Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #1576
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,305
building Superlaced wheels from afar,,can it be done???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
Hey woody.

Just some questions on a set of wheels for an f650gs dakar, basically i have some issues with the current wheels that are mainly cosmetic, stuff like the nipples starting to corrode and the coating on the hubs starting to lift in places. The stuff they spread on the roads in winter sure plays havoc with any exposed metals.

I'm over in the uk so sending out my wheels to you would be prohibitivly expensive but i would like your advice on what 'upgrades' can be done to these wheels from a distance. ie you send me the bits i build them then get them trued up.

I'd like to go to a stronger rim, along with larger spokes with stainless nipples. The hubs i can get anodised / powdercoated over here.

no problem... we make superlaced kits for situations just like yours,,,we just don't provide the warranty ,,there's a slight surcharge for modifying the rims and prepping them,,,

so you'll get all the trick lace patterns,,,custom spoke kits bent to our specs and rim prepping in the deal

....Is superlacing possible without sending the hub thttp://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74944o you?

yes,,,what will happen is you may need to do an initial spoke re-tightening or 2 and then you'll be fairly bullet-proof fro then on.

the other option is can you build the wheels from hubs alone? If i can source them.
'cmon,, we can not build wheels from hubs alone ,,i need some rims and spokes and nipples what we can do is darn near anything except chrome.

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #1577
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,919
Woody,

I'd like to have you replace the 17" rear rim on my '08 KLR650 with an 18".

Can you think of any reason not to do this?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #1578
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

can we use 18 '' rims instead of 17's on rear KLR650???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband
Woody,

I'd like to have you replace the 17" rear rim on my '08 KLR650 with an 18".

Can you think of any reason not to do this?
possibly that an 18'' will be too big...and won't fit...on pre 2008 KLRs it won't work for sure

on post 2008s it's that the knobs hit on the front of the swing-arm with certain bigger tire sizes

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-06-2010 at 01:45 PM
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #1579
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
possibly that an 18'' will be too big...and won't fit...

that's what i remember....it's that the knobs hit everywhere on the bigger tire sizes

i'll double check with zach for specifics

woody
I've been looking at that. I know I'll have to trim the swing arm area just in front of the tire, but I'm not sure about side clearance.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #1580
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I am in the same boad as rc_mad and want get rid of the standard hweels, i am in ireland so postage is the real killer here.

do you have a cost for a set of wheels for the dakar as i saw some one mention the bough a set of you and nto sure if tey supplied the hubs to you or not.

also what sort shipping cost would we be looking at internationally?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #1581
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,094
Can't go through the entire thread. Woody what is the possibility to convert the Dakar rims to tubeless? we are leaving for a extended Africa trip and the if I can get the Dakar to use Tubeless rims it is a lot less stuff to carry seeing the other bike is a 1200GS.

Wheel that and I am really fed-up with fixing tubes.

Can a 1200HP front be used or 1200GS rear or something to that effect?
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #1582
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

F650GS pakar wheel upgrades to ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
I am in the same boad as rc_mad and want get rid of the standard hweels, i am in ireland so postage is the real killer here.

do you have a cost for a set of wheels for the dakar as i saw some one mention the bough a set of you and nto sure if tey supplied the hubs to you or not.

also what sort shipping cost would we be looking at internationally?
we can source the hubs here and i'll see if any of the billet stuff can be used,,what rim sizes are you interested in color????,,and tell me what kind of riding/where how hard etc so i can better advise you,,
woody

ps i'll egt the rest of the S&H info to you
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #1583
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

tubeless rims for F650GS dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus
Can't go through the entire thread. Woody what is the possibility to convert the Dakar rims to tubeless? we are leaving for a extended Africa trip and the if I can get the Dakar to use Tubeless rims it is a lot less stuff to carry seeing the other bike is a 1200GS.

Wheel that and I am really fed-up with fixing tubes.

Can a 1200HP front be used or 1200GS rear or something to that effect?
we can seal any rim with a safety bead...or install rims with safety beads on them and the seal them

what size rims/wheels are you running???

woody
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #1584
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

I am using the OEM rims on the Dakar, 17' rear and 21' front. The front I have used a Tubliss till now, seems to work,, but very difficult to fix in the bush if you don't have a bit off water and so on to seat the thing and get a 7bar inflation to the inner tube, I would like to make it more permanent.

And I am in SA, how will we have to work this, get the rims to you?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #1585
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

tubeless/tubliss or tube on 21'' front rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus
I am using the OEM rims on the Dakar, 17' rear and 21' front. The front I have used a Tubliss till now, seems to work,, but very difficult to fix in the bush if you don't have a bit off water and so on to seat the thing and get a 7bar inflation to the inner tube, I would like to make it more permanent.

And I am in SA, how will we have to work this, get the rims to you?

FYI,,,i will not go tube-less using any sealing technique like sealants or trick nipple systems or even the Tubliss system on any rim that doesn't sport a safety bead,,,,here's a photo of a 21'' rim without the safety bead

you are at risk especially running lower tire pressures of hitting something and bending the lips and poof off pops the tire from the bead area,,,, the safety bead is that little ridge on the inner side of the bead that your tire has to pop over to seat,,,this ridge keeps your tire from sliding off the bead as easily,,,it can and often time does ,,HOWEVER you have a little extra time to respond to your oncoming flat.

my mechanics really hate messing with the tubliss system,,,especially after our customers come in after having given up themselves...

you have to be SUPER CARE-FULL,,get a nick in the inner tire,,,tweek/bend the inner bead of the bicycle tire,, a cut on your tire bead ... all lead to not being able to seal this gadget properly,,,and you need a clean environment, cuz getting sand in there also ruins your day....and they too recommend offroad use only...

the rear is no problem to seal provided you are not running rim-locks.

i think the easiest thing to do is attempt to seal it yourself...there's several threads here on adv rider with pics and all,,,,
sakurama did a nice on,,,i'll see if i can find the link....

i have been doing this for 30 years,,as a favor to my customers,,,and tinkered with everyone of these and then some,,, hint #1 is absolute cleanliness,,ie getting rid of any oil/dirt from the rim and especially around the nipples,,,scuffing the rim/anodize for extra adhesion and above all allowing enough curing time before mounting and airing up not to mention being super careful with your tire irons from nullifying your handiwork.
OBTW,,,not aiming your hi pressure car washer on the nipple rim interface/junction is in your best interest

woody

PS,,,last i heard ,,a year or so ago while i italy is that some rim and tire manufacturers were colluding to produce 1.6 and 1.85 x21 tires and rims with safety beads and dimensions to interface with each other
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #1586
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Hey Woody,

Wheels should be getting delivered UPS today. Apologies ahead of time for the crude packing method. I am a cheap bastard and didn't want to buy bubble wrap after seeing the cost of it. Figure a little added weight would be cheaper. Maybe you guys can use all those shop rags?
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #1587
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

arrived and being dismantled as i write..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut
Hey Woody,

Wheels should be getting delivered UPS today. Apologies ahead of time for the crude packing method. I am a cheap bastard and didn't want to buy bubble wrap after seeing the cost of it. Figure a little added weight would be cheaper. Maybe you guys can use all those shop rags?
hey,,they are here!!!
looks like we have some good candidates for a makeover

will keep ya posted if anything unusual shows up

woody,
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #1588
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Quote:

FYI,,,i will not go tube-less using any sealing technique like sealants or trick nipple systems or even the Tubliss system on any rim that doesn't sport a safety bead,,,,here's a photo of a 21'' rim without the safety bead

you are at risk especially running lower tire pressures of hitting something and bending the lips and poof off pops the tire from the bead area,,,, the safety bead is that little ridge on the inner side of the bead that your tire has to pop over to seat,,,this ridge keeps your tire from sliding off the bead as easily,,,it can and often time does ,,HOWEVER you have a little extra time to respond to your oncoming flat.

my mechanics really hate messing with the tubliss system,,,especially after our customers come in after having given up themselves...

you have to be SUPER CARE-FULL,,get a nick in the inner tire,,,tweek/bend the inner bead of the bicycle tire,, a cut on your tire bead ... all lead to not being able to seal this gadget properly,,,and you need a clean environment, cuz getting sand in there also ruins your day....and they too recommend offroad use only...

the rear is no problem to seal provided you are not running rim-locks.

i think the easiest thing to do is attempt to seal it yourself...there's several threads here on adv rider with pics and all,,,,
sakurama did a nice on,,,i'll see if i can find the link....

i have been doing this for 30 years,,as a favor to my customers,,,and tinkered with everyone of these and then some,,, hint #1 is absolute cleanliness,,ie getting rid of any oil/dirt from the rim and especially around the nipples,,,scuffing the rim/anodize for extra adhesion and above all allowing enough curing time before mounting and airing up not to mention being super careful with your tire irons from nullifying your handiwork.
OBTW,,,not aiming your hi pressure car washer on the nipple rim interface/junction is in your best interest

woody

PS,,,last i heard ,,a year or so ago while i italy is that some rim and tire manufacturers were colluding to produce 1.6 and 1.85 x21 tires and rims with safety beads and dimensions to interface with each other
Thanks for the feedback.
Okay let me see if i understand you correctly. I have to get rims that have the safety bead, then I can use some kind of sealents/silicone based sealents to try and make the rims as tubeless?

Is there not a easier way where you can just build me a front and rear tubelss rims on the Dakar hubs or something like that?

What will it cost and what does it involve to get a rim that's got the bead on them to be fitted on the Dakar hubs?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #1589
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
we can source the hubs here and i'll see if any of the billet stuff can be used,,what rim sizes are you interested in color????,,and tell me what kind of riding/where how hard etc so i can better advise you,,
woody

ps i'll egt the rest of the S&H info to you
would just eb going black rims with heavy duty spokes, rim locks and 21" 17" combo same as standard bike.w ould like go 18" rear but think i will stay with stock setup to reduce issues with the swingarm and clearance. also bike tall enough as it is witht he mods let along adding more height.

riding is mostly back roads (irish roads are as bad as some of the trails) and some trail riding
Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #1590
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

bad irish road special superlite combo set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
would just eb going black rims with heavy duty spokes, rim locks and 21" 17" combo same as standard bike.w ould like go 18" rear but think i will stay with stock setup to reduce issues with the swingarm and clearance. also bike tall enough as it is witht he mods let along adding more height.

riding is mostly back roads (irish roads are as bad as some of the trails) and some trail riding
here's my recommendation

front either an 1.6x21 A60 excel super tuff or1.85 excel superlaced 2 rim-locks keepd whee balanced easier

rear 3.5x17 excel,,can use oem 150x17 tires,,superlaced,won't bend as easy [narrower rim] can seal for tubeless add $99

circa $2k-2.2k
you'd want the ss spokes and ss nipples in that environmment

woody