Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #2401
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Awesome. Was just up at Renazco's shop and saw one of those BMW wheels. Was wondering about adapting those rims to fit other hubs/bikes.
lordy,,if i knew of anything that would work ,,,i'da been on it like the proverbial flies on s---!!!

we've converted the genuine tubeless Aprillia Caponord rims to many othe r36 holed hubs...there's a dirth of proper hubs available

but there other ways to do things ,,keep me posted
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #2402
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,337
Sounds Woodys might need to start making some custom hubs? Maybe take a look at my design portfolio and lemme know if you want to talk about that. Would be a fun project...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #2403
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Hey Woodie;
Is it possible to "paint" the excel rims?
Just thinking that the colors available in anodizing aren't exactly what I'd be looking for but it is available in paint. I wonder about the effects (if any) the paint process (baking) would have on the rims?
Thanks.
greatnortoni
sometimes when I fall over - I just lay there and get a closer look at the flowers
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #2404
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

trails less traveled,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Sounds Woodys might need to start making some custom hubs? Maybe take a look at my design portfolio and lemme know if you want to talk about that. Would be a fun project...
from the looks of your name we have a lot in common....

me,i'm just a bridger of gaps

what ya got in mind???
holler
woody
Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #2405
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

painting /powdercoating heat treated rims,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatnortoni View Post
Hey Woodie;
Is it possible to "paint" the excel rims?
Just thinking that the colors available in anodizing aren't exactly what I'd be looking for but it is available in paint. I wonder about the effects (if any) the paint process (baking) would have on the rims?
Thanks.
greatnortoni
sometimes when I fall over - I just lay there and get a closer look at the flowers
,,,,me too!!!

great norton and the rest of ya,,,

regarding powdercoating your 6000 and 7000 series aluminum alloy rims,,,,yes ,,,we reluctantly do it on any machine that will see hard service.....so we'll PC em for 'show bikes' street cruisers,,customs... and never for a dual sport,MX,bike that expects their rims to take ahit or two

hope that answers that
w
Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #2406
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Woody;
Just to clarify, I was referring to spraying a urethane paint onto the rims not powdercoating.
I realize the durability issue when it comes to using tire irons, but I'm not too worried about that.
Thanks for your reply.
greatnortoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
,,,,me too!!!

great norton and the rest of ya,,,

regarding powdercoating your 6000 and 7000 series aluminum alloy rims,,,,yes ,,,we reluctantly do it on any machine that will see hard service.....so we'll PC em for 'show bikes' street cruisers,,customs... and never for a dual sport,MX,bike that expects their rims to take ahit or two

hope that answers that
w
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #2407
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,331
Hey Woody,

Somewhere in this thread you mention a preference for BMW brand adhesive wheel weights. I have been unable to track down a source, do you have a source you are willing and able to share with us?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #2408
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

bmw brand adhesive wheel weights????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Hey Woody,

Somewhere in this thread you mention a preference for BMW brand adhesive wheel weights. I have been unable to track down a source, do you have a source you are willing and able to share with us?
oh lordy ya got me on that one,,can't ever recall having a preference for them,,however here's a link to the official BMW part#s etc for what you are looking for

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Psssst...remember clean ,clean clean the spot ypu apply em to

w
Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #2409
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
oh lordy ya got me on that one,,can't ever recall having a preference for them,,however here's a link to the official BMW part#s etc for what you are looking for

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Psssst...remember clean ,clean clean the spot ypu apply em to

w

Not that I have anything against you but, not unlike being a customer of the ER dept at a hospital, I hope I don't become your customer.

But. I may. The front wheel on my 08 GS is defying all attempts to be balanced. I even tried splitting the weights in a "Y" pattern with heavy spot at the bottom. I'm taking the wheel with mounted tire to my local Honda dealer to see if they can balance it on their spin balancer. It had 70 grams before I took the old tire off and yes, I found the heavy spot on the rim sans tire first. Hope it's something you can cure if it comes to that.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #2410
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

so ya have an unbalanced wheel,,,,

Quote:

Not that I have anything against you but, not unlike being a customer of the ER dept at a hospital, I hope I don't become your customer.

But. I may. The front wheel on my 08 GS is defying all attempts to be balanced. I even tried splitting the weights in a "Y" pattern with heavy spot at the bottom. I'm taking the wheel with mounted tire to my local Honda dealer to see if they can balance it on their spin balancer. It had 70 grams before I took the old tire off and yes, I found the heavy spot on the rim sans tire first. Hope it's something you can cure if it comes to that.
ok weazy,,,

follow this routine for optimizing your balance....however,,before ya start a few factoids,,,

1,,a 'true wheel' trumps a balanced wheel
get
hence,,always check and do what it takes to get your wheel true first,,because you'll be wasting your time ,,,,you'll pay for that balance and then your wheel will still hop and/or wobble down the highway
2,,you can have true wheels that are way out of balance most notably cast wheels that have been grabbed and machined off-center to the casting
Rx = pre-balance if it is true and way out of wack or simply mark the heavy or light spot and then use that as a starting point as opposed to using the valve stema s the starting point,,,this will minimize needing more weights than necessary...

keep in mind that the truer and less weight ya need,,,,the better off you'll be...less mass has positive effects on un-sprung weight ,,accelerating/decelerating ,,,centrifugal force,,,premature tire wear issues

of course all of this discussion assumes you have a tire that is doing all of the good stuff just mentioned,,,ie being round and evenly formed/balanced

OBTW,,i'm a big fan of the Y or delta technique for anything over 1-2 oz,,i use that on all the bonneville and road-race wheels we send out.

hope that helps
woody

Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #2411
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Thanks again. I crudely measured run out with what I'd peg as 60% confidence given that I've never done it and don't have a truing stand. I got 1.7mm radial run out and 0.96mm lateral. I know that is over what you shoot for but within tolerence in the Haynes manual I have.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #2412
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

checking your run-out on a BMW X-laced wheel....

Quote:
Thanks again. I crudely measured run out with what I'd peg as 60% confidence given that I've never done it and don't have a truing stand. I got 1.7mm radial run out and 0.96mm lateral. I know that is over what you shoot for but within tolerence in the Haynes manual I have.
hey weazy,,ya never mentioned WHERE you are checking your run-out...

FYI,,,run-out is far more accurate when measured on the inside edges of the rim lips for lateral run-out = 'wobble' ,,,,and on the flat surface of the bead for longtitudinal/radial run-out = 'hop'

these surfaces determine where your tire ends up on your wheel and control the amount of hop and/or wobble you experience.

IMHO,,,BMW's spec are adequate for knobby tires/offroad use...the more street oriented the tire the more you will experience vibration/wobbles/hopping if the wheel is running at the outer limits of the oem specs...

keep in mind there's abig difference when i say ''trued +/- .010'' which means the rim dances no more than .010'' left/right from the center-line for a total run-out of .020''....the BMW manuals all used to say +/- xx mm.., whereas all the X-laced wheels have an interesting way of being measured...1/3 of the wheel is off limits to being measured ie the 60 degrees on either side of the welded area and the aforementioned total run-out limit of 1.5mm /.060'' in any direction...your dilemma can be having wheel that is basically running true and then your rim has a 1.5mm BLIP in one spot...that BLIP although ''in tolerance will give you problems
holler,
woody

PS,,if your Haynes manual sez 1.7mm is ok,,well it doesn't coincid with BMW's specs of 1.5mm max
Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #2413
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
why not shoot a pic of your current front end what model/year it came from,,the hub ya have,,give me axle diameter...
there may be a simpler way to skin this cat

did you do a preliminary check to see if your caliper will clear your spokes when the hub is centered in fron end...

holler
w
Finally got a chance to mock up the front-end. Here are some pics...

P1010910
P1010920
P1010915

This is the R100GS wheel with KTM 48mm forks. A BMW axle (25mm) fits, using a 0.5mm sleeve fitted in the left hand axle clamp (KTM is 26mm). The 4-piston caliper just clears the spokes with the hub centered.

Note that I intend to keep the BMW x-spoke wheels for this bike, hence having to find a solution for adapting a disc.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2414
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
hey weazy,,ya never mentioned WHERE you are checking your run-out...

FYI,,,run-out is far more accurate when measured on the inside edges of the rim lips for lateral run-out = 'wobble' ,,,,and on the flat surface of the bead for longtitudinal/radial run-out = 'hop'

these surfaces determine where your tire ends up on your wheel and control the amount of hop and/or wobble you experience.

IMHO,,,BMW's spec are adequate for knobby tires/offroad use...the more street oriented the tire the more you will experience vibration/wobbles/hopping if the wheel is running at the outer limits of the oem specs...

keep in mind there's abig difference when i say ''trued +/- .010'' which means the rim dances no more than .010'' left/right from the center-line for a total run-out of .020''....the BMW manuals all used to say +/- xx mm.., whereas all the X-laced wheels have an interesting way of being measured...1/3 of the wheel is off limits to being measured ie the 60 degrees on either side of the welded area and the aforementioned total run-out limit of 1.5mm /.060'' in any direction...your dilemma can be having wheel that is basically running true and then your rim has a 1.5mm BLIP in one spot...that BLIP although ''in tolerance will give you problems
holler,
woody

PS,,if your Haynes manual sez 1.7mm is ok,,well it doesn't coincid with BMW's specs of 1.5mm max
Runout: I checked radial runout on the spot you mentioned but lateral I checked on the outside. I feel like getting an accurate reading is out of my league.

Rim BLIP you mention above: Can you fix a discrepancy even if it is in the welded, forbidden, area?

I missed riding the GS so I mounted the wheel and went riding. Everything seemed fine but I noticed a hop at around 32mph but then again maybe it was that particular stretch of asphalt. It's now rainy but when the weather clears I'll find a smooth stretch of road to compare how that specific stretch of road feels on my VFR at that same speed vs. the GS.

Do you think the hopping I feel would be visible to someone riding or driving besides me? If so I may recruit a friend to be my wing man during my test runs.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #2415
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

now that we know where you checked run-out,,,,

Quote:
Runout: I checked radial runout on the spot you mentioned but lateral I checked on the outside. I feel like getting an accurate reading is out of my league.well,,if ya checked runout on th eoutside surface you will never get an accurate reaing,,,FYI,,the outside of the behr rims varies circa 2-4mm in width especially where they do all the blending by hand it appears

Rim BLIP you mention above: Can you fix a discrepancy even if it is in the welded, forbidden, area?we routinely repair the divots if they are more than .035'' deep,,half are within my tolerance level the rest routinely have up to .080''/2mm divot ground out

I missed riding the GS so I mounted the wheel and went riding. Everything seemed fine but I noticed a hop at around 32mph but then again maybe it was that particular stretch of asphalt. It's now rainy but when the weather clears I'll find a smooth stretch of road to compare how that specific stretch of road feels on my VFR at that same speed vs. the GS.

Do you think the hopping I feel would be visible to someone riding or driving besides me? If so I may recruit a friend to be my wing man during my test runs.pal,it should be visible to YOU,,if ya just set it up on the centerstand,,have someone hold the front end down ,,put it in 1st gear,,you'll instantly have all your answers ,,,that wheel should just be shimmering,,,,no rythmic hops or wobbling.,,if you can see it then,,, the odds are you will feel it on the road especially with street oriented tires.

nothing wrong with having a friend follow and confirm what's happening.

Thanks!
later,,
woody