabilizer
Baja Designs 4" halogen Fuego headlight
EBC 280mm front brake kit
Easton EXP bars
Trailtech Vapor
Cycra handguards
IMS Pro Series pegs
Unabiker radiator guards
re-shaped seat
Fourstrokeworks subframe extension
IMS 3.2 / Acerbis 6.6 tanks
dirt / street wheelsets (both 21/18")
Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #1199
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
all right, tell us 'bout the CRF front end, buy it that way? or u do it? easy? hard? hows it handle, difference? worth it? etc... thanks !!
Right now I'm using stock CRF tripleclamps and a custom-machined upper bearing and it pretty much sucks. The revalved stock forks were a lot better. But this is just a temporary setup. I designed a set of custom conversion tripleclamps a while ago, and I'm still talking to BRP about whether they're going to put them into production. Should be awesome whenever I finally get the new tripleclamps on there. I've got a CR500 shock that I'm going to use to build a hybrid to balance-out the front suspension.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #1200
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevh
Thanks for the link! For 55 bucks that's worth a shot...just bought it. Hopefully it'll STOP the FLOP.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote