User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #2491
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
F800 wheelset

I am about to order an off road oriented wheelset. I ride fast logging roads and rocky two track and have beat the snot out of my stock front rim. I still do a fair amount of highway miles.....should i do the 21x1.6 or the 1.85. Im running d606 on the fron and am thinking 18x3.5 on the rear.....whats is your experience in this regard.

Thanks in advance for your advise
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #2492
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
F800GS Wheel Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrywhiteguy View Post
I am about to order an off road oriented wheelset. I ride fast logging roads and rocky two track and have beat the snot out of my stock front rim. I still do a fair amount of highway miles.....should i do the 21x1.6 or the 1.85. Im running d606 on the fron and am thinking 18x3.5 on the rear.....whats is your experience in this regard.

Thanks in advance for your advise

In our experience's the 1.6 x 21 would be best for running low tire pressure's and riding very aggressive off-road. Otherwise the 1.85 x 21 excel rim is fine for everything else and helps the tire life out on-road.

The rear 3.5 x 18 will be better for more aggressive tire choice's, and can still use the 150/70-18 tire for off-road. The 2.5 x 18 will work best if you drop the tire pressure and are more aggressive off-road.

You can contact us at 303-936-0232, 1-866-936-0232 toll free or woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

thanks zach
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 02:30 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #2493
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Tweaking the spoke holes?

I'm assembling a 2.15x19 inch rim with a KTM 450 front hub. Since the rim is designed for a rear hub, the spoke holes are drilled at an angle to reach a wider hub. (rear hub is about 5 inches wide and front is about 3") This is causing a slight bow to all the spokes.

Is it acceptable to modify the spoke holes with a drill bit to obtain proper nipple trajectory? Thanks WWW.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #2494
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

re-angling holes for recycling/transforming rims to use with diiferent size hubs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I'm assembling a 2.15x19 inch rim with a KTM 450 front hub. Since the rim is designed for a rear hub, the spoke holes are drilled at an angle to reach a wider hub. (rear hub is about 5 inches wide and front is about 3") This is causing a slight bow to all the spokes.

Is it acceptable to modify the spoke holes with a drill bit to obtain proper nipple trajectory? Thanks WWW.
we do that everyday,,,
re-drilling for new spoke angle is just part of the process,,it provies relief for the side of the nipple,,,as soon as ya tighten the nipple the old seat will interfere with the head of the nipple,,

hence,,phase/step #2 is necessary ,,ie counter-sinking the the rim to match the new spoke direction.. we have specially made countersinks that stabilize the the countersink ie keep it centered in the nioole hole.

FYI we charge $30 for this service,,it is part of the superlacing technique,,usually sme day service

woody
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #2495
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleefurd View Post
Got Woody's package in the mail.[LIST][*]Excel A60 21x1.6
A "complaint" is so rare on this thread it piqued my curiosity. I looked at the above poster's other posts and found that "cleefurd" had deleted the content of ALL of his other 9 posts shortly after posting the above post and leaving this one undeleted. Very strange indeed.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #2496
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

bitter sweet and close but no cigar???

cleefurd,,,,'tis woody chiming in from northern Germany,,

pal,,,if you are disapointed,,well,,i can assure you that i am even more than disillusioned,,dismayed amd downright disgusted that my troopies handled you and your order in that manner,,,

FYI,,,i/we do our best to maintain the standards and service record i've achieved over the years,,,i give our customers the benefit of the doubt,,,and at days end there's also another side of the story,,, your feedback though is rather sincere,, and makes me believe ya truly know what you are talking about,,m' thinks ya may be a master craftsman/machinist type perhaps...hence,i'm all ears.

FYI,,,i personally believe and demand the notion of EXCELLENCE be a corner stone of the Wheel Work experience,,Quick timely service is another benchmark for most of what we do,,,(custom orders like powdercoated spokes n nipples special rim colors do take additional time)

the other notion has to do with mastery,,,i have always aspired to being a master craftsman and imbue those parameters for my technicians..
we have a poster somewhere that sez:

'a MASTER is someone who builds/delivers his product within specs and as requested,,,,
the first time
on time,,,
everytime.

Sounds simple enough to me....well my gang promised me i needn't worry while i took off on a much needed family reunion in my old homeland...and they wouldn't be there if they hadn't already demonstrated their abilities.

Cheefurd,,i have already set things in motion to make sure you get what you had hoped for. Things have gone awry from time to time ,,often due to product not being delivered a swe requested,,,

I hate using the expression 'shit happens..because IMHO it is a cop out ...You have my assurance,,i will get to the bottom of this and create a win-win scenario at days end,,even though you/we may have gotten off to a rocky start.
Let's continue the conversation via e-mail,PMs and or skype..

thanks for trying to do business with us
i will not abandon my principles or your trust.
woody

Quote:
Got Woody's package in the mail.
  • Excel A60 21x1.6
  • Excel 7000 18x3.5
  • Overize black powder coated stainless spoke sets for each. (what gauge is "Oversized???")
  • Guess the spoke wrench is back-ordered since it did not show yet.
Took about 11 days to receive a quote and a few weeks to powder coat spokes (nicely done too). 10 days later they are here!!

Not sure what Excel uses to drill and champher their spoke holes with. Whatever they use they must be dull, and run dry with excessive force, because several of the rear rim holes have fractured missing aluminum chunks almost the size of match-heads, that will leave big unsupported areas around the nipples in the direction they will be pulled once tightened. The voids almost break out into the spoke side of the dimple on a few of the holes, looked a lot like chunks of wood that go AWOL when drilling plywood. Then the champher tool/countersink chattered on many holes, which may have grabbed and lifted the chunks from the brittle edges, aggrivating matters. Adding insult to injury I have an Outex kit, gap filling super glue, and Goop on standby to go tubeless. With chunks of aluminum gone the superglue would not just be a sealant, it would be asked to perform load bearing duties during stress fluctuations (everything flexes during impacts, and superglue won't perform as well as 7000 series aluminum). Every set of Excels I have been inside of, and pictures I have seen on the web of Excel spoke holes showed up as anodized. The ones I received from Woody's were machined holes, so perhaps Excel is trying something new here. Hopefully they get it sorted out.

Doubtful Excel would exchange them though. Mainly because the 72 spokes (bundled together with a 3" piece of masking tape) wreaked havoc on the rim. The parcel looked great on the outside, but the spokes/nipples in two sandwich baggies were free to roam... and did. If you lace your own I would ask Woody's to tape the spokes to the inside of the box so they won't run amuck during transit. Left nicks through the black rims creating around 40 smiley faces (from threaded end of stainless bundled spokes) all the way down to bare aluminum, which did not take much force since Excel's black coating has always tended to be more decorative than robust.

Zach was very knowlegable and helpful from start to finish. One of their techs assured me that A60 front rims had safety beads... perhaps I misunderstood. Still no such animal.

I will cross my fingers and see if the farctured rear holes can still go tubeless with the Outex kit... as soon as the ????back-ordered??? spoke wrench arrives.

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #2497
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

a few more thoughts,,,

Quote:
Woody,
Sounds like my words were well received. Thank you for the reply. In due time the number of dings in that rim will rival the stars in the Milky Way, and I embrace weathering the bike. At present she is immaculate, and strategic placement of the flash in any photos for posterity will keep the trivial blemishes from showing in the scrap-book. My fingers are crossed about the tubeless prospects. I am a machine shop owner and the fractured nipple cavities did taunt my eyes, but do not dampen my enthusiastic will to put the rim in service. If nothing else the hurdle will only serve to strengthen my resolve to MAKE the idea (tubeless) work come heck or hi-water!!!! No worries.
so cleefurd,,,i will send another rim your way if you so desire,,so be it if this one will work for you,,,i dig your rationalizations and hey it is not what ya paid for,,e'll do something to make it right though,,
ÖK,, since the tubeless scenario fascinates you so much,,i will give you the surest quickest most reliable way to enhance the the OUTEX system..and here ya go,,
follow steps 1-6 in this post 'cept the silicone part..,your outex outer skin takes the place of the silicone layer...IMHO you could even skip putting the Plumbers goop stuff on...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=98

the 'gap filling super glue with the accelerator will fill all the cavities surrounding the nipple and set up hard as a rock,,this in turn provides a solid base so that the outex skin does not stretch as much as you see in there pictorials/you tube video

In the grand scheme of things, it was my sincere intent to offer future remedy, encouraging your patrons to suggest the bundled spokes be secured. FYI,,,we usually take the kits in their bag and place em in the the drop center on the outside of the rim with a few wraps of tape,, won't go anywhere,,, Odds are most of your work ships laced up, meaning mine represented packing methods seldom required. well,often enough though to warrent proper packaging techniques

The powder coating looked great, which speaks volumes of your outsourcing skills.... another thumbs up.
we do our best to have our out-sourced work be done at our usual standard level,,'tis hard to find passionate craftsmen these days,,,

woody
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #2498
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

"The Spoke n' Word"

Greetings fellow inmates! If you haven't heard, Woody's Wheel Works is going through some major changes. For details visit our all-new website where you can read the May issue of our new monthly newsletter and sign up for receiving them in your email detailing the developments and reporting on all things wheel.

Click The Spoke n' Word

From Newsletters
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #2499
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
Woody - just bought these lovely wheels from you a week or so back, for my 950 Adventure.

Can a tube-type tire be run on this tubeless rear wheel, or do I need to specifically run a tire that is compatible for tube and/or tubeless?
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #2500
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

tube type tire on tubeless wheel ,,yes or no???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Woody - just bought these lovely wheels from you a week or so back, for my 950 Adventure.

Can a tube-type tire be run on this tubeless rear wheel, or do I need to specifically run a tire that is compatible for tube and/or tubeless?
well ,,i've heard of people getting away with it,,,IMHO,,the tire companies claim there IS a difference ,,hence i defer to them ...in your case either swap someone for a TL/ tubeless tire for your TT/ tube-type tire and enjoy the benefits of going tubeless...

you could carefully remove the valve stem,,by using an exacto knife aroud the base of the valve stem ,,remove and save it for later use(re-install with a little silicone seal around the base and outside ,,so i töoolks like it does now) no need for a rim band ,,ya have the toughest rim band going

mount and balance your tire

still,,Psssst go tubeless..try it ,,you'll like it,,AND somone spent extra dough$$$ to make em that way

from old germany

woody
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #2501
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
.Hey Woody;
Are these rims painted or anodized? They look real nice!
greatnortoni
sometimes when I fall over, I see all the pretty little rocks.

greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #2502
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

repsol orange rims

They are powdercoated Repsol orange. Give a holler if you are interested in a set.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatnortoni View Post
.Hey Woody;
Are these rims painted or anodized? They look real nice!
greatnortoni
sometimes when I fall over, I see all the pretty little rocks.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #2503
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Yo, Woody, I'm interested in sprucing up my wheels, BMW R100/7, and need your opinion on having them powder coated or anodized. What method will withstand tire irons and general maintenance ?? Dark red is my color choice., thanks in advance, Dave.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2504
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 551
Question new hub?

I ride a 2008 WR250R Yama & have a 2nd set of wheels for D606's that fit a WRX, made by SMPro. How much would it be to put a WRR hub on the front only? You'd know better than I if new spokes & nipples are needed too.
PM if you need email, etc.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #2505
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
New 990 front wheel

Woody,

Just received the 990 front (new 1.85 Excel, stainless spokes, super lace, new bearings). Looks great (bad cell photo) and rather indestructible.

Sure is an improvement over what I sent you.

Thanks,

Jack
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote