Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Big Toe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Map Source Problem

Hi,
I'm going to Mid-Ohio next week for VMD's and was going to do the route on Map Source. The problem I have is I can not draw a route in the US, it just draws a straight line between the 2 points. In Canada it works O.K. I'm thinking I need US maps. My Map Source has Metro Guide Canada V4 installed on it but no US. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
jwd98056
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
You are correct in that you will only have routing data for the map regions covered by the maps you have loaded. There is no USA coverage in the Metro Guide Canada.

There is the Garmin World Routable basemap but you need to use a Mapsource version prior to 6.14. It has a lot of the major roads, highways and freeways.
IBA #32756 - BMWMOA #122647
'05 BMW R1200GS - Desert Yellow (Brutus)
'12 HD Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglow (JD'sRoad)
'02 HD Heritage Softail - Custom Paint (JDsHog)
jwd98056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Big Toe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
You are correct in that you will only have routing data for the map regions covered by the maps you have loaded. There is no USA coverage in the Metro Guide Canada.

There is the Garmin World Routable basemap but you need to use a Mapsource version prior to 6.14. It has a lot of the major roads, highways and freeways.
Thanks but the site says

Also note: none of the maps on this site are routable! So, you can't automatically have the GPS follow the roads, but you get straight lines only! (the World Routable Basemap is the only exception, but you can't transfer it to your GPS with Mapsource anyway)
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,865
If you didn't want to invest in a very expensive US map set, look for US Metroguide V4 on ebay or something. Its quite a few years out of date, but it will work. MG V4 US was the last version that autorouted in the US. I have a copy myself, so I know it works. It also doesn't require any unlock codes to work and I frequently still use it in older GPS's that I don't have a city Nav license for.

The other option is just to buy a US city Nav version and license, but since you live in Canada, something tells me you wouldn't want to spend that money just for a trip now and then.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toe
Thanks but the site says

Also note: none of the maps on this site are routable! So, you can't automatically have the GPS follow the roads, but you get straight lines only! (the World Routable Basemap is the only exception, but you can't transfer it to your GPS with Mapsource anyway)
There is a method, documented somewhere in this maze of information in here, that describes how to replace your basemap in your GPS. I can't remember the details, but I seem to recall it was fairly straightforward. It may give you some joy, I dunno, you'll have to dig it up. The basemaps are pretty basic though.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote