Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #1546
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I nailed this poor thing several weeks ago. Despite some cauliflower looking stuff oozing from his head he finally moved on down the road after about 15 minutes.

When worlds collide.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1547
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I managed to catch a planter on my left mirror/hand/windshield. One of those things that you can buy bulk plants/flowers in at your local landscape shop.

I had just merged onto a local highway (4 lane divided, 65 MPH). I found myself a couple cars behind a landscaper's truck and trailer.

Shortly after merging onto this road, things started flying off this trailer! First was a giant pot that ended up on the shoulder. Soon after that came three empty planters. These things were the size of a medium desk-top. Traffic around me slowed and swerved. I ended up with one floating into my lane; a quick glance at my mirror showed someone way too close to my rear, so I took my escape route to the shoulder.

No sooner had I swerved to the shoulder (causing the planter I dodged to break into pieces on the car behind me) that another one floated up from the right side of the car that was in front of me.

No more escape route left, and I was unsure what chaos was going on behind me, I decided some body damage to the bike was better than trying to swerve back into traffic, risk getting rear-ended from the car that was target-fixating on me, or getting caught in the gravel at 65 MPH.

After that impact I managed to get back into my lane, and promptly took advantage of an opening in traffic to get around that landscape trailer. I didn't look at the speedo during the pass, nor did I try to get a name/number/plate from that truck. I was just more interested in not encountering airborne landscaping supplies.
k5mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1548
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
A propane BBQ grill. It fell out of the truck in front of me(over the tailgate, in a turn). I managed to avoid it, the suddenly stopped truck that it fell out of, and the guy that jumped out of the truck as it stopped.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #1549
BrianRC
n00b

Oddometer: 7
First post on here and nothing super odd to report on the bike yet but I remember driving in southern Colorado, turning a corner to see HUNDREDS of ground squirrels running back and forth across the road! Should have taken a picture, I have never seen anything like it!
BrianRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #1550
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,178
This thread needs to come back to life, so BUMP

So far I think the strangest thing I almost hit would have to be a single new looking shoe in the middle of the highway. Not too strange, but there you go.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #1551
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
This thread needs to come back to life, so BUMP

So far I think the strangest thing I almost hit would have to be a single new looking shoe in the middle of the highway. Not too strange, but there you go.
Wild turkey hen that bolted from woods right into my front wheel spokes, and layed an egg on them.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #1552
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Roadrunner

We were cruising a back road in New Mexico at 100+ speeds and I don't think he properly estimated our speed, was likely used to more law abiding drivers. I just got his tail feathers. Beep beep
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #1553
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Old mattress...happened so fast I wasn't even scared but when I realized how lucky I was to have gone over it, it was really an eye opener.

It had fallen off a truck in front of the car in front of me and that car rolled over it, thank goodness, because it was laying flat as I went over it. If it had been upright and still flying, OUCH!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #1554
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I hit a bear last June while riding my Ducati SS. Broke my wrist and totalled the bike although I did ride away from the crash given it happened in the Adirondacks in the middle of the night (wasn't my idea to ride at night). I survived and have a story told by many.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #1555
WayFar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I almost hit a large aluminum ladder on I75 near Port Charlotte, FL back in 2008. The problem was, it was at the crest of the Peacr River bridge, which has a slight bent at that location. Flashing past the ladder at 80mph, I had a vision of myself flying off the bridge and splashing down in the water far below. It wasn't any sort of skill that allowed me to avoid it. It blended in well with the road, and I just happened to see it right when I was right on top of it. Lucky day.

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #1556
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,517
One of the weirdest things I've hit was never fully identified. It was an Unidentified Fleeing Object.

It was at night back in the late 1980's while riding Eastbound on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, just past mile marker 666 on the last leg of a ride that started earlier that day in Fort Davis.

Suddenly, something black and big enough to take me out appeared immediately in front of me in the headlight moving quickly from left to right. Too close to even react. Not even enough time to think or even blink, all I felt was something lightly brushing my right boot or leg. By the time I applied the brakes it was all over and I was still upright and rolling at speed.

I was happy to have avoided a collision, shaken a little by how quickly it happened and having been on the bike all day I pulled off at the next town to get fuel and to catch my breath. Adrenalin was flowing and I was a little dazed from the ten or twelve hours I had been riding that day.

The bike was a fairly new 1986 BMW K75C, and the right side (rubber mounted) case guard was, um, er, missing. Like completely gone from the bike. (Nice job on that design BMW, a breakaway case guard. How confidence inspiring is that?)

My best guess is that the UFO was a dog, but, it could just as easily have been a Chupacabra. Either way, it got my case guard and probably a bruise or broken bones, and I got quite a scare.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #1557
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
El Chupacabra!

Had to be.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #1558
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
On my way from SF Bay Area to Anchorage, AK. Had been on the road for about ten days. Crossed out of the Yukon into AK. On my left were wonderful, distant views of the Wrangell mountain range; there was sun and rain and even snow, but luckily the latter wasn't sticking so I soldiered on.

In the middle of a wet curve, a GIANT rabbit bolted out from the left side of the road and ran directly into my path; I even lost sight of it below/in front of the bike. The thing was huge, the road was wet, and I was keeled over already -- had I hit it I knew I would have gone down. Imagine successfully riding 3,000 miles only to be taken out by a rabbit?
www.followthechief.com
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #1559
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Snowshoe hares can grow quite large...

In about 2000 or 01' I was riding my 80's Kawasaki 750 down I-80 at about 70 mph (as fast as the old girl would go into a strong headwind).

The windshield snapped off and slammed into my face. I wobbled but regained control. I slowly turned my head and it flew off. I bought plexi glass and used a large pipe and weed burner to mold it into shape.

Edit- just realized I already posted this quite a while ago in this same thread... I'm leaving it.

wyobohunter screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 05:51 PM
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #1560
ZJeepMI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I was riding a back road in northern Michigan on my TW over the summer, fully tucked at 65-70 MPH (trying to beat the rain, I was 5 hours from home nearing my destination) when a big ass great blue heron flew right out in front of me, and had I not been tucked down I'm pretty sure I would have hit it with my head

ZJeepMI is online now   Reply With Quote