Are you sure it wasn't a Goldwing?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #722
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
I wonder which are worse Roos or Deer?
Unless Kangaroos have Antlers I have to vote deer are more dangerous. In addition to being nuerotic and stupid, when they see a light atnight they'll run towards it. And, they have frikkin ANTLERS!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #723
Poveiro
ADV dreamer

Oddometer: 7
Coming from the US in the evening and on the same evening, missed by very closed 2 deers at difference spots and a f... Turkey taking off from the side ditch, passed near my head for a couple of inches.
Poveiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #724
seadog55
Smitty

Oddometer: 36
Armadillo

I ran over an Armadillo that jumped out in front of my pickup truck. It went burrrumppp under the truck. It kinda felt like I ran over a basketball. seadog55
seadog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #725
jdonly1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
A big arse Goanna
jdonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #726
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
I fishied on the guts of a deer yesterday.
Interupted a hot meal being had by the vultures and when one took off, it still had intestine in it's clutches.
It pulled the the innerds across the only part of the road I could go on.
Oncomming traffic on the left and a ditch to my right.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #727
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
After some of the stories here I hardly feel like my skunk kills are worth mentioning, but it is important to note that if you hit them square in the head with your front tire your bike hardly moves and they die before they can spray you.

(B.T.W. Two so far and a opossum using the same technique.)

Other than that I managed to avoid a matress that fell out of a garbage truck on the high rise bridge in Milwaukee on morning, that would have sucked.

JT
Impulse 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #728
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse 101
After some of the stories here I hardly feel like my skunk kills are worth mentioning, but it is important to note that if you hit them square in the head with your front tire your bike hardly moves and they die before they can spray you.

(B.T.W. Two so far and a opossum using the same technique.)

Other than that I managed to avoid a matress that fell out of a garbage truck on the high rise bridge in Milwaukee on morning, that would have sucked.

JT
I generally aim at the animal. they too often switch directions at the last second giving a surprise. if you were aimed at them in the first place then no worries.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #729
twopiper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
it's a short list (wierd ones anyways)
1. One big assed bat off my helmet just above my visor
2. A load of blown up river runner inner tubes off a rust bucket P/U makes one hell of a slalom run.
twopiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #730
TonyBlonie
Farkle this!

Oddometer: 26
3 things

Back when I was 14 I crested a hill on a dirt road going way too fast and ran over a large ground hog. I was on a KE100 and he managed to roll over on his back before I rolled over him. He looked to be all teeth and claws and I was practically standing on the tank by the time we parted!

A couple weeks later I was racing through our pasture, (seems at 14 I was racing everywhere), to check out the new dam we had just had built when I crested a hill and almost hit a pickup parked sideways with 4 legs sticking out the passenger door. Seems the guy who built the dam was showing his handy work to his girlfriend and also a little more! I skidded to a stop with my front wheel almost planted in the cab, turned around as quick as I could and took off. Don't know what surprised me more, the ground hog or that big beaver!

This spring I went on my first ride of the season and was behind a pickup delivering phone books when evidently a box of plastic bags opened up and several hundred came blowing out and right at me. One landed across my face shield blinding me and several wrapped across my arms and chest. I could see just enough of the edge of the road to slow down and stop with out crashing. Last I saw of the truck it was still going and blanketing the highway in a tornado of plastic.
TonyBlonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #731
Uthor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I was riding down the road today. The only vehicle going either way for about a block. I was coming upon a bunch of guys in safety vests (construction workers?) on the sidewalk protesting a bar for some reason. As I got close, they threw a big plastic cooler full of water bottles and ice into the road. I was in the left lane and it landed in the right lane and I had enough time to stop, so I just had to dodge a couple water bottles, but why did they throw it in the first place?
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #732
psadventure
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Eh? stuff i hit

baby's high chair : complete tublular steel unit at night on 71 east of Austin (approx 75 mph); clipped it with my left foot.

plastic construction barrel rolled out onto I-20 east of Atlanta at night; clipped it with my right foot at about 65 mph.
psadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #733
gunny_usmc
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Unless Kangaroos have Antlers I have to vote deer are more dangerous. In addition to being nuerotic and stupid, when they see a light atnight they'll run towards it. And, they have frikkin ANTLERS!
deer are in my book, only because I hit one last year at 70mph on my return from Moab on my KLR.

Hit a porcupine last weekend, was fun fixing 2 flat tires on the side of the road. Used every bit of my patch kit. 11 punctures in two tires. Spent most the time pulling quills out of the tires.

porcupine walked away.
1978 RD 400
" I'm flat out like a lizard drinking "
gunny_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #734
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
A family size pizza box on the motorway/freeway that a truck kicked up when on the CBX around 140kmh.
It hit at eyebrow level like a sun visor,i guess it was a good thing there was no pizza in it.

I remember a mate having to duck ( GSX1100) down on the fuel tank when a sheet of plastic roofing came off the back of a truck.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #735
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_usmc
Hit a porcupine last weekend, was fun fixing 2 flat tires on the side of the road. Used every bit of my patch kit. 11 punctures in two tires. Spent most the time pulling quills out of the tires.
Are you having fun with us? Quills can pierce the tires that easily?
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote