Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #811
Dutch Mo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Fridge, fell of a junktruck, and a front bumper of a Honda CRX wich crashed into a car in front of me.
Dutch Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #812
Cooler
Farkle king.

Oddometer: 88
Bambi nearly got me.

A week and a half ago I got off the Balfour Ferry and was headed for Nelson, BC taking my time in the heavy traffic when Bmbi came out of the ditch. a roadster going the other direction clipped its back leg and it landed in my lane in front of me. I swerved to the right and stopped along with the traffic following me. The pickup driver following the roadster drug Bambi off the road and called the consertation officer. The roadster took the hit and saved me the trouble. Thank God for Guardian angels!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #813
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,440
Anyone swarm the corpse? Who's got dibs and knows the deer butcher?!?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #814
GuzziTriumphEnfield
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
On the bike I hit a bat that was flying through the woods, hit me in the shoulder, actually hurt a Lot, but didn't dislodge me, and didn't kill the bat - which after a moment departed my shoulder.

In the car I drove through a plate glass window which came off the back of a truck.. had it not fallen the way it did - I drove through it like it was a wall before it hit the ground - had it not - had it stayed parallel to the road I'd have been dead.
GuzziTriumphEnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #815
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Hit by a turkey vulture - came through the windshield of a TH-55 (Hughes 300/Schweizer 300) back in '71 - quite a surprise to the student pilot, too, as the bird ended up smashed against the aft bulkhead between us. A quick radio call and a precautionary landing were made. The helicopter was taken back to Ft Wolters near Mineral Wells, TX on a trailer. We rode back in a Jeep to fill out a mountain of paperwork. The vulture gave it all he had - Man, do they eat some smelly rotten stuff!

Almost collided with a big horn sheep in the Big Bend country, TX, 6/08. As I came barrelling around a blind curve, he began to scramble out of the way and uphill (no shoulder), kicking rocks all over the pavement into my path.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #816
Pentacleus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hawk

I was riding some very curvey roads in east TN and was following a buddy of mine. He scared a hawk that had just made a kill on the side of the road. Who knows, maybe a mouse or something. When my buddy startled it, it took to the sky and came across the road right at me. It swooped up, I ducked down. All I heard were its talons clicking when they hit my helmet. No injuries to either of us.. Just a good story (of course better told in person)
Pentacleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #817
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
I almost hit a bike the other day that fell off a car at 80 mph. I probably coulda just jumped it!

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #818
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoecutter
I almost hit a bike the other day that fell off a car at 80 mph. I probably coulda just jumped it!
"Do a pop-a-wheelie!!"
Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #819
FemmeFatale
Perpetual Motion

Oddometer: 3,597
3 lane highway...noticed a truck about 2 cars ahead in the slow lane...full of old furniture...that "gut" voice said move over to the fast lane...fast...

About 2 min later a coffee table came out and shattered in the middle lane...I missed it completely...

WHEW!!

Travel is fatal to hatred and bigotry. - William Porter
FemmeFatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #820
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Had a scary moment on I-69 last month when I came across a load of TOILET SEATS strewn across the road (I was following a truck a bit too closely). I was 750+ miles into my first Iron Butt ride.

I nearly soiled myself, which would have been appropriate I guess. Those things looked more comfortable than my stock seat though! I rode over a few of them, but managed to miss the big pile.

I also noticed two cars about a mile or so past the scene with flat tires (I think one had TWO flats!) What were those seats decorated with? Chrome spikes?!?!
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #821
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,536
Tuesday after work I took my usual dirt detour on the way home over Hog Creek. Right off the bat, had a couple deer run across the road, no biggie, usually see at least a half dozen on this trip.

I get over the first good hill and start down the other side. It's a pretty good slope with sharp twisty corners and lots of loose gravel. I'm running about 40 mph when all of the sudden a fairly large black bear comes out of nowhere up the bank and almost T-bones me!

I locked the rear and started fish tailing and I yelled out WHOOOOAAAA! The bear turned and ran a few yards in front of me before heading down a near vertical cat slide.

I got off the brakes and gave her some throttle and saved myself from going down. I was feeling a little edgy though and the ol' ticker was getting a good workout
So I stopped up on the next hill and drank an Obsidian Stout to calm the nerves
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #822
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 264
Bizarre

Ok, here's a new one for me!

During a sedate tour around the Finger Lake region of NY I narrowly avoided a pre-roadkilled baby pig, then not even a half mile later had to avoid a red fox in similar condition. The odds of seeing either one is pretty slim, but of seeing both of them?! Yeah.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #823
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
A couple of weeks ago I was riding over to the coast, and I was following a car full of cyclists who were towing a trailer full of bikes. All of the sudden a tarp came flying out of the trailer and blew past me. All I could think was that it would have been like falling into a swimming pool and getting tangled up in the cover... at 60mph. Nobody in the car even knew what had happened until I pulled them over. There were two ladies and three guys in the car. I was so freakin' pissed, and I let them know it. One of the guys started to get out of the car and I told him, 'You'd better stay in that fucking car, or all three of you had better get out.' He got back in the car.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #824
johnnywideopen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
'You'd better stay in that fucking car, or all three of you had better get out.' He got back in the car.
bwaa ha haa!

johnnywideopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #825
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mac
Had a scary moment on I-69 last month when I came across a load of TOILET SEATS strewn across the road
How shitty is that?