User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #1516
JB44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
'06 Triumph Bonneville

I feel the urge to replace the rim and spokes of my Bonneville T-100's front wheel (2.5 X 19).

How much to replace them with something more weather resistant and sturdy?

Do I send the whole wheel or just the hub?

Thanks.

jb
JB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #1517
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 226
Another

When I have you do my F800 18" conversion would it be better to just send you the hub? I'm thinking because I'll be doing the jumbo SS spokes and nipples all you would need is the hub right?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous main- stream media which holds forth the proposition that it isentirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #1518
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesp
When I have you do my F800 18" conversion would it be better to just send you the hub? I'm thinking because I'll be doing the jumbo SS spokes and nipples all you would need is the hub right?
we usually prefer getting complete wheels ...that way we we have a sense of what's up with the wheel ,,,,damages it incurred affecting the hub and most importantly the offset.

components that have certain value,we usually give some trade in for,,otherwise i give something in return like either cut you some slack on $$ or do a lil extra work like polish or bead-blast or give ya t-shirts

send er in

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #1519
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Bonneville T-100 front rim and spoke upgrade,,$$$=???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB44
I feel the urge to replace the rim and spokes of my Bonneville T-100's front wheel (2.5 X 19).

How much to replace them with something more weather resistant and sturdy? circa $400 excel rim beefy ss n ss spokes n nipples Superlaced,,you will notice a difference in the handling that front hub uses all inner spokes if you notice,,half of em are basically just there for show,,,yes the ''inner inners the one with the bend sticking 3/4'' from the hub,,,we change the lace pattern and have all the spoke bends as close to the hub for extra support....

Do I send the whole wheel or just the hub?just answered that in the previous post #1518

Thanks.

jb
thanks woody
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #1520
JB44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Bonneville T-100 Wheel

Thanks for the estimate Woody. The wheel will be on the way as soon as I remove the tire.

Is there a preferred way to package or box the wheel?

jb
JB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #1521
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

preferrred way to box/package a wheel for shipment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB44
Thanks for the estimate Woody. The wheel will be on the way as soon as I remove the tire.

Is there a preferred way to package or box the wheel?

jb
remove the disc if you have the tools,,,complete wheel in tight fitting box with double cardboard in the spots where rim meets box...

woody
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #1522
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Hey Woody, Thanks for the photo of you guys inside your Denver shop; nice to see the faces behind them thar names!

Anyway, saw on your site prices that the Excel 19x2/5 front rims for KTM are in silver. What about black?

Other question is on Talon hubs for KTMs - the std ones not the carbon jobbies. Are they drilled for Japanese or European rims or can one choose? How can one tell easily which they are??

I've just used the google search facility to find the answer the rim indexing question I had so no need to bug you with that and get you to repeat the question you've been asked a dozen times before

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #1523
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

KTM aftermarket hubs and rim indexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Hey Woody, Thanks for the photo of you guys inside your Denver shop; nice to see the faces behind them thar names!

Anyway, saw on your site prices that the Excel 19x2/5 front rims for KTM are in silver. What about black?

we charge $75 to strip and re-anodize the rims,,,this turns the standard sorta shiny Excel rim to a satin black look say 80% shiny,,to get em to look like oem excel we have to polish em up to high buff,,,add an extra $25

Other question is on Talon hubs for KTMs - the std ones not the carbon jobbies. Are they drilled for Japanese or European rims or can one choose? How can one tell easily which they are??

i'm positive Talon will spec their hub to work with oem ktm indexing which is euro i believe,,,,want a universal hub???,,,,made in usa??? ,,,,try the RAD hubs,,,i speced em and had Bob add an extra set of spoke holes instead of lightening holes...thus making the hub be capable of any index and or lace pattern..see the difference below...just $299 and your choice of hub color!!!!

I've just used the google search facility to find the answer the rim indexing question I had so no need to bug you with that and get you to repeat the question you've been asked a dozen times before

attaboy,,ya made my day
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 02:43 PM
Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #1524
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

rims

Woody, last year I had you make up a set of 19"/17" black Excel rims with the large SS spokes and nipples with black powder coated OEM hubs for a DRZ400. I sold the bike but the guy didn't want the rims. I only had them on the bike for about 500 miles of road riding and have been trying to sell them. I'm asking $900 for the set which I think is more than fair and would cover the cost of my 18x3.5 upgrade for my F800GS. My question is would the rims work for any other application? I see a lot of guys getting the Excel rims for F800GS, would these rims be able to lace to a BMW hub? If the rims would work on bikes other than just the DRZ I would have more options for a sale. The rim sizes are 19x2.5 and 17x4.25.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous main- stream media which holds forth the proposition that it isentirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

kkesp screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 01:30 PM
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #1525
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

rim swaps from DRZ 400 to F800GS????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesp
Woody, last year I had you make up a set of 19"/17" black Excel rims with the large SS spokes and nipples with black powder coated OEM hubs for a DRZ400. I sold the bike but the guy didn't want the rims. I only had them on the bike for about 500 miles of road riding and have been trying to sell them. I'm asking $900 for the set which I think is more than fair and would cover the cost of my 18x3.5 upgrade for my F800GS. My question is would the rims work for any other application? I see a lot of guys getting the Excel rims for F800GS, would these rims be able to lace to a BMW hub? If the rims would work on bikes other than just the DRZ I would have more options for a sale. The rim sizes are 19x2.5 and 17x4.25.
so sorry the rims won't swap !!,,,, why ???,,,cuz your DRZs are 36hole and the F800GS wants 40 holes,,,,,and i don't know what else thy would fit

however their is a silver lining,,,if ya want us to up-grade your F800GS to 3.5 x18 or whatever... then call Zach at the shop tomorrow and he might take em in as trade in on what ya need,,he's a fair n square guy

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 09:37 PM
Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #1526
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Well Crap

I guess I can't count. I thought I counted 36 spokes on my 800, but then again I didn't have my shoes off either. Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #1527
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

front tire changing dilemna of sidecar rider...

an inmate PMd with this question regarding R&R front tubeless R1100GS tire...

''OK, I love changing my rear and sidecar tires because they are with a tube! but the front is a pain in the butt to break the bead and pop the bead...
How can I use a tube with the front tire? Or just do? And do not worry about popping the bead? what do you think?''

1,,i see no benefit to going with a tube on your front other than if you are in the toules it will be easier to pop the bead on to the tire while inflating it.....trying to get the bead to seal is the one weak point in the tubeless tire scenario especially if you do not have the rush of air needed to make that happen.

2,,we have trimmed down the safety bead on certain models to facilitate getting the bead to break loose easier....some x-country racers remove most of it for quicker tire/tube changes.

3,,know it is called a ''safety bead'' for a reason.,,,operating a rig would want me to have a set-up that minimizes the front tire popping off the bead in case of sudden air loss....you'll have a REAL handful in case the tire just popped off the bead

4,,,i'm curious what part of the tire changing operation frustrates you.??? if its breaking the bead ,,,then my partial bead removal will help....it is a good compromise....ie it facilitates busting the bead immensely.....then i'd run a tube ,because it makes filling and seating the tire a snap because all the air is trapped in the tube

holler if that sounds like it will work for you.

woody
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #1528
gabraham
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
mz

hey i just bought a mz baghira , and i need parts,mainly front rotor.write back about it if you can get mz thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #1529
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

inmate needs front disc for MZ Baghira,,,help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabraham
hey i just bought a mz baghira , and i need parts,mainly front rotor.write back about it if you can get mz thanks
FYI,,discs are fairly easy to track down and possibly interchange!!!

what ya need to provide is :
1,,bolt hole circle for the mounting screws/bolts

2,, diameter of mounting bolts

3,,OD of disc

4,,thickness of disc rotor

5,,optional...floating???,,,wavy???.

get that to me and we can help you

woody
Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #1530
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Woody

I don't want to seem argumentative, but I recounted the spokes on my F800GS and still come up with 36. Am I missing something?