Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #1486
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
CB400F supermotard conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Woody-Not ADV specific by any means.

Got an old 75 Honda CB400F SuperSport. Looking to retro mod it to fit 17" radial tires (110/70/17 front & 140 or 150/70/17 rear). This tire size is commonnow on Yamaha's WR 250 motard, so I am sure I can find good rubber in those sizes. This would allow me to keep the retro look but run modern rubber. My other option would be to swap out the forks and all for a modern front end and use sportbike wheels, but that'd really take away the retro look. I guess I am looking at the DUcati SPort Classic type of look with their 17" wheels.

If I were to disassemble the stock wheels and send hubs to you, what do you think can be done with wider 17" rims and new spokes on the ancient hubs? How narrow a rim can be run to use the tire sizes I mentioned above (3"F and 4" R?)? Maybe a bronze coloured rim? If not, black would do.
first tell me how much room you have between the fork legs and swing-arm in the general area where a 17 ''tire would make contact...

holler

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #1487
Bruce Caldwell
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Holy Shit!, I'm practically speachless. Just sat down to drink a cup of coffee before I go to work & thought i'd ask Woody a question for my brother & to my great surprise, My Very Own Wheels Right Before My Very Own Eyes. You & your crew have out done yourselves! My Wheels are absolutely beautiful. I know the pics don't compare to seeing them in the flesh. THANK YOU WOODY, ZACK & STAFF! Can't wait till thursday or so. By the way, not that it matters much, but my bike is an 1100 not an 1150.
Now to the question for my bro. Woody, my brother has a Ducati Hypermotard S, the hotted up version with the Marchesini forged wheels. They are painted/powder coated black in stock form. He wants to know if they could be anodized gold? If not, what about powder coating? Thanks again.

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #1488
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

it gives us GREAT pleasure,,,if ya only knew!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell
Holy Shit!, I'm practically speachless. Just sat down to drink a cup of coffee before I go to work & thought i'd ask Woody a question for my brother & to my great surprise, My Very Own Wheels Right Before My Very Own Eyes. You & your crew have out done yourselves! My Wheels are absolutely beautiful. I know the pics don't compare to seeing them in the flesh. THANK YOU WOODY, ZACK & STAFF! Can't wait till thursday or so. By the way, not that it matters much, but my bike is an 1100 not an 1150.
Now to the question for my bro. Woody, my brother has a Ducati Hypermotard S, the hotted up version with the Marchesini forged wheels. They are painted/powder coated black in stock form. He wants to know if they could be anodized gold? If not, what about powder coating? Thanks again.
i figured we owed ya one,,,being as patient and impatient as you were...

thanks for the correction,,,it won't affect the outcome,,but i corrected it .

we could certainly handle your brothers request either way...we have far more control over the color outcome by powder-coating,,,since every alloy has a different result when anodizing....,,,circa $150-200 depending on how hard your old stuff is to get off.,,,FYI...it cost you a little more with us because we NEVER...EVER sandblast any alloy components....sand although super quick n easy ruins the components,,eats an extraordinary amount of metal away with every swipe...we use a mixture of button hole chips and aluminum oxide as well as glass beads in our media blasters.

your wheels will be detailed and shipped today

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 05:24 AM
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #1489
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
woody, any idea when my wheels will be shipped back to me?

George
Buchanan NY
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #1490
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Woody in all his Grace loan me a set of wheels until I can get my own..

What else can you say but..

To make a Altar front and center for everybody to see.

Gracias Senor, Hecho de Palo
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #1491
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

update on nytrashman project

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman
woody, any idea when my wheels will be shipped back to me?

George
Buchanan NY
your rim is at anodiser,,, should be back in time to build and send out this friday,,sorry,,we just got swamped and had guys out sick,,,we didn't forget you

woody
Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1492
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
thanks Woody, can't wait to see them.

George
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #1493
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
640 adventure front wheel

Woody,

I'm not sure if your website prices are accurate...can you confirm that I am looking at ~$400 for a new 1.6x21 Excel black rim, s/s spokes and nipples, superlaced to my front hub?

thanks
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #1494
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

www website prices vs real time$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer
Woody,

I'm not sure if your website prices are accurate...can you confirm that I am looking at ~$400 for a new 1.6x21 Excel black rim, s/s spokes and nipples, superlaced to my front hub?

thanks
oh lordy sellmeyer...

i haven't looked at that website in a coons age...we are rebuilding it because no one but cRash knows the code to modify or add/change anything in it...

i think the problem with your 640 frront rim is it has the euro lace pattern

so we have to custom drill a silver rim circa$150 add $75 to strip and anodize black,,spoke kits are circa $105-125 dependingon ss or zartan nipples superlace is $99=$429-449..as close as i can get off th etop of mu ol head at this hour of the night

woody
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #1495
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
oh lordy sellmeyer...

i think the problem with your 640 frront rim is it has the euro lace pattern

woody

I'd be content with whatever spoke pattern is dictated by my hub; its actually a 950 hub...forget which year right now.

In any case I wanted to know what ballpark I was in so I could budget accordingly.

-thanks
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1496
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

on some items we do partial trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer
I'd be content with whatever spoke pattern is dictated by my hub; its actually a 950 hub...forget which year right now.

In any case I wanted to know what ballpark I was in so I could budget accordingly.

-thanks
some of your stuff has value to somebody
we've helped more than one soul unload stuff,,,
woody
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #1497
Bok Befok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Woody wheels between a 06 KTM 950 and 07 KTM990(ABS). Is the hubs the same. will the 06 wheels fit the 07 with ABS. I know i need to change the rotors. Is everything else the same?
Bok Befok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #1498
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
circrca $270 depending on what rim we use recycling your spokes and lace pattern

circa $400 for superlace,,,beefy sss spokes n nipples +one year warranty against loosening spokes

woody
Ok, similar question. F800GS.... I've got another month or two in Reno before riding season. I have a few dings in the stock 21" front from riding hard off-raod. Here are my questions:

Front: Looks like est $400 for new (next size narrower?) excel rim w/ superlace.
1) I know you recomend a bit narrower right? What size is stock and what is recommended?. Not excited about narrower on streets but if less chance of a bent rim I'll do it.
2) I want to either go tubless or run the "tubliss" system in the front. What is my best option(s) here and prices? Assume we reuse my front hub.

Rear: I want a tubless conversion. So do I convert to 18" rear rim? How much if I re-use my stock hub?

I'll take my answers off the air. Thanks Woody!!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #1499
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

another F800GS wheel conversion...with recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Ok, similar question. F800GS.... I've got another month or two in Reno before riding season. I have a few dings in the stock 21" front from riding hard off-road. Here are my questions:

Front: Looks like est $400 for new (next size narrower?) excel rim w/ superlace.

1) I know you recomend a bit narrower right? What size is stockBehr 2.15x21and what is recommended?.1.85x21 fro 50/50 road/dirt work,,,1.6x21 for rough offroad riding
1Not excited about narrower on streets but if less chance of a bent rim I'll do it. so far all the feedback out there confirms the above suggestions,,no negative issues on the road with them either,,however major improvements in cornering off -road!!! not to mention minimizing bending the rims!!!,,,stands to reason and the laws of physics,,,better alloy rim as well as improved /reduced lever arm,,[you physics majors can chime in for the appropriate word]

2) I want to either go tubless or run the "tubliss" system in the front. What is my best option(s) here and prices? Assume we reuse my front hub.we won't seal any 21 front that has no safety bead,,,tubliss is for off-road only so what you do is up to you,,,my troops have abandoned installing the system because of how long it takes/how hard it is to get it right every time /the first time....we get quite a few customers who storm in frustrated and say ''you do it!!!'',,well,they tried and can see why the customers are frustrated,,not to mention the kit ends up arriving chewed up,,,ie improper technique+improper tools can chew up the delicate edges of the tubliss's inner tire assy,,,causing subsequent leaks

Rear: I want a tubless conversion. can do...$99So do I convert to 18" rear rim?you'll want to convert to 18x2.5 for the better handling characteristics in the dirt as well as the broader array of genuine knobbies to choose from

How much if I re-use my stock hub? you'll save $549 ie the price of the complete billet wheel assy or similar numbers for just the oem hub itself...[the hub bare is$410 plus over $100 in bearings /spacers/seals]

I'll take my answers off the air. sorry,i aired em because this thread is here for all of us to learn from,,and could possibly save me from having to say it all over againThanks Woody!!

woody
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #1500
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,306
Ok, so I am clear on price here.

Front: Go it. I'd go to the 1.85 x 21 rim & reuse my hub. So price = either $270 for rim if I use my spokes and lace pattern or $400 to upgrade to superlace and SSS spokes and nipples. Right? Other options between? Recommendation for a 60/40 road/street rider. Thinking the $270 is good for me here.

Rear: Just to clarify here - Is the $99 to convert my rear rim to tubless? Is that sealing my nipples and if so is it study enough for off road? Or is that an 18" rim too? If no, then how much for the 18" rim laced onto my hub - keep in mind I'd still want it tubless and which option is better or worse?