Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #766
snurdle
The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer: 2,473
Set off for work this morning, soon after the sun has come up.

I live on a 1/2 mile long private road (steep hill) in the Tahoe area and when I leave I never start the bike, just push off and roll down the hill so I don't disturb the neighbours. My commute/distance/almost everything/everyday bike is an 05 GS, with no engine I get almost no brakes, so typically I roll to the bottom of the road and turn the ignition on and start the engine before needing to slow for a bend and to give way to join the public road at the bottom. I had the front of my Shoei Multitec up, and am rolling along approx 20-25mph. The only sound from the bike is a bit of wheel whirring and the suspension over the road bumps. Towards the bottom there are some access grates/plates for water sewage and power in the road, I always weave around them on the way up the hill, but going down I just take a direct path. I go over the access cover, "Clang, clang" sound from the cover and with that an ENORMOUS brown bear runs startled from a car port no more than 10-15ft in front of me, I heaved on the front brake as hard as I could, even added the rear brake (with the Beemer linked system I get used to never using the rear) the only thing that really prevented the collision was the bear having been startled by the "clang" had run straight from the car port and turned down the hill while I'm doing the feeble no power assisted braking. We converged and from about 10ft down to 6-12'' over a second or two with me pulling the lever and trying to swerve to not clip the bear. Really scarey almost low speed/slow motion near miss. Then the bear managed to pull away and I slowed to less than the bears running speed.
The bear having got clear then slowed to a sort of trot as it ran towards the end house where it can turn back up the hill behind the houses. The bear on all fours was a bit lower than my GS, but just approximating I would have guessed it around 600lbs, big paws, thick legs, and a very nice fur coat.
I'm following about 20ft behind. The bear looks round a few times, it has a big set of teeth and large jaws and I'm starting to consider that it may feel its time to turn and fight this weird rolling quiet thing (me) but at the same time I'm hoping that I can get my cellphone and take a snap before it is gone.

Bear turns at the end house. I pull up but I'm facing downhill and the bike is fully loaded (two tyres and a pair of shocks strapped on the top of the passenger seat)so it takes me a few seconds to get off and then three attempts to press the menu then * button on my phone to unlock it.
I got a snap from maybe 40ft but with a phone the photo is feeble and slightly blurred (methinks this shook me up a bit) the photo just shows a little brown blob and doesn't do justice to how scarey follwed by amazing the whole thing was.

I get back on the bike, start it and ride 15 yds more and turn the corner onto the road. At about 15mph a dog flies out of nowhere and takes a demented lunge at the bike hitting the engine bar. I stop, the owner comes out of the only house at that corner, apologising and saying she doesn't know what got into the dog, but it was going crazy and flew out the moment she opened the door.

It obviously smelled/saw the bear and went a bit nuts. I explained all that preceeded to the owner. dog was OK, and then I set off for work.

Quite the morning, no need for a coffee for me today.
snurdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #767
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by snurdle
Set off for work this morning, soon after the sun has come up...no need for a coffee for me today.
Woof, that's somthin'....err, umm I mean grrrrr...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #768
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Two days ago I was exploring around the western Iowa hills on my KLR. I was heading north down a minimum maintenance road, with high-cut sides that were well covered with brush. As I am slowing in second gear, going downhill and preparing for a very sharp left-hand turn, two deer jump out of the brush at my 11:00 position, into the roadway, and going across it. I pulled in clutch and hit both brakes. As I was sliding to a halt, I felt an impact on my left hand side, and next thing I know, I'm in the dirt. Turning my head, I catch a glimpse of a doe bopping down the road in the direction from which I came.

I guess I can still say that I've been fortunate enough never to hit a deer while riding a motorcycle, as technically she hit me. It took me a couple minutes to get the bike righted as I was laughing so hard. Worst part was that I never even got her license plate number.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #769
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Barb wire fence. Sorta. Was cruising (50 mph -- way too fast) down an unfamiliar gravel road on my pretty new Honda SL125 back in the '70s, not paying too much attention, when I happened on a right angle turn.

No way I was going to make it. Fortunately, I was wearing pretty good gear for the time -- full-face helmet, Army field jacket with liner, boots -- so I just laid it down in a pretty good lowside. So I'm sliding down the road alongside the bike at about 30 mph thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad. Actually, it's pretty cool." (I was young then.) Then I saw the barb wire fence coming at me. The bike was off to one side and got hung up in the ditch. I shot across the ditch, went under the lower strand of barb wire and came to a stop a few feet into the adjoining field. Only real damage to me was a scratched helmet and torn jeans (hung up getting back across the fence). Straightened the handlebars and readjusted bent front fender and rode the bike home (somewhat slower).

Lesson learned without serious dents.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #770
Kewaneh
Where am I?

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by snurdle
Set off for work this morning, soon after the sun has come up.
...an ENORMOUS brown bear...
...around 600lbs, big paws, thick legs,...
...a big set of teeth and large jaws...
... (methinks this shook me up a bit) ...
Quite the morning, no need for a coffee for me today.
Doood! Shook up a bit? I don't think I'd need coffee for a week!
- Kewaneh
New tools are no replacement for old rules.
Kewaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #771
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 951
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #772
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Mmrrraoooow!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #773
henerythe8th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How about a full grown...

Peacock!
Came around a corner in a rural area near Touchet, WA and next to the shear wall at the RH shoulder was a blue peacock. As I approached -- it decided that it wanted to go home and jumped up to fly there, right in my path! I braked, it changed directions just before impact, with feathers in full spread, with my head.

I continued on my way with the ole heart a thumpin and the wife, riding pillion, patting me on my shoulders implying good job!
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #774
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Hit a Canada Goose about a month ago. Saw the flock take off in front of me and I was sure one was going to hit my face shield so I put the head down and it bounced off the top of my helmet as I was doing about 90kph. Neck was sore for a day or so.
Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #775
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Cool2

I have travelled many miles in 30+ years...many of those miles at warp speed in my younger days...so I have claimed quite a few hits and near misses...the standounts were my first deer that tried to jump my old Zuk GS1100E and hit the headlight assembly and flipped still alive into my lap at about 70 mph(managed to slow to that from the 100+)Ever had a startled doe in your lap at 70mph???? flipped her off and she ran like hell...i changed underwear....that happened so fast, almost forgot to be scared...lol...Another bad one was when I shelled a tire o the rear of my V65 while racing some other bikes...entire tire came off the rim and I had no control on a corner with a 18 wheeler coming headon...he locked it down sliding sideways making for a 70 foot obstacle instead of a 10 foot one...I rode the bike sideways into the barely missing the trailer...the rim caught traction and I stopped without a mishap except for another set of underwear...My most recent was in 06 when I went down on a patch of ice(that shit slick...lol) I landed right over the center line and I look up to see an old Pontiac Catalina headed right for me...I roll just qick enough to get missed but felt the wind off the tires of the Pontiac !!! picked my bike p and rode to work where an ambulance followed the blood, was not far and did not realize i was bleedin...lol...Armadillos and turtles are a bit interestin too....lol...still lookin for that sucker in the Pontiac...though!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #776
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Deer that........ever had a startled doe in your lap .................icked my bike p and rode to work where an ambulance followed the blood, was not far and did not realize i was bleedin...lol...Armadillos and turtles are a bit interestin too....
Dude...that's some serious luck. I'd rather be lucky than smart...anyway, ever hear of "If the beastie is of the size that you could eat it in one sitting it's OK to run it over" ????

Thinkin' of armadillos and turtles makes me question that. Goin' over one of them might be like getting a flattened soda can right under your tire...see ya!

Great stories.

-B
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #777
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Cool2

The Armadillo was my fault for chasing him out of the yard...he won that one...KLR and I bit the dust...lol ...the Turtle....nicked him and shot him across the road like a hockey puck!!! ...but yeah I will take luck anyday...God takes care fools sometimes....lol ..........
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #778
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
The Armadillo was my fault for chasing him out of the yard...he won that one...KLR and I bit the dust...lol ...the Turtle....nicked him and shot him across the road like a hockey puck!!! ...but yeah I will take luck anyday...God takes care fools sometimes....lol ..........

Gotta share this one...it's not on an MC, but it was in the mud with a very cool vehicle, you'll like, I think:

I was a tank driver, back in 1988 and hauling ass (as much as a M48 can) across rough terrain and just loving it. Not much of a suspension and we're just breakin' ribs, holding on for dear life, my TC (tank commander..."Staff Sergeant Lester Lee Roy Keller, bless his soul) is yelling, "faster you pussy" and he's the guy getting tossed around most...

I come over a hill (first roadwheels and track leaving the ground...can't get a tank airborne, but you can get it off the front part of the suspension)...in a split second I see and understand this: a mother Killdeer doing the broken wing thing away from us...how silly, why is she...then just as we're coming down I look right in front of the track, little cute, sweet, innocent, defenseless baby killdeers, all peeping in their nest...I'm sayin' "ohhhhh shiiiittt"....there is nothing to be done......sploooshh, into the mud and rock. Done.

Lester was doing grief counseling with me that night...hell I was just a kid, but man, I was really down about it. Still bugs me...

I never hit any anamules with my bike...but I did have a run in with a squirrel once: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

MoBill screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 04:34 PM
Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #779
Crepular
Ride, Drop, Repeat. . .

Oddometer: 1,652
A bumper fell off a travel trailer I was riding behind on I-5 once. It was a relief I didn't hit the metal part. The disappointment was getting sprayed with leftover sewage from the hose that was stored INSIDE the bumper.

"Wit, after all, is the unfailing symptom of intelligence." --
Christopher Hitchens

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Crepular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #780
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepular
A bumper fell off a travel trailer I was riding behind on I-5 once. It was a relief I didn't hit the metal part. The disappointment was getting sprayed with leftover sewage from the hose that was stored INSIDE the bumper.

Auuuggghhhhck, that rates high on the scale of suck.