Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #1696
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
This is our perfectly tubeless 19/17 set-up for the 950/990, F800GS.

They are only available in a 2.50x19" front and 4.00x17" Rear.

They are not available in a 21". Perhaps one day, but probably not anytime soon.

The only perfectly tubeless 21" rim in the world today, have 40 holes and are built for stock BMW front X-Lace hubs.

Have heard of people going with our narrower 21" Excel rims to your stock hubs and using the NuTech Tubliss system. It is only made for off-road(i.e. dirtbikes, 1.60x21 front, 2.15x18 or 19" rear) and not DOT approved, but I know several people who have had good success. You could look around on the forums for feedback.

Feel free to e-mail us with any other questions: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

Thanks,,,Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
Yo' Woodski...someone just posted these sweeties from you for his 950 ADV, I didn't know you made GS type wheels for the 950.

I assume they are tubeless. Do you also make a 21"?

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 03:34 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #1697
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Thanks Woody's, got my rebuilt wheels back and the bearing slop issue is gone. Wheels are great and I am getting ready to send the other set in for a rebuild and overhaul of the bearings.

Thanks again.

A happy customer.
Steve P
Culpeper, VA

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #1698
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 816
Hub ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
This is our perfectly tubeless 19/17 set-up for the 950/990, F800GS.

They are only available in a 2.50x19" front and 4.00x17" Rear.

They are not available in a 21". Perhaps one day, but probably not anytime soon.

The only perfectly tubeless 21" rim in the world today, have 40 holes and are built for stock BMW front X-Lace hubs.

Have heard of people going with our narrower 21" Excel rims to your stock hubs and using the NuTech Tubliss system. It is only made for off-road(i.e. dirtbikes, 1.60x21 front, 2.15x18 or 19" rear) and not DOT approved, but I know several people who have had good success. You could look around on the forums for feedback.

Feel free to e-mail us with any other questions: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

Thanks
Could these rims be laced to factory KTM super enduro hubs??
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #1699
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Capo Tubeless rims to 950SE Hubs

Yes, they can be laced to stock 950 SE hubs.

We are able to lace the 2.50x19 and 4.00x17" Capo rims to the following:

Stock KTM 640, 950/990 Adv & 950SE
Rad Billet hubs for the 640, 950/990 Adv, 950SE, and F800GS

Feel free to contact with any other questions.

Thanks
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober
Could these rims be laced to factory KTM super enduro hubs??

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 09:13 AM
Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #1700
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Woody's Wheel Works Now Works on Bikes

We now have a great, in house, mechanic to work on your bike. If you have any questions about the services we provide, ask them in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590881

Thanks,
Woody
Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #1701
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 488
supermoto wheels f 800 gs.

this may have been answered but i searched f800gs and couldnt find it f 800 gs wont search. can i run 160/60 120/70 wheels on a f800 gs. you answered the front and said 17s might be more twitchy and recommend 19s. but im looking for true supermoto style. do i just need front or both rims. do you have the new billet hubs yet or do you need the stockers. can these be tubeless ,price?
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #1702
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

supermoto wheels for the F800Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9
this may have been answered but i searched f800gs and couldnt find it f 800 gs wont search. can i run 160/60 120/70 wheels on a f800 gs. you answered the front and said 17s might be more twitchy and recommend 19s. but im looking for true supermoto style. do i just need front or both rims. do you have the new billet hubs yet or do you need the stockers. can these be tubeless ,price?
we can pull this off with oem hubs or the new superrlite billet/RAD hubs,,,you'll have choice of colors for free on the billets as well as a larger selection of rear sprockets ,,we keep your oem abs and rear disc ..

the front is a no brainer rear i'd opt for a wider 5x17 rim to match front,,,for the tires you want/requested above,,,,
tubeless/sealing @$99 each is available,,,
wheels run circa $900-1700 depending on whose hubs we use yours/oem/billet

for the supermoto rider/riding style you won't go wrong

PS,,my penchant for recommending 19 front comes from feedback and my own riding experience,,,,19''s are just more mellow,,did i say that correctly??? the word i've used before is ''congenial''

holler
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 06:41 PM
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #1703
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
KTM 640 A rim blues

Got an 06 640 A with a dinged up front Behr rim. Want to swap over to a 1.6 wide front rim as suggested. Talked to James Embro and he's running a 1.6 as well. Can you tell me more about the process (spokes, rim options)? I've laced before and would like to lace it myself unless you feel strongly about doing it yourself. Thanks in advance for the advice.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #1704
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

640Adv wheel upgrade options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
Got an 06 640 A with a dinged up front Behr rim. Want to swap over to a 1.6 wide front rim as suggested. Talked to James Embro and he's running a 1.6 as well. Can you tell me more about the process (spokes, rim options)? I've laced before and would like to lace it myself unless you feel strongly about doing it yourself. Thanks in advance for the advice.

FYI we usually upgrade the 2.15[too wide for off-road] Behr nutty-putty rims to 1.6x21 mainly off -road or 1.85 x21 for 50-50 usage.

so far the jury is out that the 1.6x21 does just fine on road
we or Buchanans can provide you this rim in the oem std X2 drilled for oem nipple Excel $153 silver or Sun $176 silver rims..

when we upgrade to our beefy custom ss spoke n nipple kit circa $116 we have to change the drill pattern on rim and pre-seat everything for the Superlace we charge $30 plus rim cost for this..you can then assemble and true yourself..NO warranty

when we Superlace it for you we charge $99 for all the labor plus the parts AND ya get our one year warranty against spokes loosening...

we prefer you sending us the complete wheels for free inspection and proper offset measurements...

,,,woody

PS...see now everyone gets to share this data

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 03:40 PM
Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #1705
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Woody, do you know a good link to really detailed stuff on MC tires - most brands by model and size etc? Like weight and rolling diameters as well as all other stuff.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #1706
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Tire Info

Can't say that we have a specific place that we go for all this info, but just with a quick google search, found this link and looks like a great place to start: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp

If you find more info or better site, shoot it to us via PM or e-mail and we will add it to this post.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Woody, do you know a good link to really detailed stuff on MC tires - most brands by model and size etc? Like weight and rolling diameters as well as all other stuff.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #1707
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
Yo' Woodski...someone just posted these sweeties from you for his 950 ADV, I didn't know you made GS type wheels for the 950.

I assume they are tubeless. Do you also make a 21"?

Hey! These look familiar, oh yeah, they're mine and boy do they kick @ss!!! Left for a 2000 mile trip the day I got them and they were perfect.

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2004 ZX10 and 3 (yes 3) 2006 ZX10's
2005 Vee
The Gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #1708
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

an answer/reply to the mis-information in a recent 'orange crush' thread

just ran across this thread,,in the Orange Crush thread called '990 Front rim replacement? ',,,and had to chuckle at all the $$$ saving info and mis-info from the backyard experts,,,,i couldn't leave it un answered,,,sooo here's the link to the thread,,,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579004

PREFACE:,,,,for starters,we build wheels for every conceivable application,,for a broad spectrum of technical and/or aesthetic needs and wants,,,as well as every conceivable budget.,,it's ALL A-OK with us,,,having to pay my way through college on my own,,,i remember the decisions i had to make based on my rather limited income,,,the off-shoot of that was i learned how to fix things well,,, and where and who gave the breaks etc,,,i feel blessed that i never went o a 'trade or factory school' and became entrapped in old school thinking,,, i feel blessed in being able to travel outside the 'harbor of the known',,,to create solutions 'outside the chalk-board'',,,being sensitive to what it is like not to have deep pocket-books or loads of discretionary income,,,i have solutions for both ends of the spectrum ,,,i have also created solutions for the aesthetic and technical challenges you all impose on your favorite mounts,,,the pickle i'm in is there is a certain ilk of riders out there that consistently try to paint me as an outrageuosly expensive vendor,,,so i'm challenging the nay-sayers with my answer below

FYI,,,outside of the BMW X-laced wheels and stock oem wheels,,,, i have used Buchanan's spokes exclusively for 37 years for building custom and state of the art wheels.....they build damn fine spokes and nipples...however what you get from them is seldom what i get from them,,,let me explain.....

FYI,,,Buchanans builds replica replacement spokes using OEM specs and bends,,,,in pre-packaged kits..we use these all the time for regular low budget repairs,,,however there are less then half a dozen of the buchananns spoke kits that meet my standards for for building Superlaced wheels ,,ALL the Superlace components are speced by me as to gauge,length,throat size and bend....and that's proprietary....

....so when HWSNBN chimes in in post#32 and says:[quote=HWSNBN I put a set of SE DID Dirtstars on a new set of ADV hubs with a set of oversize Buchanan's ss spokes (same as woody$)]. ,,it's not true...so please don't compare what you got with what i get ,,,you are misleading the troopies... and i didn't miss your lil $ either HWSNBN ....hence a little info to assist you in providing more objective data for our community.

FYI,,,if $$$ is the main motivating factor,,one need but announce that up front,,,ie what's the cheapest way i can get a wheel,,,,i can point ya in many directions and offer alternative options,,including complete kits prepped with 90% of Superlace technology for a slight additional fee and ya get to lace em yourself,,,this is a great way to get a better solution especially for the overseas inmates and avoid all the extra charges shipping hubs back n forth.

FYI,,,when you oooh and ahhhhh over priciness,,,,upon closer inspection you'll find most of the misunderstanding comes from comparing the bare bones version of a car to the fully loaded hi-performance version...you gasp at the price of something,,,you only wanted a better rim ,,,the other fellow got a Superlace, custom components,one year warranty,a bunch of add-ons and BTW that included the freight and it was ordered on friday and got there on wednesday so he could ride it on thursday,,,, OBTW with a free T-shirt tossed into the deal,,,

FYI,, we don't slap wheels together,,,we listen,,share our wisdom,,,we save ya a lot of mis-spent$$$$ and time,,,we put our TLC into each one even the bare-bones cost effective ones,,,,we guarantee our work,,,,your feedback over the years seems loud and clear,,,,and yes there are souls out there that can do it in their back yard ,,,hell even i started there too,,,hence my compassion for you all

FYI,,,IMHO,,,yes,,, a 1.6x21 rim works OK on the street,,,,we still recommend using the 1.85x21 for 50-50 riding because it works BETTER on the street and especially in the twisties...WHY for the same reason the OEM 2.15x21 works better on the tarmac,,,,because the sidewall is supported and doesn't allow the tire to tuck under,,,it's for this reason KTM speced the wider 2.15 oem rim....they misfigured most of ya would be on the pavement the majority of the time and certainly not hammer em as much in the dirt....on the other hand the !.6 works optimally in the dirt because it pulls the tire in providing more traction cornering in the dirt,,there is more rubber between the rim and the object you are hitting,,,and the narrowness minimizes the chance of bending ie less MA[mechanical advantage]

FYI,,IMHO,,,the A-60 is a good deal for those who want a strong black rim,,because ya don't have to pay an anodizing fee which will ramp up a silver rims final price,,,,it is the toughest dirt rim and can handle the street with a slight decrease in road-ability..road-ability is a subjective notion,,,at normal speeds i doubt too many would notice a difference,,,
we routinely convert these rims to work on either jap or euro indexed hubs..it is a non issue for us,,,for a minimal fee we modify the spoke angles and countersink the holes on one side to accomodate the different angles caused by the necessary change in the lace pattern demanded by the oem euro indexed hub,,,it also necessitates 18 custom made spokes.,,FYI,,,as an alternative permanent solution to the indexing issues and rim availability,, i designed/speced the ''universal rim application'' hub used by RAD on their billet hubs..essentially swapping out the lightening holes on one side of the hub for an extra set of spoke holes,,that way you just have to move over one set of holes to change your index from jap/euro or vice-versa.,,

here's an example of the double spoke hole sets on a rear KTM hub being adapted to F800GS, there used to be 'lightening holes'' between the nipple holes...RAD uses this technique now on all the models that sport euro indexing.

here's a modified front KTM hub to be used on the F800GS,,,, ya can see the lightening holes on one side ..

....what ya also need to know is that they have a weird silver racing stripe on the outside lip that puts off a lot of folks,,,it has a weird profile supposedly to minimize catching dirt and the rears only come in MX 19'' sizes/widths so nothing matches unless ya strip the anodize and re-anodize

BWOE,,this is what puts alot of our customers that expect matched wheels etc off,,,and we also have the others that could care less,,,they just want 'strongest'...

FYI,,,one needs to also factor in where all this work is being done ,,cost of living index's etc,,all this skewers the bottom line.....RAD manufacturing out in the toules of Utah has considerably less overhead then Buchanans in california or yours truly in Denver.,,,hence a +/- $20 spread between the three of us to build a basic wheel.

FYI,,,if ya want low cost,, RAD has a bunch of 7000 series rims from China circa $100 each and they are black,,,KTM has the SE wheel with correct indexing and costs more than the A60 and ya get an extra pound of aluminum to take along with ya for unsprung weight,,,,if ya want to save $20 a spoke set order Zartan nipples,,want another $10 saving get them in bare steel and paint them

just a few observations to flatten and straighten out the terrain a bit,,or is the misinformation prevalent because the world appears flatter and a bunch of flat-landers are sharing it,,,????,,the internet is an amazing place..

OBTW,,,,ADVrider gave me a thread in the vendor forum in case ya want a different opinion about your wheel problems...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

so fellow inmates ..CAVEAT EMPTOR and remember that not all things that appear the same ARE the same

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-24-2010 at 11:02 PM
Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #1709
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Let me tell everyone this. I have buyers remorse after almost every single purchase I make, but even after spending what I did with Woody, I had none. Not even for one second. I would buy them again in a second.

Also, I called after hours when UPS screwed up and Jill actually answered the phone, how many people would do that?

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2004 ZX10 and 3 (yes 3) 2006 ZX10's
2005 Vee
The Gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1710
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Old airhead alloy wheels

I recently purchased an 85 R80RT with alloy wheels but tube type tires. I would like to convert to tubeless tires. I don't believe sealing is an issue with the alloy rims but my understanding is that the tube type rims lack a "shoulder" that the tubeless rims have. Will tubless tires work on these rims without running tubes? Thanks
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote