Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #2431
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Did any of the bigger KTM's ever come with 19" front wheels that can be adapted to the smaller bikes? Have an extra SM wheelset, but have been thinking that a 19" front wheel might be a little bit more versatile.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #2432
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,338
did 19's ever come on the big KTM's????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Did any of the bigger KTM's ever come with 19" front wheels that can be adapted to the smaller bikes? Have an extra SM wheelset, but have been thinking that a 19" front wheel might be a little bit more versatile.
not to my knowledge...

however it's easy to convert your 17'' to a 19""circa $450-500 depending on rim choice,,color etc etc ,,just send in old wheel complete...

that in conjunction with a 4.25-5.5 x17 rear will get ya the most smiles per miles...
here's a link

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....31&postcount=1

enjoy the read

holler when you are ready

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 11:50 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #2433
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Awesome, thanks for the link to all that info!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #2434
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

One more quick question: if I've already got an extra 19" rear rim off a KTM laying around, can that be laced-up to a front hub?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #2435
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

is OEM rear 19'' dirt-bike rim useable for front 950/990 use???

Quote:
One more quick question: if I've already got an extra 19" rear rim off a KTM laying around, can that be laced-up to a front hub?
sorry the the rear dirt bike rims are 1.85 possibly 2.15 x19..a bit narrow for the rubber you'll wan to use for your bike ...it requires a 2.5x 19 rim,,,,the other issues is the indexing i believe is wrong not to mention the drilling is for a much wider hub

hope that helps
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 11:50 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #2436
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

OK, thanks for the reply. Laced-up a 19x2.15 hoop for the front wheel of one of my other bikes and that seemed to work out pretty well with the distanzia that I ran, but if the way the rim's drilled won't allow me to lace it up to a front hub I guess I'm hosed...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #2437
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
So after a couple of years.... I made the jump on the 18 inch ...tubeless conversion on the F800GS...... Rather than re-writing the review..... I will just post a link.....In short... Fantastic.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759024

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 02:47 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #2438
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
OK, thanks for the reply. Laced-up a 19x2.15 hoop for the front wheel of one of my other bikes and that seemed to work out pretty well with the distanzia that I ran, but if the way the rim's drilled won't allow me to lace it up to a front hub I guess I'm hosed...
Just checked with Zach if we can re drill/angle it and counter-sink to match your front hub...if it's do-able even though not optimal for the 110/80x19 tire size that's optimal for your bike... it would be $30 for that service unless of course ya can do it yourself

here's a link to tire fitment

http://woodyswheelworks.com/rim_and_tire.htm

OBTW,,you'll need a spoke kit too,,,we recommend the better 'Superlace x3 version ,,,the stock X2 version is the same price $125 for ss spokes n nipples or save $15 with zartan/nickle platted steel kit

FYI,,we ascertained that it behooves you to go with the Superlace set-up because the lace pattern and spoke /nipple angles of the X3 set-up are closer to what you have now...

holler if we can help,,

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 11:48 AM
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #2439
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Just checked with Zach if we can re drill/angle it and counter-sink to match your front hub...if it's do-able even though not optimal for the 110/80x19 tire size that's optimal for your bike... it would be $30 for that service unless of course ya can do it yourself

here's a link to tire fitment

http://woodyswheelworks.com/rim_and_tire.htm

OBTW,,you'll need a spoke kit too,,,we recommend the better 'Superlace x3 version ,,,the stock X2 version is the same price $125 for ss spokes n nipples or save $15 with zartan/nickle platted steel kit

FYI,,we ascertained that it behooves you to go with the Superlace set-up because the lace pattern and spoke /nipple angles of the X3 set-up are closer to what you have now...

holler if we can help,,

woody
Thanks Woody, that sounds great. Have an extra cush-hub that I'd like to lace-up at the same time, so I'll hit you up when I'm ready to order all the parts I'll need.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #2440
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
new wheels from Woody's http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=35

21/17 Excel
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #2441
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 210
XR650R front rim replacement

Hello. It might have already been covered, but I don't have time to read through all 100+ pages. Found out my front stock DID rim is cracked, so am looking for a replacement. I know the stock rim specks are 21"x1.6"x36 holes. These seem to be about universal specs for dirt-bike front wheels in general. What other specs on the rim/hub/spokes matter, that would prevent me from using any other stock rim from say a Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.? For instance, I know the stock KTM Excel wheels have a bigger spoke hole.
Thanks.

ps. I plan to re-lace using new Buchanan spokes to the stock hub.
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2442
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

rim for XR650

Thanks for posting.

If you don't want to modify the rim.

The rim needs to be:
1) drilled for a stock front hub, which most are.
2) have a Jap lace pattern, most are, meaning that where the spokes form an "X", the spoke coming from the other side between the "X", goes to the left.
3) same size nipple holes as the nipple you plan to use, so either get the rim to match the stock nipples, or the nipples to match the rim.

It cannot be drilled for:
1) a conical hub, meaning that one side of the hub is larger diameter than the other
2) a drum hub, where the hub is really large, diameter on both sides.

Most aftermarket rims drilled for a front dirtbike/enduro have Jap lace pattern, drilled for front standard hub, and 0.320" nipple holes. Includes most Excel's, DIDs, Pro Wheel...

Since you are replacing the spokes, you should replace the nipples at the same time because:
1) Honda uses a fine thread spoke and nipple, the standard 9 gauge or 8 gauge spoke will not fit.
2) Most stock motorcycles(excluding KTM, the XR, and a few others), use aluminum nipples and the threads stretch or the outside gets marred and they become unusable.
3) It's far easier to get the correct OD nipples to fit an aftermarket rim, usually less expensive, and upgrade on quality, then to get rim with stock size nipple holes and re-use. Larger diameter nipple hole, larger surface area in rim, stronger wheel(in general).

On the XR, you probably would want the 9 gauge spoke you may have to lightly drill the hub to make room for the spoke.

We sometimes have good used rims in stock, so can always email to check.

You can order these spoke sets from us or from Buchanan's. We usually have in stock. Definitely have the nipples.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Hello. It might have already been covered, but I don't have time to read through all 100+ pages. Found out my front stock DID rim is cracked, so am looking for a replacement. I know the stock rim specks are 21"x1.6"x36 holes. These seem to be about universal specs for dirt-bike front wheels in general. What other specs on the rim/hub/spokes matter, that would prevent me from using any other stock rim from say a Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.? For instance, I know the stock KTM Excel wheels have a bigger spoke hole.
Thanks.

ps. I plan to re-lace using new Buchanan spokes to the stock hub.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #2443
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Hi-

I came here after reading about ball bearing conversions for older airheads.

I'm in the process of restoring a Moto Guzzi Eldorado, which is also equipped with tapered roller bearings. The problem is, they are of a size that is very hard to find- 22x48x15.5.

If I wanted to switch to ball bearings, obviously I would need some sort of adapter/shim made, but what I don't understand is when you switch to ball bearings, does the whole inner spacer go away? I understand that tapered rollers need to be firmly fixed side to side to set up the preload properly, but what about ball bearings?
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #2444
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

switching from tapered to ball-bearings on Moto Guzzi Eldorado???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare View Post
Hi-

I came here after reading about ball bearing conversions for older airheads.we do many conversions,,often to larger axle diameters for road racing,,MX etc,,,increases stability/less flex on front ends essentially translating to improved handling.

I'm in the process of restoring a Moto Guzzi Eldorado, which is also equipped with tapered roller bearings. The problem is, they are of a size that is very hard to find- 22x48x15.5. There's many way way to 'skin the cat'....i'll check into the possibilities...going to 17mm axle sounds interesting..have to see your current configuration/specs/pics

If I wanted to switch to ball bearings, obviously I would need some sort of adapter/shim made, but what I don't understand is when you switch to ball bearings, does the whole inner spacer go away?
your old spacer will be replaced by one that essentially will be .010-.020'' longer than the inside lips in your hub,,ie the inner lips that support your bearings....FYI we use .010'' for steel spacers and .020'' for alloy spacers.

I understand that tapered rollers need to be firmly fixed side to side to set up the preload properly, but what about ball bearings?
that's correct,,,depending on manufacturers specs/suggestions they may have a certain pre-load[BMW] and others none ...the others will usually give a free-play spec [HarleyDavidson]...
Ball bearings have internal tolerances speced for RPM/load/side-loads...most all the bearings we use for wheels are C-3 double sealed units.
hope that helps ya
woody
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #2445
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,010
Hi,

Found someone who's selling Excel J21x1.6 front wheel with Talon hub and an Excel J18x2.5 rear wheel with Talon hub, both originally from a KTM 520/525 locally here in Abudhabi.

Talon hubs i hear good things about but, how good are the Excel J rims ?

Can i use the Talon hub and Excel rims on my '07 KTM990Adv ? If not, can the Excel Rims be laced to the stock KTM990Adv hubs (with a spoke kit if required) ? I'm already running a 2.5" Dirtstar rim from the 950SE laced to stock Adv hub and want to go with a full dirt setup (1.6" front and 2.5" rear).

thanks