Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
cherokee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

For me riding home last night from work. Down the county roads I get stuck behind a hay truck carring about 20 round bails. Well I am back pretty far, darn hay keeps flying everywhere. We get to the twisty part of this two lane country road and yep you guessed it....off falls a hay bail. I realy did not come close as I was thinking it would happen any minute.
I thaught it was funny, then I got a little shakey, I know what a wet hay bail weighs and I would be squished like a bug.

So what else strange have you had a close call with?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
I would have to say bats. Three of'em so far, #1 hit under the right edge of the bill on my MX helmet. #2 hit me dead center of my full face, almost went down on that one. #3 hit my left mirror then slid down the post and just sit on my hand hanging on for about 1/4 mile before it fell off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
So what else strange have you had a close call with?
I whipped around the corner in college behind the science building and almost ran a 25 gallon dewer of liquid nitrogen over. Another student had rolled it out onto the sidewalk to go to the other building and went back for something and it wandered into the street on it's own.

Be careful of haybails in farm country. Just one of those little 30-35 pounders will take any motorcycle down real quick. I was driving the haytruck and lost about 1/4 load of 30lb bails one afternoon. Some city guy out for a drive in his brand new spendy convertable had been tailgating me up a hill and they beat the crap out of his hood when they came loose. I've also lost partial loads over the side which end up in the ditch or oncoming lane with almost no warning. We were good about not loosing loads but when one bail goes you can expect at least 5-15 more right then. A couple times a season, we're driving back to the fields for another load and there's a bail or 3 laying in the middle of the road that pooped off the back without us knowing it. Farming...the good life....
Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 403
strangest thing

1. an entire pallet of canned Coke in the fast lane when I lived in China.
2. a bale of straw in the fast lane on 287 around NYC at about 70 mph.
3. a front bumper off a 78 T-bird in the middle lane of 287.
4. a guy taking a dump beside the road in WVa. He was in the apex of a real nice curve...
5. another rider... I was working thru traffic, passing buses, etc in the Alps. I thought he saw me, but he didn't. His helmet caught my hand gaurd on the GS with a slight tap. His eyes were about as big as saucers. I shouldn't have been in his lane, but I thought he saw me. Assume..... makes an ASS out of U and ME.
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
An aluminum ladder stretched across the right hand lane of I-25.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,169
scared? - Me

I was riding south on I-77 behind a pickup truck when the matress that was in the bed of the truck flew up and over my head. whew!
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512
Riding in light traffic through a small town near here. A pickup in the oncoming lane braked to turn up the slightest rise into the Post Office parking lot. The 10-foot length of 4-inch PVC pipe in the pickup was angled from the bed near the cab up across the closed tailgate. The braking and turn swung that pipe around in the bed so it was now angled from low on the passenger side to high on the driver side. It swung at me at just about head height. Missed by a couple of feet but got my attention.
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
1) A live turkey, back roads, Austell, GA. Spun me around but I did not go down.

2) Aluminum Ladder, I-285 Atlanta. Kinda jumped it, should have wrecked but didn't.

3) A steel nut, about 2 inches in diameter, straight to the chest (thought it stopped my heart it hit so hard) I-285 Atlanta

4) Muffler and attached exhaust pipe, 575 near Canton, GA. No wreck

5) Water melon, I-75 near Valdosta. Almost, and I mean almost but no wreck.

6) Wooden pallet (empty) East/West Connector, Austell, GA. Scared me shitless.

7) A helmet, unstrapped and blew off another rider in front of me, Daytona. No wreck.

8) German Shepherd, near Bo-Bo's house. No wreck but torn up a guys fresh grass stopping it.

Weirdest I have heard, guy from Earl Smalls Harley Davidson in Marietta, Ga was headed to the Hard Rock Cafe in Atlantawith a group of bikes. I-75 south after dark. He hit an upside down wheelbarrow tub that already had the wheels and supports knocked off. Was almost a perfect ramp. Said he was about 8 feet off the ground, got some good distance and landed without crashing. LOTS and LOTS of damage to the bike.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
The oddest thing I've had to dodge has been ball lightning. I was heading into Ely from the north, coming down along the east side of the Ruby Mountains in a thunder storm. As the lightning hit several balls would go skipping away across the flats. Had to duck under one and slow so another could cross the highway.

Then there was the day a pickup in front of me lost a rear wheel along with the axle shaft it was still attached.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
flanga
Delusions of Adequacy

Oddometer: 2,806
a rustbucket ford panel van dropped its gas tank in front of me. I slowed way down, but the van's rear bumper prevented the tank from exiting behind the van, so the tank dragged along the asphalt, wedged uner the van's rear bumper.

Then I fell further back, expecting the tank to burst into flames.

It didn't, but still...

fredlanga.blogspot.com
flanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
And then on I-20 near Madison, Ga early one morning I am zipping along behind a big generic Fed-Ex/UPS kinda truck when he abruptly swerves and right there was a camper shell from a pick-up! Easy to react on a bike but still odd. Same place the next year was a bed liner.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
cherokee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I forgot about the bed liner, a couple of years ago one just flew out of a pick-up. Did a couple of end overs and went off an overpass. Felt sorry for the guys that where under the bridge.

I had a lighting strike very close to me last year. Coming home from work in a BAD thunder storm, he hail came down so hard it hurt my feet through the boots and padded jacket. The lighting struck so close I had to stop for my eyes to re-adjust. I bet I wet myself but I was already so wet no one would know.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
StuckXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Same damn thing happend to me only on 93 south in NH, and it was about 5 bails. I was behind him for a about a mile when I thought it was looking a little sketchy i switch lanes then the top layer of bails flew off. The truck was way overloaded. I dont think anyone hit it but im sure there was a close call.
StuckXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
A snapping turtle that had to be at least 18 inches across.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
hook
On a ride...

Oddometer: 77
South of Puerto Vallarta I was riding through a wooded area. There were plenty of sunny areas as well as shady. There are loads of Iguanas along the roads here- some grey, others green (anyone know if they are different species or what?). I was amazed at how fast these things can run! Anyway, due to the sun and shade I didn't see one ease into my path until the last second (it was a grey one). I lifted by feet expecting him to explode like a water balloon. Luckily he took the ketchup packet route and blew his guts left and right. The bike and I didn't catch a drop.

hook screwed with this post 06-17-2006 at 07:51 AM
hook is offline   Reply With Quote