Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #76
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
While riding on I-80 in Sacramento, CA, I was following "Dualy" pickup in the 3rd of 4
lanes. I couldn't see much of the road ahead of the truck. The truck rolled right over a
4'x8'x2" sheet of styrofoam that was in the road. The draft created behind the truck
sucked it up to vertical right in front of me. I didn't have any time to react, and my immediate
choice was to center-punch it rather than try to go to the side and probably catch a corner of it.
But, the turbulance continued to suck the foam up and away from me. Lucky break.
I'll never know if it was the right choice.
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #77
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 491
Squidley, the early years. 1985, on my 84 Interceptor doing about a hundred on an Oklahoma backroad heading to work. Three Brahma heifers come out of the brush tails up running WFO. I center punched the last one. Fortunately, my Izod jacket and Shoe helmet took most of the damage. Too bad I had on Topsiders and no socks. I had some decent road rash on my ankles and feet.
When I took the bike to the local shop, the first thing the service writer asked was "Horse or cow?". He said he saw it all the time.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #78
bikeslut
adventurous stud

Oddometer: 1,595
play pen mobile

today- 80 mph in the fast lane... missed it by a foot... no baby underneath...
bikeslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #79
turbo510
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I had a close call with, believe it or not, a kitchen sink. One of the big stainless steel ones. It fell off the back of a contractors truck in front of me.
turbo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #80
SIKLR250
NYC

Oddometer: 507
A month or so ago, I was riding past a New York City public housing project (on Staten Island) and someone threw a kids' juice box at me from behind a parked car. It passed right in front of my face shield and hit the ground. I was fine, so I didn't think it was worth the risk (e.g., meeting a gang of kids while alone) and kept going.

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #81
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I was riding my '81 CB750C through Cathedral City CA one night. The light vibrated so much that it would tip down and I would have to pull up on it once in a while. Well that while came and as I reach over and pull on the light a shopping cart appears right in front of me. I swerved hard with one hand still on the light and avoided it. How I swerved like that with one hand I have no idea
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #82
mavbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Don't follow the trucks

On Interstate highway, right lane, speed limit. 18-wheeler is passing in left lane. I am just behind the trailer. I notice what looks like paper sliding on the road ahead of me (I figure from the wind of the car ahead passing over it).
When suddenly the wind from the truck beside me catches it. It lifts off the road and I realize, "That Aint Paper." I lean right as it passes over my left shoulder, about where my head was. I can see the letters on the side as it passes. It was a license plate.
OK,,,it doesn't seam that bad, but I was wearing a half helmet and tee shirt. (No I don't ride in shorts and sandles too)

So I ask myself? Why did I buy that half helmet
mavbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #83
frankietheyankee
NJ Geezer

Oddometer: 254
Skirting the issue

Heading up to the Loudon road races one year, on I95 in Connecticut. Since I worked shift, I was on the road about 2 in the morning. A clapped out Cadillac flew by me on the left. A little bit ahead of me, his rear tire goes flat, the caddie starts dragging the right rear. Swerves across the road, showering sparks. A rear wheel fender skirt flies off and is left spinning across the road right in front of me.

Several years later, coming back from Loudon, I95 in Connecticut. As I'm passing a semi, this thing comes out of an open panel on the trailer. It was an elephant's trunk. There was a section of the trailer that had bars like a cage and I guess the elephant was trying to guess how fast they were going. Kind of freaked me out.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #84
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 847
Eek Donner und Blitzen!

Doing about 75 mph north of Sydney, Australia in a thunderstorm, when lightning struck a tree near the road, sending an eight foot by one foot shard of timber across the road in front of me at chest height.
It didn't have to hit me. The blast of the thunder done a damn fine job!

By the way.The trajectory was horizontal, which gives indication og the speed it was doing!
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #85
coltgovt
Banned

Oddometer: 131
A 10 foot alligator.
coltgovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #86
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgeman
12' 4x4 that the trailertruck in front of me just hit at 80mph.. It was about 5' off the ground, doing the helicoptor spin...

not 20 seconds before, I had been tailgating the truck (for 20miles), and this little voice in my head said "you really should switch lanes NOW".....

That was in southern California, on my '99 USA tour. Pucker factor didn't get back down to below 100 before I crossed the Mississippi....
whoa, no shit, I know what you mean about that little voice. It saved my ass but good one dark night as I was tucked in and hauling ass on my Ducati 916 down the hill on the 4-lane just over The TN border from Mars Hill, NC. I'd been in the "passing lane" for miles and miles and then suddenly, a little "voice" in my head starts saying to move over to the other lane. OK....

The next corner I hold the turn but gas it up and let the bike run wide into the other lane and then WHOOSH, right under my left foot, I run right by a railroad tie lying diagonally across the lane I was just in. There is no doubt in my mind that if I was still in that other lane I would have hit it and from the size and angle of the thing, I would have gone down. Hard...

I've heard that voice from time to time since then and have been very careful to pay attention to it.

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #87
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
When I picked up the Dakar. It wa a spur of the moment buy so I didn't bring my lid. Well, my wife was following me in the Tundra in the far right lane. I'm fighting off the Chicago southbound wind as I ride north. In the adjacent lane a piece of semi tire was present when a Jeep Cherokee came flying, pitching the tire in the air.

Luckily it went in the far left lane.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #88
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,992
Last summer while riding down a 2 lane highway in Tennessee I had a dualy pickup truck pass me going the other way towing a boat trailer ( no boat) well as the truck is approaching about a car length ahead I notice the trailer looks odd. As I get even with the middle of the truck I realize that the trailer is decelerating. As I get even with the trailer it has come unattached from the truck and is on its own going down the road. luckily the trailer took a path off the other side of the road and never cross my lane. if it did i would have been FUBAR. I saw the trailer come off and go over the bank and I looked in my rear view and the guy in the truck never knew it. I didnt bother to go after him. I wondered what he thought when he got to where he was going and there was no trailer. And if I remember correctly it was a pretty good drop off the side of the road to the field below so it might not stick right out.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #89
curtass
Shoei saved my skull!

Oddometer: 47
Odd collision, anyway...

On the echo trail NW of Ely, MN on memorial day weekend, two deer ran into each other 30 ft in front of me. I tried not to laugh too hard...karma, etc...
curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #90
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Pretty much every morning, I almost get hit by BATS. They are sucking up the bugs on this one road I used to go to work in wee hours of the am. The bats fly like drunken sailors so I am watching for the bats up in the air , and looking for the bugs in the headlight beam.

SWARMS of Idontknowwtf bugs STILL hit me in the face so those bats better start eating faster. It must look funny to the cage behind me, everytime I see a swarm, I tilt my head down to plow though the little bastards with the top of my helmet. It must look like I am passing out every couples of seconds. I hate bugs.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote