User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #1936
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,653
450exc - cush hub?

Woody - I have an '09 450EXC that I have set up for lots of trail riding, but also was planning on using it for more dual-sporting/adventure riding, commuting, rallies, etc.

What do you think about the cush hub wheels - should I be looking at buying a cush hub setup for this bike? I would like to have a set of wheels with more 50/50 knobs on them and a cush hub rear for the dual-sport rides, and then swap back to my stock rims for the dirt, as the S12 knobs on my dirt wheels are painful on the road.

I use the Tubliss system on my stock rims and I think it's ok, but I don't really love it. I would be interested in a tubeless setup for the 450 if you think it's feasible for the dual-sport rims.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #1937
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,327
KTM '09 450EXC cush drive hub conversion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Woody - I have an '09 450EXC that I have set up for lots of trail riding, but also was planning on using it for more dual-sporting/adventure riding, commuting, rallies, etc.

What do you think about the cush hub wheels - should I be looking at buying a cush hub setup for this bike? I would like to have a set of wheels with more 50/50 knobs on them and a cush hub rear for the dual-sport rides, and then swap back to my stock rims for the dirt, as the S12 knobs on my dirt wheels are painful on the road.

I use the Tubliss system on my stock rims and I think it's ok, but I don't really love it. I would be interested in a tubeless setup for the 450 if you think it's feasible for the dual-sport rims.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

dc
hi dc and all you thumper owners that sport solid hubs ....

the second you spend more time on hard-pack and asphalt the more damage you are inflicting on your entire drive-train,,,why??? because you are robbing it of the shock absorbing capacity that dirt yields....
Rx= a cush drive unit somewhere in the drive-train....rubber drive -belts,cush rubbers/springs in the clutch and or rear hub all help in minimizing the power hit of a big 4 stroke single ie any 450cc n bigger thumper for practical reference.

you are fortunate because the the rear ktm SM cush drive unit as well as the billet units available share the same node points with your current hub.

what's interesting is that all the 10-15% upticks in price from the oem suppliers as well as my rim , spoke and suppliers have evened the prices to within a few dollars ,,,so now you get to make the difficult choice: do i spend circa $500 for a complete oem cush drive assy or a trick billet one???Duhhhhh

regarding the tubeless scenario...Tubliss sez ''off-road use only,,,i'd heed their advice...sealing the rim for tubeless should only be performed on rims that sport a 'safety bead'',,your 2.15x18 does not qualify,,,hence by going from a 2.15x18 oem rim to a 2.5x18 excel that sports a safety-bead you can seal it yourself or we can perform that service for $99 with one year warranty.

getting a superlace done yields the highest durability ie the least chance you will ever need to re-true your wheels.

happy new year
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #1938
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
With that thought in mind, when I convert from a belt drive to a chain I will have a direct drive hub. This is on a xl1200 so what are my options? Or recomendations
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1939
Country Doc
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
hi dc and all you thumper owners that sport solid hubs ....

the second you spend more time on hard-pack and asphalt the more damage you are inflicting on your entire drive-train,,,why??? because you are robbing it of the shock absorbing capacity that dirt yields....
Rx= a cush drive unit somewhere in the drive-train....rubber drive -belts,cush rubbers/springs in the clutch and or rear hub all help in minimizing the power hit of a big 4 stroke single ie any 450cc n bigger thumper for practical reference.

you are fortunate because the the rear ktm SM cush drive unit as well as the billet units available share the same node points with your current hub.

what's interesting is that all the 10-15% upticks in price from the oem suppliers as well as my rim , spoke and suppliers have evened the prices to within a few dollars ,,,so now you get to make the difficult choice: do i spend circa $500 for a complete oem cush drive assy or a trick billet one???Duhhhhh

regarding the tubeless scenario...Tubliss sez ''off-road use only,,,i'd heed their advice...sealing the rim for tubeless should only be performed on rims that sport a 'safety bead'',,your 2.15x18 does not qualify,,,hence by going from a 2.15x18 oem rim to a 2.5x18 excel that sports a safety-bead you can seal it yourself or we can perform that service for $99 with one year warranty.

getting a superlace done yields the highest durability ie the least chance you will ever need to re-true your wheels.

happy new year
woody
Thanks Woody - could a front rim be sealed also, or not?

Any advantages/disadvantages to running the wider rear rim? Would tire choice be different/more limited, or no change from the normal 21/18 selection?

dc
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #1940
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Thanks Woody - could a front rim be sealed also, or not?

Any advantages/disadvantages to running the wider rear rim? Would tire choice be different/more limited, or no change from the normal 21/18 selection?

dc
sure a front rim can be sealed,,,we choose to stay on the safe side and recommend /seal only those rims that have a safety bead....there's only one rim out here that i know of in 2.15x21 and it's a Sun dimple-less rim which IMHO is too wide and too soft...what's the point of running tubeless if the first thing you hit bends the rim beyond the tires capacity to seal????

the wider rim allows more/larger tire choices check here for some guidelines..

http://woodyswheelworks.com/rim_and_tire.htm

happy new year!!!

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 08:42 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #1941
Country Doc
Wanderer

Can you quote or PM me (whatever your preference) a price on the following?

1) Billet cush hub + 2.50 Excel + superlace, sprocket carrier, rubbers, rear rotor, all ready to go?

2) Matching 21" front hub with superlace, rotor, etc.

Probably will stay with tubes if I can't do full tubeless front/rear. Don't want to run the Tubliss setup on the dual-sport rims as it's too much futzing around trying to check two pressures and adjust them constantly.

Thanks man! Will be asking another question soon about upgrading my 1971 slash-5 BMW wheels to sealed bearings, potentially wider rims (cafe project ), etc.

dc
Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #1942
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

approximate $$$ for KTM 450 EXC cush drive upgrade

Quote:
Can you quote or PM me (whatever your preference) a price on the following?

1) Billet cush hub, sprocket carrier, rubbers $499
+ 2.50x18 Excel $198
+ superlace$111,
rear rotorcirca $160
heavy duty ss n ss spoke kit$135
optional seal for tubeless$99all ready to go?

2) Matching 21" front hub with superlace, rotor, etc.circa $800

that's with silver double signature excel rims
add $75 to strip re-anodize satin or $100 to go glossy finish [gotta re-polish em first after stripping]...if we can source BWOE the rim already colored from the factory well it'll be just circa $30 more than silver,,,your choice of hub colors in billet=NC

Probably will stay with tubes if I can't do full tubeless front/rear.Unless you air down alot,,,in which case you'd want a rim-lock to keep your tire from spinning,,,,IMHO [coming from a jaded essentially lazy ol FF who doesn't dig sweating his ass off changing/patching tubes]....i'd go with tubeless any chance i got.....like i pointed out earlier,,,the majority of flats for some reason occur on the rear. Don't want to run the Tubliss setup on the dual-sport rims as it's too much futzing around trying to check two pressures and adjust them constantly.

Thanks man! Will be asking another question soon about upgrading my 1971 slash-5 BMW wheels to sealed bearings, potentially wider rims (cafe project ), etc. that process runs circa $80-100 for parts n labor...makes bearing changes a few minute job at a fraction of the parts and labor cost just $30 instead of the usual $100
dc

woody
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #1943
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
sorry,,what's an xl1200???
w
Looks like a Harley.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...d009f4d928079e
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #1944
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Wicked

Quote:
sorry,,what's an xl1200???
w
HD sportster
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #1945
pavegel
Adventurer Douche

Oddometer: 153
KTM Adv 950S Rear Wheel Rim Change

How much would it cost to re-lace and change the stock rear 4.25x18 inch rim for a 3.5x18 rim, keeping the hub, sprocket and disc assembly? I'd like to run 140/80 R18 tires on my 950.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'96 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80
pavegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #1946
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

4.25x18 oem to 3.5 x18 superlace conversion,,,$$$,,,???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegel View Post
How much would it cost to re-lace and change the stock rear 4.25x18 inch rim for a 3.5x18 rim, keeping the hub, sprocket and disc assembly? I'd like to run 140/80 R18 tires on my 950.
send in old wheel complete

Superlace n true=$111
heavy duty ss n ss spoke kit = $135
3.5x18 silver Excel = $236

add $75 for satin color or $100 for shiny color

happy new year
woody
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #1947
pavegel
Adventurer Douche

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
send in old wheel complete

Superlace n true=$111
heavy duty ss n ss spoke kit = $135
3.5x18 silver Excel = $236

add $75 for satin color or $100 for shiny color

happy new year
woody
Would you be able to reuse the stock spokes?

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'96 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80
pavegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #1948
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Hi Woody,

I have an '05 1200GS with 80k miles on it. I wasn't happy with my last set of tires and I'm thinking, after reading about truing rims, that maybe it wasn't the tires. This past year I rode about 20 miles a day on bad roads to get back and forth from work, and I'm sure this didn't help things. Also, while in the process of doing routine maintenance, I decided to black out my bike. Just needed a new color. Oh ya, spoked.

Questions:

1, What do you recommend besides truing?
2, What would it cost to black out my rims?
3, How do you recommend I ship my rims?
4, Approx cost?

Thanks,
Robert
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #1949
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

rim swap re-using oem spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegel View Post
Would you be able to reuse the stock spokes?
hi pavegel...

we've done that before...

unlace/relace n true[custom-lace]=$108
plus $236 for silver rim
plus re-anodizing

we custom drill the new rim for oem lace pattern and nipple diameter....you are lucky that the oem rim and the Excel have similar drop centers,,,otherwise you'd need longer/shorte spokes depending on the drop center which often varies from brand to brand as well as different styles form the same brand.

remember it will be your responsibility to routinely check and re-tighten the spokes during the seating in process...that's the beauty of my Superlace,,,one of the steps is aligning the spoke angles and counter-sinking to match your nipple,,ie we pre-seat the rim so that process gets nipped in the bud by us
w
Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #1950
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

renovating BMW R1200GS wheels/rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by QED View Post
Hi Woody,

I have an '05 1200GS with 80k miles on it. I wasn't happy with my last set of tires and I'm thinking, after reading about truing rims, that maybe it wasn't the tires. This past year I rode about 20 miles a day on bad roads to get back and forth from work, and I'm sure this didn't help things. Also, while in the process of doing routine maintenance, I decided to black out my bike. Just needed a new color. Oh ya, spoked.

Questions:

1, What do you recommend besides truing?
when we get the wheels, i'll immediately know what went/is wrong and recommend the Rx,,,,this may BWOE involve repairing the divot area by the weld if they are deeper than .035'',,FYI half of them are somewhere between .035 and .080''

2, What would it cost to black out my rims?
a,,powdercoating your spokes=$60/set,,,,rims are $65 ea.....

b,,the alternative to powdercoating the rims is stripping them and re-anodizing =$75ea for satin black or $100ea for gloss black[we have to re-polish them for that result]

c,,re-doing the hubs ie media blast old silver and re-powdercoat em in your choice of black[[i recommend a satin black] is $85 for rear and $100 for the front......if that's too pricey and durable we can do the po-boy trick of a light media blast and paint them circa $50-60 for both

d,,unlacing relace n true runs circa $180-240 depending on how corroded the spokes are in the rim

e,,another aesthetically nice option is to polish the spokes $40 a set and have them contrast the black hub n rim,,,just an idea

3, How do you recommend I ship my rims?
toss em in a tight fitting box with extra protection where rim makes contact via UPS....please do not put both rims in the same box!!!,,,when they toss those boxes around you'll have twice the weight hitting whatever corner/rim-edge is the unlucky one,,,same goes for wheels that are loose in their boxes,,,they get bent worse kinda of like the principle of a dead-blow hammer..or holding a shotgun loose to your cheek...ouch..

4, Approx cost?
S&H circa $30-40in usa

Thanks,
Robert
your welcome
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-19-2011 at 09:16 AM