Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #31
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726

look on the shoulder there.the remains of a 100# sack of rice.
i saw about three in the two miles i rode with shogs.
sometimes i see locals picking up the remains.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #32
BobCWNC
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
Riding westbound I-40 toward Waynesvile. Cars in the opposite lane were blinking their lights, so I thought an LEO was ahead. That snapped me out of my highway coma in time to notice a car traveling eastbound in my left hand WB lane at about 80 MPH, with a flat front tire. The tire was smoking, and sparks and chunks were flying from his undercarriage. I pulled WAY over into the emergency lane as he flew by just in the nick of time, closing speeds are in the blink of an eye at those speeds.

His expression was no different than any one elses, one hand on the wheel just like he was cruising along.

I never did hear about a wreck, so I assume he made it?!?!!??!

"It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #33
wedgeman
square peg, round whole

Oddometer: 26,230
12' 4x4 that the trailertruck in front of me just hit at 80mph.. It was about 5' off the ground, doing the helicoptor spin...

not 20 seconds before, I had been tailgating the truck (for 20miles), and this little voice in my head said "you really should switch lanes NOW".....

That was in southern California, on my '99 USA tour. Pucker factor didn't get back down to below 100 before I crossed the Mississippi....
wedgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #34
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
It was a most surreal experience. I don't know what would happen if you were hit by one of those balls, but it didn't seem like the time to experiment.
They pop the crap out of you.

I had an 8ish inch diameter lightning ball sitting against my clutch handle, mirror post for about 2 seconds one day.
The strike came through 15-20 miles of clear air and hit a chimney and fence then the overvoltage strike scatter came across the road and got my mirror. Part of the charge went straight down from the mirror to the handlebar THROUGH my hand. Careful inspection revealed that scorch marks were on the mirror, under the grip, at the steering head, at the front wheel axle and on the wheel rubber where it jumped to ground. It felt like someone took an sledge hammer and hooked it up to an overhead power line and took a full swing at my hand. I could feel where the strike went through my hand for about 6 months afterward.

That permanent mark on the mirror is now my preflight weather reminder.
Attached Images

Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #35
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Rattlesnake, 5+ feet long, dead,

stretched across a sharp blind canyon corner....and I was riding the Waterbuffalo, a bike known for it's handling :puke...but I just wiggled a lot, didn't fall.

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #36
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
I hit a Four by four, in the dark, at a 45 degree angle. Thank God I was on a GS with some suspension, and not a street bike, which would have kicked me airborne!~

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #37
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
A plastic bag. A really, really big plastic bag - the kind you cover flatbed loads with. The delivery truck in front of me caused it to go airborne as it went by, and the edge of the bag caught my mirror and spun it.

leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #38
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,817
Hit a cow a glancing blow in Utah a few years ago.
several of us on a FS road type road, kind of twisty when all of the sudden a couple of cows come out of the ditch on the downhill side of the two guys in front of me.
they missed them luckily, we were doing maybe 30-35 at the time.

what i didn't see was the cows hidden on the uphill side ditch. one of them popped up out of the ditch directly in front of me.
lots of brakes, bike sliding sideways, luckily the cow started to turn and head straight down the road.
I banged into old Bessie about 10 mph I guess going sideways, we both kinda wobbled but didn't go down.
she did bend my handguard a bit though.

YZF600R, going down I-35 in fairly heavy traffic when the duallie pickup in front of me dropped a brand new recliner out the back.
landed upright perfectly in the middle of my lane, I swerved and missed it easy.
the BMW car behind me wasn't so lucky, he nailed it dead center and all I saw was kindling in my rear view mirror.

I witnessed my buddy hit a frenetic squirrel in southern Mo. a few years ago.
this squirrel ran out in front of him mid corner in a left hander, it couldn't decide which way to go and ran right into his front tire. I saw the bars of his ZX10 waggle pretty good and the squirrel got launched in a perfect arc about 20 feet into the ditch.
It looked like somebody launched that squirrel with a cannon.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #39
catches
n00b

Oddometer: 5
an ostrich. And I was in texas, which is why it was so wierd. One of those exotic animal hunting farms had a fence knocked down by a nasty thunderstorm and this bad boy had gotten out and was running around in the road. Came around a corner and almost tagged him. Wouldn't have been nearly so close, but I was so shocked to see Big Bird in the middle of the street that I just stared at him for a moment.
catches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #40
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
For me riding home last night from work. Down the county roads I get stuck behind a hay truck carring about 20 round bails. Well I am back pretty far, darn hay keeps flying everywhere. We get to the twisty part of this two lane country road and yep you guessed it....off falls a hay bail. I realy did not come close as I was thinking it would happen any minute.
I thaught it was funny, then I got a little shakey, I know what a wet hay bail weighs and I would be squished like a bug.

So what else strange have you had a close call with?
IIRC, the small round bales weigh about 800 pounds and the large round bales weight about 1200 pounds.

I almost hit a black bear one afternoon. He was crossing the highway at the exit of a blind, uphill curve and I had to emergency stop. Until he loped off we were close enough my wonder and amazement quickly changed to concern as to how I would get away if he charged me. It was one of those occasions when a reverse gear on a bike might have been useful.

There's nothing strange about dodging deer, but a mile or so down the road as I was gathering my composure and getting back up to speed, I had to swerve to avoid a momma deer and two fawns crossing. I was a bit rattled and apprehensive the rest of the day.

And nothing particularly strange about squirrels...except one ran between the wheels of my bike at 60 mph. I saw something moving toward me from the right shoulder and didn't have enough time to do anything but brace for an impact that never came. My wife was riding behind me and saw it run between my wheels, drop its nut, turn around, and cross the highway directly in front of her. Damn adrenaline junky squirrels.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #41
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 34,358
A bird falling out of the sky having just been hit by a CBX.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #42
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,458
overseas hwy

Crabs, the size of small dinner plates, crossing the Keys Highway north to south in herds.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #43
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuck
5. another rider... I was working thru traffic, passing buses, etc in the Alps. I thought he saw me, but he didn't. His helmet caught my hand gaurd on the GS with a slight tap. His eyes were about as big as saucers. I shouldn't have been in his lane, but I thought he saw me. Assume..... makes an ASS out of U and ME.
Who cares whether someone assumed or whether he saw you or not.

I would have laughed if I was watching the event and instead he saw you coming, and when you pass him in his own lane, he knocks you off your bike for doing it.

You ride iron butt and you ride like that? wow...

And I thought ADVriders were good riders...

There outta be a separate thread on the riding bastardization of passing riders in their own lane...

I'm with stupid, and I'm alone
charleshmosesii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #44
La_Poderosa_3
It's not freezing!!!!

Oddometer: 164
Squougar

I was riding with some friends in Baja on the 950. We were about 20 miles outside of Tecate in a national park of some kind. Came around a bend and there was a dead cow in the trail, with the insides all eaten. Then I had an encounter with this thing. I wish I could say that I sort of wheelied over it. But I more or less just swerved and was lucky I didn't dump the bike in the adjacent streambed. We named the beast a Squougar because it looked like the offspring of a squirrel and a cougar. Needless to say, it was weird.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #45
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
in Oz Rubbed a three ft tall roo with my front tire... but the wierest was a barbri doll thrown out of a SUV by some evil kid... missed me by a foot or two... was kinda funny in retrospects...

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote