Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #1276
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
i am building one again....now i have sent the left and right side of the front fairings of my dominator for fibreglass job...but it won't be a rush job this time...i am hoping to spent more time riding that pig...
AJ.. make sure your fiberglass guy makes a good production mold for your fairing..

mine is over 1/2" thick so I can pull a lot of units out of the mold..

it will save you in the long run.. especially if you keep on hitting trees with your fairing.. you can get you guy to just run another unit..

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #1277
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
hehe...

this time round,if i am going for a trail,i will remove those fairings...
Here,most of the trails are tight trails wit trees everywhere...it's just a matter of time...so,that time...is the right time for it to smash!!

The fairings will be use for road use and short touring...it's a good wind protection and gives you the security hiding behind it when cruising long dark highways...

I just don't earn enuf $$...if not,i wouldn't got through all the troubles...would definately buy your Kenaroo fairings for sure dude...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #1278
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstodvictory
I started looking at 2-seat roadsters thinking I'd buy one in a few years. One drive in a Honda S2000 and several days later I owned it. Something had to go and I could never part with my Victory. Sorry. I didn't have to advertise it since I was getting regular inquiries about that. My adventure MC days may be over, but there's lots of good pavement out there for Vic riding.

BTW I'm glad you find the website useful!

Steve

nice lawn.
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #1279
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
They are wrapped stockers Marlan.
Why is a car pictured here,have i missed something.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #1280
MARLAN TOUCHSTONE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Bad Cooky..i Am Talking About The Coated Header

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
They are wrapped stockers Marlan.
Why is a car pictured here,have i missed something.
MINE IS WRAPPED ALSO the car is not mine bare foot n arkansas
MARLAN TOUCHSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #1281
MARLAN TOUCHSTONE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport650
My Honda XR650R Mega-Dualsport:

Big Red Pigs do FLY (kind of)...

This is a great bike! I wanted a super-powerful and very reliable big-bore thumper to use as my primary motorcycle and dualsport bike. I almost bought a KTM 525 or a Husqvarna TC 510, but I went with the Honda XR becuase of their stellar reputation for reliability.

I'm glad I did. This bike is super fun and fast. It has tons of torque and big power throughout the revs. At about 300 pounds it's not light, but way lighter than a Honda XR650L or similar box-stock dualsport.

The best part about it really is that I can ride it anywhere - down to the local 711 for a 6 pack of beer, or dualsport 150 miles from my home in Bend, Oregon all the way down to Diamond Lake - like we did on our Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route Ride in August of 2006. Heck, I even race it with blinkers on! See my Virginia City Grand Prix race report.

Here is my list of modifications to my Honda XR650R:

EBC oversized front brake rotor - this is the best mod so far - it allows me to haul the beast down from speed with just 1 finger.

Uncorked - removed airbox snorkel, drilled holes in the airbox cover, UNI filter, etc, etc.

Full Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust - actually the header is an FMF High-Flo - it works with the Yosh since Yosh doesn't make a header for the XR650R. This really wakes the bike up and makes it flat out haul booty... but it's LOUD! They make a quiet insert (called a "TEC Kit" but that makes the bike run really bad. Basically it's like sticking a potato in your muffler. LAME! So, I compromised and had a custom stainless steel turn-down tip fabricated at the local auto exhaust shop. This gives me the best of both worlds - I can run it wide open to get all the power - but the turn-down tip quiets it down a lot and points the noise at the ground so it doesn't echo across the valley's and into the local nature-nazi's ears. All good!

Hotcams Stage 1 cam - this mod combined with the Yoshimura muffer and FMF header gives the bike way more power in the mid to high rpms. It takes just a little off the bottom torque, but it more than adds up for it by giving the bike huge power from mid to high rpms. In other words, when you grab the throttle and go through the gears you're up to 80 MPH really fast! (if you want to go that fast). Just make sure you're not pointed at a tree or anything.

Other Mods - Baja Designs dualsport kit, Enduro Engineering bark busters, radiator guards, Baja Designs soft tall seat by Guts Racing, steel sub-frame extension by Dirt Bagz, LED rear brake light and rear blinkers, etc., etc.
I would like my 650r to have the power band a little more towards the top than what it has on bottom .I HAVE A YOSI TIT CAN AND WANT A HEADER I THINK I WOULD PUT A STAGE 1 CAM IN BUT IS IT TO MUCH TROUBLE WITH OUT A OVERHALL OR IS IT?????
MARLAN TOUCHSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #1282
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
If you need more power towards the top you're already going too fast!

101 mph across a dry lake out of my '00 stocker with 15/47 gearing, piped and jetted.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #1283
JESSEJAMES
vanilla gorilla

Oddometer: 385
Hey Ken.
I sent you a PM a couple days ago. I need to get a faring set up from you for my XR650.

please let me know if you are still making them.

thank you

Jesse James

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
AJ.. make sure your fiberglass guy makes a good production mold for your fairing..

mine is over 1/2" thick so I can pull a lot of units out of the mold..

it will save you in the long run.. especially if you keep on hitting trees with your fairing.. you can get you guy to just run another unit..
JESSEJAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #1284
badcooky
I see dumb people!

OK the creamic coating Marlon,someone will do it,i think it may be called jet coating by one company in the states.
Stage 1 is good stage 2 is more better,for me that is.
Marlon if you put a set of free flowing headers on it'll go better from the mid onwards should improve the top a bit.
An early XR400 CDI keeps the bottom end strong as it's got an extra 2 degrees of advance at idle it will also rev higher by about 1200 revs or so.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #1285
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,036
Just updated my Cyra Guards with built in LED turn signals to clean up the front end of my BRP.

I did up a "How To" article on it: HERE

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #1286
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy
Just updated my Cyra Guards with built in LED turn signals to clean up the front end of my BRP.

I did up a "How To" article on it: HERE

Hodakaguy
Really nice install, it makes the front end look cleaner. I think I might do that over some snowy days.

Have you had any chance to ride at all? Im stuck in cold weather and ice. sucks... I did get a new seat for the bike and ordered new tires. Ill have to get pics up tomorrow.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #1287
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,036
My latest mod.....I added a switch assy/clamp unit from Highway Dirt Bikes, this unit is slick! If you've added a KTM radiator fan to your BRP this is a great way to control it. I have my headlight wired to the top switch and the fan on the bottom switch.

I posted a few more pics of the unit here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423075

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #1288
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Has anyone used the XR400 CDI for an extended period?
1200 revs extra on top is alot for a big 650. Held at that for extended periods couldnt be good, but for short blasts i suppose its alright.

Though we are tempted to hold it wide open for long periods on the open stuff
Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1289
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Jake i've had the XR400 CDI in for a while.About a year or more can't really remember.
It's no problem as the Xr is so overbuilt it's not funny.
They (Honda) learned with the old XR600 that if it made too much power that things go wrong ,like splitting the cases apart on the XR680RN race bike and the like.
The XR650R has a lot left,if it wasn't happy at 9+k it would vibrate and it wouldn't make power but it's still smooth and pumping ponies.
Team Honda also have said there's a lot left if they end up in a HP war.
Shoot man it's a Honda! Reliability is first.
I bought a 2nd hand Xr400 CDI for a hundred bucks Aussie,i rode with the stock CDI on me for a while untill i just forgot about it and left it home.
And really there's not a lot of places on dirt you will keep it pinned in top cog bouncing off the rev limiter for extended periods,i do it but at 15/45 it's a very very real experience.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #1290
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Guess i'm used to owning KTMs and concerned of these things
Might have to pick up an XR400 CDI methinks.

I'm also trying to decide between switching gearing between

13/45 - 16/45
or
13/48 - 16/48

Switching the gearing on these bikes is a no problem, as i like riding difficult stuff sometimes, the taller gearing has me strugging, and i still like the tall gearing for long open hauls and save oil consumption.
These bikes seem to drink the oil when kept at high revs for long periods