ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #2341
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard
 
Stovebolt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Tetons
Oddometer: 462
Woody makes the world go ROUND.....

Hi Woody!

I was looking around inside my one-room shack here in the Tetons, and it is very clear to me that I have much to be thankful for. The cushion drive rear wheel you built for me has held up superbly on my 2010 KTM Six Days, and I've logged almost 7,000 miles on it across various 'no-man's lands.' Flawless workmanship, and I thank you.

My problem is, as I gaze around this shack here, is that I definitely need a new tee-shirt, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for it.

Can you help me out?

Need a matching front wheel....

e-mail sent!

Happy Holidays Woody.

Sincerely,

Stovebolt
__________________
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard "Never Give Up"
http://bustedcompass.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #2342
nzcvlh
Adventurer
 
nzcvlh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Superior Township, MI (Ann Arbor)
Oddometer: 68
BMW F800GS Rear Wheel Width Options - 18 inch

Posted by nzcvlh
Hi Woody,

I purchased a set of wheels from you last year for a set of street tires and they have worked out great. I would now like take the original rear and convert it from 17" to 18" and narrow it up to accept more dirt oriented dual sport tires like rally raid or 606s. I would like the flexibility to use either 140 or 130 width tires. It seems an 18 x 3" would be ideal, but I would like your recommendation. What are the optional widths ? Would I be better off just selling my current wheel and just buying another Rad hub wheel? Do you take trades? Bottomline, is I'm looking for the best way to turn my 17" to an 18" and be able to use the widest variety of Dual Sport tires in the 130 or 140 width range. I think the 120 width might be a bit to narrow for the paved roads I will run across. I would appreciate your wisdom. thanks

Dave Stark
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #2343
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
it's the yuletide season and we are full of gratitude,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Hi Woody!

I was looking around inside my one-room shack here in the Tetons, and it is very clear to me that I have much to be thankful for. The cushion drive rear wheel you built for me has held up superbly on my 2010 KTM Six Days, and I've logged almost 7,000 miles on it across various 'no-man's lands.' Flawless workmanship, and I thank you.

My problem is, as I gaze around this shack here, is that I definitely need a new tee-shirt, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for it.

Can you help me out?

Need a matching front wheel....

e-mail sent!

Happy Holidays Woody.

Sincerely,

Stovebolt
stove-bolt:

you're talking to santa...doesn't sound like you've been naughty,,,so i've instructed my elves to send ya a T-shirt [long or short sleeve???],,,and www hat and a few extra treats,,,,

it would be treat to see your mug sporting your stuff over here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646947

FYI: until ADV-rider came into my life,,,practically everyone of my customers i met on apersonal level,,,so i knew who i was building this wheel for,,and the few occasions that i buildt larger quantities for still had a face to it,,,,hence my dedication to gettin gthings right for you all,,,,transfering and infusing these notions into my workforce has been an ongoing chore,,,

matt crawford in his ''Shop class as soulcraft'',,laments and ponders the same things....OBTW,,if you are into craftsmanship and excellence ,,'tis a superb read!!

so i created that thread not so much to showcase the fruits of my labors but rather to see and bond with you who place your trust and $$$ in me..

merry xmas,,,
and thanks again,,,

woody n the gang

PS: any of the rest of you souls hungering for your T-shirt's that i promised [santa does run out from time to time ,,not to mention is quite forgetful these days,,,just holler and i'll do ya right
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 09:14 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #2344
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
pre-2008 KLR-650 17 to 18 conversion do-able??? $$$ ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Hey,

What would it cost me to get my 2000 KLR650 rear rim remade with a black 18" CACR in whatever width you recommend? Would new spokes be needed? Cheers
ok ,,once again,,,'tis doable AND ya have limited tire size because of limited space

here's the tire fitment chart that's on my web-site
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/rim_and_tire.htm

in a nutshell i /we recommend 2.50x18 for 50-50/all around use ,,,running 120/80 or90 amd some 130/80 or90 tires,,and yes you'll need another spoke set

circa $415 on the low end and just under $500 for Superlace and extra beefy with one year warranty

merry x-mas
woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 10:36 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #2345
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
tips on F800GS rear rim conversion 17'' to 18'' but what widths to use???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzcvlh View Post
Posted by nzcvlh
Hi Woody,

I purchased a set of wheels from you last year for a set of street tires and they have worked out great. I would now like take the original rear and convert it from 17" to 18" and narrow it up to accept more dirt oriented dual sport tires like rally raid or 606s

. I would like the flexibility to use either 140 or 130 width tires. It seems an 18 x 3" would be ideal, but I would like your recommendation.there are no 3'' wide rims currently available so we install 3.5x18,,,ideal for more street oriented 50-50 riding What are the optional widths ?for more off-road riding improvement the 2.5x18 rim is the way to go,,can make tubeles if you forego rhen need fro rim-locks and vise-versa

Would I be better off just selling my current wheel and just buying another Rad hub wheel? IMHO,,,you'll do fine if the hub is checked for the bearing bore isssues and you are trying to save money,,,we usually use the beefier RAD hubs for dirt work the rear runs $550 set up and double-checked by us,,then you'll need sprockets[supersprox @$87 ea,,,they are configured to KTM sizes hence offering you a broad range of sprockets to choose from

Do you take trades? sometimes

Bottomline, is I'm looking for the best way to turn my 17" to an 18" and be able to use the widest variety of Dual Sport tires in the 130 or 140 width range. I think the 120 width might be a bit to narrow for the paved roads I will run across. I would appreciate your wisdom. thanks

Dave Stark
FYI there are quite a fe threads on this subject,,,with all kinds of wisdom/recommendations for gearing etc...gotta play santa
when i get a chance,,,i'll see if i can track em down,,othersise just google advrider F800GS 18 rear wheel

merry xmas

woody n the gang
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #2346
nzcvlh
Adventurer
 
nzcvlh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Superior Township, MI (Ann Arbor)
Oddometer: 68
Hi Woody. Lets just talk when you get free from the Holiday activities. Call or PM me when you get a chance. I've searched threads and frankly most are about impact to ABS function and gear ratios. I get all that. Wondering what widths you actually have. I did not see that in the threads.
2.50
3.00
3.50
etc.....?

Thanks
Dave
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #2347
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzcvlh View Post
Hi Woody. Lets just talk when you get free from the Holiday activities. Call or PM me when you get a chance. I've searched threads and frankly most are about impact to ABS function and gear ratios. I get all that. Wondering what widths you actually have. I did not see that in the threads.10-4


2.50 = ideal for off-road

3.00= NA
3.50 = good for all-around street n off-road
etc.....?

Thanks you're welcome,,,
Dave
w
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #2348
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,736
X Challenge

Woody,
I have a 07 BMW G650X Challenge. 21" front wheel is bent, just a bit. I've been riding it anyway, but I can't air the front tire down like I'd prefer, because I'm afraid I will bend it worse..
I've always heard the X Challenge wheels were soft.
So, I need to replace the front rim. How do I go about getting it done?
Do I send the whole wheel assembly (w hub and spokes) to you? I hope so.

Please let me know what I'm looking at for cost. Also, I'm always looking for a deal, so if you have a reasonably good one that's less $$ great.. I'm pushing 60, so I don't need the best one made for winning the PD..
However, I'm also pushing 240, so I need one thats pretty stout.. Ha

Thanks,
Jeff
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #2349
Aarono2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Lake Arrowhead
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
ok ,,once again,,,'tis doable AND ya have limited tire size because of limited space
in a nutshell i /we recommend 2.50x18 for 50-50/all around use ,,,running 120/80 or90 amd some 130/80 or90 tires,,and yes you'll need another spoke set
Thanks Woody. I have already clearanced my swing-arm for the larger rim and I'm prepared to add more chain if needed.
One more question; My buddy that I ride with is on a xr650l which comes stock with an 18x2.15 rear rim. Seems to work pretty well for him. Any reason I should go with the wider 18x2.50 instead?
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #2350
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
2.15 or 2.5 x18 on KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Thanks Woody. I have already clearanced my swing-arm for the larger rim and I'm prepared to add more chain if needed.
One more question; My buddy that I ride with is on a xr650l which comes stock with an 18x2.15 rear rim. Seems to work pretty well for him. Any reason I should go with the wider 18x2.50 instead?
the narrower rim IMHO will not support your highest good doing alot of street riding especially if you use 80 series rubber..look at the chart i provided,,you'll notice non of the tire sizes you mentioned is speced for that narrow of a rim...that narrower rim of course will provide a rounder profile for off road use..ie you'll have the knobs digging in better when leaned over...
w
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #2351
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
BMW G650X-challenge ,,,what to do with bent oem rim???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
Woody,
I have a 07 BMW G650X Challenge. 21" front wheel is bent, just a bit. I've been riding it anyway, but I can't air the front tire down like I'd prefer, because I'm afraid I will bend it worse..well ,you're crap-detector is feeding you solid advice

I've always heard the X Challenge wheels were soft.and you're hearing the truth

So, I need to replace the front rim. whoa,,,we could straighten/re-true it circa $70-120 ,,your cheapest option

How do I go about getting it done?
Do I send the whole wheel assembly (w hub and spokes) to you? I hope so.
by getting the complete wheel assy to us,,,,the back of our web-site has all the S&H instructions...

Please let me know what I'm looking at for cost. Also, I'm always looking for a deal,you n everyone else

so if you have a reasonably good one that's less $$ great..will check for you

I'm pushing 60, so I don't need the best one made for winning the PD..
However, I'm also pushing 240, so I need one thats pretty stout.. Ha
well the second piece of personal information pre-empts your age

Thanks,
Jeff
so here's some options

1..if ya want a stronger rim we can get you one ....$168 for silver excel plus $100 to unlace/relace n true with your oem spokes n nipples
[your options are messed up because bmw uses tiny nipples so we have to custom drill it,,,and there's no bigger nipples available for your spokes,,]

2,,,beefier stronger all the way around = price of rim plus a beefy ss spoke n nipple kit Circa $100 and $111 to Superlace n true it with one year warranty...


woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #2352
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
so here's some options

1..if ya want a stronger rim we can get you one ....$168 for silver excel plus $100 to unlace/relace n true with your oem spokes n nipples
[your options are messed up because bmw uses tiny nipples so we have to custom drill it,,,and there's no bigger nipples available for your spokes,,]

2,,,beefier stronger all the way around = price of rim plus a beefy ss spoke n nipple kit Circa $100 and $111 to Superlace n true it with one year warranty...


woody
I'm a cheap son of a gun.. Option #1 will work for me. How do I get this done? Send in the complete wheel, less the tire? Along with the payment.. I have a Feb ride in TX (where I bent the front wheel last yr)
I can ride it as is, but would like to get it fixed.. How long do you need it? Etc..
Thanks,
Jeff
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #2353
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
I'm a cheap son of a gun.. Option #1 will work for me. How do I get this done? Send in the complete wheel, less the tire? Along with the payment.. I have a Feb ride in TX (where I bent the front wheel last yr)
I can ride it as is, but would like to get it fixed.. How long do you need it? Etc..
Thanks,
Jeff
hi jeff,
just send wheel complete,and we'll have a silver rim ready for you by hte time it gets here,same day several day turn around time...shipping instructions etc are in back of my website,,see below
thanks

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #2354
fudgypup
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
w
Another satisfied customer
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #2355
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca.
Oddometer: 7,015
Just dropped my KTM 530 XC-W rear wheel off to get converted to Cush hub & superlaced.......should be ready by Friday.


Cant wait.
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014