And

Broke out the tire tools

Sweet. Thanks Woody and gang
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #2627
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
KTM 1190 Adventure Wheels

Thanks for the info and post, always welcome here. We are trying to obtain more info on the wheels and would love to get our hands on a set to know exactly what they will and will not fit. Everything suggests that they are tubeless wheels, and appears that they are either using DID tubeless rims, or Alpina tubeless set-up, just would need to get/find close-up pic of the nipple area to determine. (more likely they went with DID as they have a closer relationship there). A close-up pic of the hubs would help determine what hubs are being used and whether can directly fit or made to fit the 950/990.

KTM has been known to make there hubs and wheels pretty standard, i.e. only making small changes year to year or keeping the same hub/wheel for years.

The ABS could be different, but looks similar to the newer 990s, would need to get a set in here, some better pics, and/or parts breakdown to determine.

Info from JC Hildebrand on the bike here and the mentioning of the tubeless wheels: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/880/14...irst-Look.aspx

Obviously a major thread about the 1190 on ADV here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...784473&page=76
Certainly looks to be pointed more towards a street ride, then off-road bike. Will likely be building some 19/17 wheelsets for the added street performance.

As we get more info or if anyone has one already let us know and we will continue to update.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
I'm not new to biking, been at it for ~ 33 yrs, but I've never been much of a wrencher, other than oil changes, and any DIY has been mostly cosmetic stuff, although as an owner of a new 990 ADV R, that is starting to change . Please excuse my noob ignorance here if my question is blatantly obvious to you and others: Following are the specs on the new 2013 1190 Adv R and I note they come with TUBELESS 21" front and 18" rear wheels. My ?-would these be interchangable or adaptable to the 950/990's? Would their new 'off-road' ABS tech matter?

(info from Chilly's Enduro360.com site)
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R Specifications
  • LC8 V-twin engine with dual ignition, Keihin engine management, electronic fuel injection with drive-by-wire and slipper clutch. This is similar to the motor in the current RC8 model.
  • Power: 110 kW/150 hp, Torque: 125 Nm, 15.000 km of inspections, KTM also promises low power consumption
  • 235 kg fully fueled
  • Multistage Combined ABS BOSCH
  • BOSCH multi-Traction Control (MTC)
  • Modern VDO instrument cluster
  • Full WP USD forks with adjustable with separate compression and rebound
  • WP fully adjustable rear shock absorber
  • World’s first off-road modes for ABS and traction control.
  • Trellis frame
  • Tubeless tires on wire wheels – 90/90- 21 front, 150/60-18 rear
  • Footpegs, seat height, handlebar position and adjustable windshield
  • Modern VDO instrument package
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #2628
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

HP2 with Superlite wheels

Thanks for the pics. Always a pleasure working with you. Look forward to hearing how they perform and seeing the kind of paces you put them through.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Santa in the brown truck showed up the other day. In the boxes

And

Broke out the tire tools

Sweet. Thanks Woody and gang
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #2629
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 243
Wink 2013 1190 adv tubeless wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Thanks for the info and post, always welcome here. We are trying to obtain more info on the wheels and would love to get our hands on a set to know exactly what they will and will not fit. Everything suggests that they are tubeless wheels, and appears that they are either using DID tubeless rims, or Alpina tubeless set-up, just would need to get/find close-up pic of the nipple area to determine. (more likely they went with DID as they have a closer relationship there). A close-up pic of the hubs would help determine what hubs are being used and whether can directly fit or made to fit the 950/990. ...........
Info from JC Hildebrand on the bike here and the mentioning of the tubeless wheels: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/880/14...irst-Look.aspx
As we get more info or if anyone has one already let us know and we will continue to update.

Thanks,
Chris

Thank you Chris,
Figured you folks would be keeping an eye on this. Indeed may be getting 19/17 conversions, but I also think the 1190 ADV non-R comes that way. It's just the R with the 21/18 combo. If these new wheels can be retrofit to the 950/990's that will be great, in my opinion. And if so, then I'm anxious to see how you'll make em better.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #2630
Newfie_DR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hey Woody,

Any luck on wire wheels for a 2008 Honda Varadero?

I think Honda made the wheels out of puddy or butter. I've destroyed one before and have now limited the bike to street use only. I'm glad I got an XR650R to take care of the off road excursions.

In an email a long while ago you indicated you were looking for a bike to measure and possible design a wheel?

If anyone in the Colorado area has a Varadero please bring it over for measurements. Varadero owners around the world would really appreciate this.

2005 Honda XR650R
2008 Ural Gear Up - Desert Camo
1998 Buell S1 - Lightning
1998 Buell S3T - Thunderbolt
2005 Buell Blast
2000 Suzuki DRZ400e
Newfie_DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #2631
Two Brothers
Tire Guru

Oddometer: 322
Spoke wheels for a 04-05 Suzuki GSXR 600

Hey woody, wanted to know if you knew of a company that makes spokes wheel for sportbikes? If they are either tubeless or tube type. i want to keep the same size tires on it. Front 120/70r17 rear 180/50/17. any help would be awesome. thanks
Two Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #2632
leadthrower21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Do you have any advice for this set of Excel rims from a DRZ400SM? I've tried everything to clean them and still no luck. Is it possible to re-anodize them or am I stuck with powdercoat/new rims?
leadthrower21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2633
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

anodizing turning to s___,,,what to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadthrower21 View Post
Do you have any advice for this set of Excel rims from a DRZ400SM? I've tried everything to clean them and still no luck. Is it possible to re-anodize them or am I stuck with powdercoat/new rims?
for starters,,,if you are going off-road or competing in anything rough n tuff you do NOT want to powder-coat your wheels,,,makes em softer from our experience,,next

these wheels look like they've seen salty conditions and /or cleaning fluids like Simple-Green,,,theya ll attack the anodized finish,,,

so we take em strip and re-anodize,,...satin black or any othe rcolor ya want = $75 if you want a shiny finish add $25 for re-polishing the rim after it gets stripped...

Rim R&R and true + $100 ,,,circa one -two week turn around..

woody

PS if ya want em stronger ,,we can Superlace n true = $111 + ss spoke n nipple set = $125
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #2634
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

spoke wheels for sport bikes????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Brothers View Post
Hey woody, wanted to know if you knew of a company that makes spokes wheel for sportbikes? If they are either tubeless or tube type. i want to keep the same size tires on it. Front 120/70r17 rear 180/50/17. any help would be awesome. thanks

pal,,i've been doing stuff like that for 40 years,,,not many requests these days for that kin dof project,,,

and sorry i do not have specs on your oem wheels...so...

yse we can build dang near any thing ya want,,,

if you are lucky we can recycle wheels that are close to the specs/node points of yours...this keeps the cost down..otherwise we will have to re-invent it .
wheel sets like that will run between $2-4k depending upon lucky vs unlucky

this would be a winter-time project...we'd need both wheels with rotors/all spacers/cush an dsprocket drive assys..so we can determine the critical nodepoints..

FYI gone are the days when most manufacturers offered the public a mag AND a wire wheeeled version of the same wheel set-ups,,made life way easier for me...

holler

woody
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #2635
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

honda Varadero wheel sets???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie_DR650 View Post
Hey Woody,

Any luck on wire wheels for a 2008 Honda Varadero?

I think Honda made the wheels out of puddy or butter. I've destroyed one before and have now limited the bike to street use only. I'm glad I got an XR650R to take care of the off road excursions.

In an email a long while ago you indicated you were looking for a bike to measure and possible design a wheel?

If anyone in the Colorado area has a Varadero please bring it over for measurements. Varadero owners around the world would really appreciate this.
sorry mate,,just returned from the Rawhyde Adventur rallye in Moab,,,

talked with Zach,,he's checking his notes,,

woody

update: as far as we know we have not had any in here or built wheels for this bike. We would need a set of wheels to determine if we could adapt another set or build a custom set. So, if anyone out there is interested in sending or stopping by with a set of the wheels, give us a holler.

Thanks

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 10:40 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #2636
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
,,just returned from the Rawhyde Adventur rallye in Moab,,,

woody
It was a real pleasure to chat there with you, Zach and Mike!

Thanks for the work you guys do!

__
Mikko
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #2637
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
picked up my 19" front wheel for the KLR today, mounted it and took her out for a spin. Felt great on the streets (and interstate). Thanks for the fast turn-around, good price and outstanding work.

micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #2638
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Thanks

for the business and a pleasure working with you. Enjoy the better street ride and let us know if you need anything in the future.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah360 View Post
picked up my 19" front wheel for the KLR today, mounted it and took her out for a spin. Felt great on the streets (and interstate). Thanks for the fast turn-around, good price and outstanding work.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #2639
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
KTM 990 ADV front wheel. Can it be sealed?

Hi Woody:

The Saxess stock front 21 incher is like the underperforming student, can it be saved?

No safety bead, but the Scorpion tires have a fairly stiff sidewall.

For frugal (read: "cheap bastard") riders like me can the stock front be saved/sealed? Super-laced?

Edward "Ted" Marshall
Wilmette, IL.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #2640
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

what to do with saxess 21''???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Hi Woody:

The Saxess stock front 21 incher is like the underperforming student, can it be saved?

No safety bead, but the Scorpion tires have a fairly stiff sidewall.

For frugal (read: "cheap bastard") riders like me can the stock front be saved/sealed? Super-laced?

Edward "Ted" Marshall
Wilmette, IL.
FYI there are 2 versions of the SAXESS 2.15x21 available,,,ALL made by Behr in old germany...

a,,the original ''butter ball'' Behr as used on most KTM 950/990/LC-4s as well as early BMW F800GSs,,IMHO a waste of $$$ TO REPAIR OR UPGRADE

b,,the in between Behrs with a SAXESS label on em as delivered on many FbooGSs ,same verdict as above

c,, in the last year we have encountered a stiffer version of the Saxess branded Behr rims,,,got snookered by one at last years RMAR event in Saguache CO,,,a guy cruise in on a new 990 with a major dent in the front lip...lilooked real stupid showing the folks the old tried n true 3x4 and a big mallet trick to straighten what i thought was an 'ol butter-ball'',,hence i knew the rim was upgraded because it reponded more like an Excel...and we have seen/heard of something similar going on with the F800GSs..i'm sure the newer stuff is being introduced in a helter skelter way,,same went with the rear
upgraded hubs,,so it is essentially a crap-shoot

What i oe we can do is get the numbers off of the side of rim and i'm sure we'll be able to tell what's what in the future..

holler
woody

OBTW once more ..WE WILL NOT SEAL AN RIMS NOT SPORTING A SAFETY BEAD!!