Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #1711
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,261
going tubeless on old BMW cast wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
I recently purchased an 85 R80RT with alloy wheels but tube type tires. I would like to convert to tubeless tires. I don't believe sealing is an issue with the alloy rims but my understanding is that the tube type rims lack a "shoulder" that the tubeless rims have. Will tubeless tires work on these rims without running tubes? Thanks
people hav edone it at great risk,,,

FYI some of those old castings were pretty porous,,so we'd hav eto seal them with epoxy or heavy powder-coat,,,,the biggest glitch is lack of a safety bead,,,the little ridge that gives ya tiny little window to slow down and stop the second you feel that your bike is doing something squirly like losing air.
w
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #1712
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Sorry for the huge pic file. Can you look at this picture for comment? its a closeup on an akront sm rim for street duty. There is a slight bulge in the horizontal rim profile here. I'm looking for a first opinion, it's not a setup or trick question

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #1713
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

bulges and divots on rims

[quote=dentvet]Sorry for the huge pic file. Can you look at this picture for comment? its a closeup on an akront sm rim for street duty. There is a slight bulge in the horizontal rim profile here. I'm looking for a first opinion, it's not a setup or trick question

what i'm positive you are seeing are the remnants of some individuals hands crafted smoothing out job.
FYI,,,when the ends of the rim are butt welded together,,there is aring of slag material that has to be removed,,from the looks of things seems like a lot of rim manufacturers do this by hand especially on the inside,,it looks like they use hand held body grinders with some form of flap wheel,,,thus when you look carefully in the region of the weld youl'll find major flaws

they try to blend it in,,,but that's asubjective call,,,Behr has consistently reached the lowest levels of aesthetic and technical quality inthe 4'' area on either side of the weld,,it's so embarassing that BMW's tech memos put that zone off limits to measuring,,the rims routinely measure 1-3mm/.040-120'' defiation in width,,,divots on the weld .30-.080''+/.75mm-2mm+ deep

if it's not affecting the tiretoo bad ,,i wouldn't waste much sleep over it,,,leave that to me

woody
Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #1714
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,775
Hey Woody, If an silver EXCEL rim has no stamped lettering or numbering on it - what can this tell one?? I would have thought all Excel rims should have model numbers stamped into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
FYI,,,well that is really odd,,most every rim has at least the width x diameter and ususall the date of manufacture....

it could be a generic rim used by an oem bike builder for off road use... the DOT usually demands the above info size n date

single signature excels are found on oem bikes,,the double signature stuff and the A-60 line are aftermarket extra song 7000 series rims.

the aftermarket rims pre-drilled for certain model bikes will usually have a code on them... the rims that Buchanans and several other wheel builders sell only have the size stamped on them because they arrive undrilled/punched and we custom drill them for the application ,,, lace patterns and nipple sizes we choose.

woody
Update: Bad advice provided to me. Have just received the excel double sig rim and indeed it HAS the stamped rims size/spec on it. Just thought I'd let y'all know!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #1715
ziggystardust
WannaB

Oddometer: 274
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
........since 90% of my posts are related to these marques,,,,
Well, I couldn't find anything about what I ride. It's a DRZ400S and I hate tubes. What can you do for me[IMG]images/icons/icon5.gif[/IMG]

Ziggystardust........living in fear
ziggystardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1716
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

can we seal aDRZ400S???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust
Well, I couldn't find anything about what I ride. It's a DRZ400S and I hate tubes. What can you do for me[IMG]images/icons/icon5.gif[/IMG]
tell me the rim sizes on your bike and i'll tell you the odds of what can be sealed...

FYI,,for starters we only seal rims that have a safety bead on them that usually means rims wider than 2.5''

hope that get's ya started
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 02:56 AM
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #1717
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,165
Hi woody, I'm looking at a second set of rims for my WR250R and notice you have one each front and rear 21" and 18" for sale on your website...are those applicable for my model?

Second part, I'm only now starting to realize that my rims won't be good forever and think I should prepare to send you my stock rims for truing (about 8,000 miles on them, some of it pretty abusive). Any comments on that?

Many thanks,

Bill
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #1718
Baillsy
Lets ride

Oddometer: 411
18in on F800

Woody, thanks for your reply to my question about 18in rear on F800 in parrellel universe.
I have a dilema with time frames in relation to getting a wheel in time for a trip i have planned.
Now, i'll be up front, i'm after your advice, and you wont get any financial benefit out of this at the moment as i wont get a wheel from you built in time for this trip, so if i may be bold and ask your opinion, it would be appreciated, otherwise i wont be upset if you tell me where to go.

My option at the moment is to fit a sun Rim 18 x 3.5 up to the standard hub and run a 140/80/18 Pirelli Scorpion rally tyre and fit a 45 tooth sprocket.
I know it will not be as good as your complete setup with hub etc, but how will a 3.5in handle differently to a 2.5in and will this be a successful option. I'm guessing the Sun Rim is better than the standard but not as good as the excel.
i have pm'd stevered and waiting on a response on his thoughts.

Regards
Baillsy
Baillsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #1719
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

3.5 Sun rim on rear of F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillsy
Woody, thanks for your reply to my question about 18in rear on F800 in parrellel universe.
I have a dilema with time frames in relation to getting a wheel in time for a trip i have planned.
Now, i'll be up front, i'm after your advice, and you wont get any financial benefit out of this at the moment as i wont get a wheel from you built in time for this trip, so if i may be bold and ask your opinion, it would be appreciated, otherwise i wont be upset if you tell me where to go.

FYI,,,philosophically,i trust that the universe will take care of me,,as long as i give what i have,,,i do not need to keep track,,,the laws of karma are synced with the laws of physics

My option at the moment is to fit a sun Rim 18 x 3.5 up to the standard hub and run a 140/80/18 Pirelli Scorpion rally tyre and fit a 45 tooth sprocket.
I know it will not be as good as your complete setup with hub etc, but how will a 3.5in handle differently to a 2.5in and will this be a successful option. I'm guessing the Sun Rim is better than the standard but not as good as the excel.
i have pm'd stevered and waiting on a response on his thoughts.

Regards
Baillsy
if you use the narrower rim you'll have 2 benefits ,,,one benefit is minimizing the rim from bending the other you hav ea better profile when cornering in the dirt....hence we use 2.5 for serious dirt use only and 3.5 for what i call our 50-50 all around use.

another common up-grade is using 3.5x17 with the 159/70x17 oem tire size same principles apply....
for the folkks down under we are creating superlace kits to use with oem hubs,,,heavy duty ss spokes n nipples/trick lace-pattern and a rim predrilled and blueprinted for Superlace,,,all ya need is someone to assemble and true,,saves the cost of shipping to and fro...we add a $30 surcharge for doing our superlace mods on rim.

woody
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #1720
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Hi woody, I'm looking at a second set of rims for my WR250R and notice you have one each front and rear 21" and 18" for sale on your website...are those applicable for my model?

Second part, I'm only now starting to realize that my rims won't be good forever and think I should prepare to send you my stock rims for truing (about 8,000 miles on them, some of it pretty abusive). Any comments on that?

Many thanks,

Bill
hi bill,,,i'll have to check on those wheels,,,that website was put up years ago and we haven't been able to modify to much on it,,,,, are currrently building a more user friendly one for both you and me...

keeping your wheels true and all spokes doing their fair share of the work is our forte and your responsibility for optimal performance. we routinely have all these in and out of here within 1-3 days of receipt.

woody
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #1721
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,165
Thanks Woody.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #1722
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Ralle Moto steering dampener

Hey Woody, I'm following that thread on the steering dampeners,and would love to get my hands on that one your talking about for my 09' GSA-can you hook me up? Lefty
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #1723
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

i'll keep you in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
Hey Woody, I'm following that thread on the steering dampeners,and would love to get my hands on that one your talking about for my 09' GSA-can you hook me up? Lefty
i'll keep you in mind
will check to see where it is.or help ya find another one.
w

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 10:22 PM
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #1724
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Sounds good Woody,thanks
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #1725
ROK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
1979 Yamaha

I have a 79 Yamaha XS400. The tires are shot.

Front is a 100/90-18
Rear is a 110/90-18
Cast rims

I have found plenty of regular street tires, but I was trying to find something more dual sport to put on the old bike. Planning on turning it into a scrambler of sorts for the wife.

Most of the tires I looked at are pretty much pure street tires not meant for gravel roads, forest service graded dirt roads, etc. I realize they would work but...looking for something with a little more traction under such conditions.

The Bridgestone S11 Spitfire looks like it might do the trick.

I did find two tires that have a more dual-sport/trials look to them that would give that scrambler look to the bike and better dirt traction:

IRC has a front-rear interchangeable tire (TR-1) and Shinko a similar interchangeable tire (244). But both are tube-type tires.

I don't know if a tube tire would work without a tube on cast wheels or if I would have to put tubes in them to make them work.

Any thoughts?

Whatever I do I just want to be sure it will be safe.

Thanks for any input,

ROK
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote