Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #706
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Not that strange, but I cut a squirel in half at 80 mph last week. Poor thing.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #707
warbaby
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2
My buddy...

He was riding a shadow and clipped another rider on a Gixxer at a stop light and almost ending up eating my KLR tread.
warbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #708
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckerwood
This thread is one of the best on ADVrider.

I hate rattlesnakes. About the only creature around that gives me the creeps. I think it is some instinctive mammalian repulsion to reptiles. I have encountered dozens over the years. Stepped on several, had a couple strike at me. I have yet to be bitten, fortunately. Anyway, I was riding my KLR650 down the road the other day. I was in the A portion of the lane, following a car that was almost driving on the shoulder of the road. I was just a little closer than I usually follow because this car was doing about 20 mph under the speed limit. The next thing I know I see this snake come flying up from under the right rear wheel, going end over end in an arc into the air and clearly headed towards my lap. I am fixated on this friggin snake, and I can see a large set of rattles on the end of the tail! It’s funny how something like this happens so fast but your brain processes the information in what seems like slow motion. Fast enough I could not do a thing, but slow enough I could see those rattles and estimate where it was going to land. Fortunately the thing missed my lap by about six inches. I am not sure what kind of protection ATGATT provides against a snake, but I am sure I would have needed it for the fall I would have taken had that snake hit me!
I thought that running over one or two in NV was bad enough (I may have even lifted up my feet when I realized what I was running over)... I'm really not fond of snakes, having one fly at me like that may have put me over the edge!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #709
Longbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Gator

I have hit weird stuff like the rest of you but a 10 to 12 foot gator just down the road from home was my strangest.
Right after I retired I testified for a girl that was riding a Honda Shadow that was hurt very bad in a freak accident. She was passing a semi when a tire blew out and knocked her off the bike at about 65mph.
Longbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #710
faylo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Pissed Retread!

Years ago, I was on my R90/6 returning home from college and stuck in holiday traffic going about 55-60. There was a semi in front of me and a suburban behind. The suburban was tailgating the semi and I was caught in between, he wasn't but about 20 feet behind me. I had moved to the right side of the lane to peak up the shoulder to check on traffic on ahead and as I moved back to the left side of the lane, a retread on the forward set of trailer wheels let go. The rear most set of wheels kicked up the retread and it flew past my right shoulder and demolished the right headlight and grill of the suburban. Well now the suburban driver was pissed and started driving very erratically. I just beat it to the shoulder and took a little break. I remember really wanting a cigarette or two, but I had quit by then.

I have since been told that if you are behind a semi or any big truck that runs retreads and you feel sand hitting you, it could be the glue coming out from under the retread and it may let go. Now I just blast by 'em and have even passed on the shoulder to avoid being stuck behind a one.
faylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #711
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylo
Years ago, I was on my R90/6 returning home from college and stuck in holiday traffic going about 55-60. There was a semi in front of me and a suburban behind. The suburban was tailgating the semi and I was caught in between, he wasn't but about 20 feet behind me. I had moved to the right side of the lane to peak up the shoulder to check on traffic on ahead and as I moved back to the left side of the lane, a retread on the forward set of trailer wheels let go. The rear most set of wheels kicked up the retread and it flew past my right shoulder and demolished the right headlight and grill of the suburban. Well now the suburban driver was pissed and started driving very erratically. I just beat it to the shoulder and took a little break. I remember really wanting a cigarette or two, but I had quit by then.

I have since been told that if you are behind a semi or any big truck that runs retreads and you feel sand hitting you, it could be the glue coming out from under the retread and it may let go. Now I just blast by 'em and have even passed on the shoulder to avoid being stuck behind a one.
The way the retreads are done, no glue comes out, it's fully vulcanized. The only clue you would ever have is the very sliver edge of tire thats starting to peel off, by that point at highway speeds the next revolution or so that fuckers coming off.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #712
wordguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Eek Fore!

In my first week of licensed road riding, I was putting along on my little Honda cruiser down a country back road. Turns out the road went behind the back nine of a golf course. I discovered this when somebody's errant drive landed 18 inches in front of my front tire. It was loud.

To paraphrase somebody's sig: "Calling on all my noob skills, I froze at the controls."

-Alan

(Inane C, sorry to have ripped off your avatar. At least mine's a different crop.)
wordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #713
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Swarm of Bees

I commute to and from work, about 35 miles each way, across farmland and desert, on a company bus. This afternoon, about half way back into town, the bus plowed through a swarm of bees. It sounded like heavy rain for about a second and the front of the bus was covered in bee gore. The driver switched on the driver's-side wiper and the result was just about zero visibility. He kept driving only because he could see around the mess. The whole thing was actually funny, but I don't think it would be so funny if you had that happen to you while riding a motorcycle.

What's the last thing on a bee's mind when it hits the windshield?

(It's ass.)

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 07-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #714
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,670
bird attack

Was out riding smith-west road by round mountain last w/e. I had already seen a deer or 2 at mid-day so slowed down. Caught movement out of my left eye as a beautiful scissor-tailed bird made a run in front of the GS, cleared the bike, flew up, turned around augering in and then did a suicide mission straight into my HT overpants padded right knee

Looked into the mirror as it spun into the grass on the side of the road, stopped and went back hoping I just knocked it out.

apparently not

I've since found out these are pretty aggressive birds.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #715
izcrzy
lurky extraordinaire

Oddometer: 17
Just a close call for me... Last week trying to beat the storm clouds home a bolt of lightning hit a transformer I was zipping past...BIG boom lotsa light and sparks everywhere asshole firmly puckered to seat. Then just as I was starting to relax I remembered a small dip in the road ahead. Trying to plan a bit ahead I slid to the inside of the lane to minimize any possible puddle/motorcycle issues. Yup good plan...until I realized water was already half way into the other lane. That's right two puckers in one simple ride home. and another valuable lesson...an SV1000 can be a jetski on occasion. I drank some rum when I got home.
izcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #716
Rob00GT
Meekly venturing out.

Oddometer: 83
Eek Might not have been a retread at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
The way the retreads are done, no glue comes out, it's fully vulcanized. The only clue you would ever have is the very sliver edge of tire thats starting to peel off, by that point at highway speeds the next revolution or so that fuckers coming off.
I was behind an SUV pulling a horse trailer about a year ago. Could smell it before I saw it (the tire, not the horses). Looked over and saw an underinflated tire on the left side of the trailer. It smelled, then smoked, then blew, then disentegrated. By that time I was slightly ahead as I knew it was coming.

Two lessons I learned from that experience? 1) Sometimes you can smell it before it blows. 2) Two chicks in an SUV pulling a trailer will not notice they've blown a tire until somebody pulls alongside, honks, and points at it.
Rob00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #717
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
A big, plaid Barcalounger chair with footrest in the extended position that had fallen off a pick-up truck on I-475 around Toledo, OH. It was in the middle of my lane but I managed to avoid contact as I went past.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #718
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,322
Fire extingusher here in Edmonton. I got it off the road before the next guy tagged it.
Same day on one of my favorite trails someone dropped a full size cooler in the middle of the trail just over the rise on a hill. I missed it, went back picked it up and took it home. Might as well us it as revenge.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #719
gaulstat
Keep on riding

Oddometer: 350
While riding trough Yellowstone national park I was a few minutes behind this car, and I could have been the one on my VSTROM hiting this moose.

Car vs Moose

This Moose has a broken left rear leg.
gaulstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #720
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Saw a 150 lb or so bear out of the corner of my eye barrelling off the hill at Shenandoah NP two days ago. Checking my mirrors I saw nothing but black and knew he just barely missed my rear tire while running across the road. I saw two others 15 miles before, about two miles apart from each other, so I was on high alert. Almost t-boned by a cub. Phew...close one!