Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #2656
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
21" front fender for all R1200GS/GSAs figured out!!!

at long last,,,
here's the link to story n pics:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=109

holler with feedback...

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 03:08 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2657
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Ktm 950 smr

hi,

Do you offer color spokes? If so where do you recommend us looking for inspiration for rim color/spoke/nipples pictures? I cant look through 178 pages ;-s

and..

what is the purpose of changing the hub?

thanks,

lukeinlondon screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 06:25 PM
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #2658
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

color spokes ,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
hi,

Do you offer color spokes? If so where do you recommend us looking for inspiration for rim color/spoke/nipples pictures? I cant look through 178 pages ;-s

and..

what is the purpose of changing the hub?

thanks,
we have pics i'm sure on our website

www.woodyswheelworks.com

we come up with whatever you want pretty much,,visualize it and...
w
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #2659
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

laine Mac Taque's learn to ride in the sand school this weekend!!!

folks,,here's another california adventure/dual-sport ride instructor that has my blessing,,

He's got a wonderful way for you to burn of your Thanks-giving day calories

RIDING IN THE SAND!!!

here's his link etc

Happy thanksgiving! Eat hearty; you'll use a lot of calories during class this weekend:

Sand 101
(http://earthrider-amgi.blogspot.com/...ot-my-foe.html)
Learning to enjoy sand is a major game-changer, especially in southern California. Click the link to find out more.

Tire Lofting
(http://earthrider-amgi.blogspot.com/...roduction.html)
Think of this as a valuable riding safety skill, which happens to be fun, too. Read more on the web page.

It looks like perfect riding weather this weekend; hope to see you then!

Best,Laine MacTague, CI

EarthRider - Adventure Moto Guiding & Instruction
EarthRider on Facebook
C - 805.421.8773

go for it!!!!
tell him ''woody '' sent ya

woody

Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2660
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
CVB750 Bobber front wheel

Woody:

Circa 1980 Honda CB750 with spoked wheels; a 17" rear with a "larger" drum brake hub and a 19" front with a "smaller" hub. Can you re-drill (?) the rear rim and spoke it to the front hub if I send you these two components? The entire wheel will be powder coated, so less expensive spokes would suffice.

Ballpark estimate? Turnaround time?

Thanks...

Wrysingfeenix
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #2661
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

cheapo way to swap rims from rear to front don't always work...here's why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrysingfeenix View Post
Woody:

Circa 1980 Honda CB750 with spoked wheels; a 17" rear with a "larger" drum brake hub and a 19" front with a "smaller" hub. Can you re-drill (?) the rear rim and spoke it to the front hub if I send you these two components? The entire wheel will be powder coated, so less expensive spokes would suffice.

Ballpark estimate? Turnaround time?

Thanks...

Wrysingfeenix
ok pardner,,,the idea is great,,the devil is in the details,,,if they are chrome/steel rims this conversion is more difficult to re-angle than if ya had alloy rims[we have more latitude ..
HOWEVER in this/your case the spoke angle is too radical on the rear rim to be converted to the spoke angle on the front,,,..just lay one wheel on top o feach other and you'll see the predicament ,,the lil disc hub up front has the spokes coming almost straight out of the dimple,,look at the rear and the spokes are coming out of the outer edges of the dimple,,,

tell me what you are trying to do,,my hunch some quasi super moto machine or perhaps something with a big wheel front street cruiser...

you'll need a different/custom spoke kit,,want low budget we can probably put a good used set together for circa $50 new circa $100

i'll see what 17 x2.15 or was it a2.5x 17 that was on them ol hondas...

whatever ,,we can help ya within your $$ constraints...
woody
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #2662
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
Big wheel front street cruiser (bobber look)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
ok pardner,,,the idea is great,,the devil is in the details,,,if they are chrome/steel rims this conversion is more difficult to re-angle than if ya had alloy rims[we have more latitude ..
HOWEVER in this/your case the spoke angle is too radical on the rear rim to be converted to the spoke angle on the front,,,..just lay one wheel on top o feach other and you'll see the predicament ,,the lil disc hub up front has the spokes coming almost straight out of the dimple,,look at the rear and the spokes are coming out of the outer edges of the dimple,,,

tell me what you are trying to do,,my hunch some quasi super moto machine or perhaps something with a big wheel front street cruiser...

you'll need a different/custom spoke kit,,want low budget we can probably put a good used set together for circa $50 new circa $100

i'll see what 17 x2.15 or was it a2.5x 17 that was on them ol hondas...

whatever ,,we can help ya within your $$ constraints...
woody
The rear rims are 2.5 x 17.

Exactly...I started out on a cafe' racer project and have decided to have an easily converted 2-3 bike package. Two tanks, two seats, two sets of bars, two sets of side covers, 2.5 -3 sets of wheels, etc. all interchangeable in an easy afternoon or less.

I currently have stock spoked powder coated wheels installed for a "street tracker" look, have a spare set of original spoked wheels and would like to have a "bobber" option with a fat front wheel (hence my question, and I suspected you'd confirm my amateur guess that the spoke angle was too extreme to modify easily) and...I have a set of Comstar wheels that will be powder coated and used with the "cafe racer" version.

Used would be fine, but please clarify...are you saying that with the correct spokes I could, in fact, lace the small hub to the wide rim? I can build the wheel (I have experience with bicycle wheels) and I have a buddy who has extensive experience truing them, and it is a low budget project, but I'm not penny wise/pound foolish about it.

Or. Do you mean you could build a wheel on my front hub with a used rim that you have?

And...as always, thanks for your time, expertise, and attention. I and basically everyone who knows you and/or your reputation, appreciate it.

Wrysingfeenix
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo

wrysingfeenix screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:39 PM
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #2663
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrysingfeenix;

,,,,,,Used would be fine, but please clarify...are you saying that with the correct spokes I could, in fact, lace the small hub to the wide rim?[SIZE=3
no,,,you need the correct spokes AND you need a properly angled dimples in the rim you use,,it's a total package,,,[/SIZE] I can build the wheel (I have experience with bicycle wheels) and I have a buddy who has extensive experience truing them, and it is a low budget project,i heard ya loud n clear but I'm not penny wise/pound foolish about it.now you are talking common sense,,,,

Or. Do you mean you could build a wheel on my front hub with a used rim that you have?who puts it togethe ris up to you,,,but what ya put together has to be an interdependent correct set-up,,,so if youvare going to powdercoat the whole wheel assy it doesn't matter if we use a good/straight rim and good spokes,,you are obviously not racing the bike ,,essentially you want to cruise around looking cool eh?? no problem,,will check my stuff n get back to ya,,,with a few options,,,

And...as always, thanks for your time, expertise, and attention. I and basically everyone who knows you and/or your reputation, appreciate it.

Wrysingfeenix
PS,,thanks for the attaboys,,,i/we do try to give back a little,,it's an easy equation for me,,that has worked my entire life,,my grand-pa opa lapp always told me ''give back more than you take,,,and the world will be your oyster,,,thank goodness i like oysters in any shape or form!!
later
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 04:32 AM
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #2664
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer: 140
PM sent!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #2665
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,097
I tried searching the thread for ATK but not enough letters, so here goes.

Bike's a '99 605 that someone is looking to trade me. I'm wondering about cush drive options. It has Talon hubs and Excel A60's I believe, 2.15x18. Could the Talon be fitted with a cush or should I be looking for something off another bike? I'm hearing about options for a KLR or DR650 wheel working (with spacer mods, not sure if I could keep the stock rotor or not), but getting one of those in a 18" or going down to 17" sounds like bigger money or a loss in ride quality.

I've also noticed people saying LC4 wheels work for SM stuff, but that's the wrong wheel for what I'm looking to do. Not sure if their hubs can be fitted to a 2.15x18. I'd like to be able to put a few hundred slab miles on to get to a rally without wearing out the drivetrain and still keep up on the trails, but the cush issue is the #1 problem in making it more 50/50 friendly. I know about the Kush Sprockets as well but the verdict is out on their quality/value.

Any advice on making this work is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #2666
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

ATK cush hub options.

We are looking into what will work on the ATK for a cush hub. Need to get a rear wheel with the spacer's, bearings, rotor and sprocket. RAD makes all our billet cush hub's but they don't have anything listed.

I will post when we find out what is compatable.

Thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
I tried searching the thread for ATK but not enough letters, so here goes.

Bike's a '99 605 that someone is looking to trade me. I'm wondering about cush drive options. It has Talon hubs and Excel A60's I believe, 2.15x18. Could the Talon be fitted with a cush or should I be looking for something off another bike? I'm hearing about options for a KLR or DR650 wheel working (with spacer mods, not sure if I could keep the stock rotor or not), but getting one of those in a 18" or going down to 17" sounds like bigger money or a loss in ride quality.

I've also noticed people saying LC4 wheels work for SM stuff, but that's the wrong wheel for what I'm looking to do. Not sure if their hubs can be fitted to a 2.15x18. I'd like to be able to put a few hundred slab miles on to get to a rally without wearing out the drivetrain and still keep up on the trails, but the cush issue is the #1 problem in making it more 50/50 friendly. I know about the Kush Sprockets as well but the verdict is out on their quality/value.

Any advice on making this work is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #2667
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,506
Yo,

I am building up a Ninja 650R into a dirt machine. I am using KTM 450 suspension including swingarm. Since the countershaft sprocket is much further outboard on a sport bike vs dirt bike, I currently have a chain alignment issue. I solved this on the CBR i built by spacing out the rear sprocket and machining down the CS sprocket (to get it closer to the block). That took care of all alignment issues.

Someone in my build thread suggested that instead of centering the KTM swingarm (it is narrower than the Ninja frame and needs spacers) I should move the swingarm all the way to the left so that the chain aligns with everything stock. Then relace the wheel to the right to get the tire back on center.

I did that last night (moved the swingarm) and it made the packaging of the KTM shock much nicer too so I think I want to run with this.

The distance the tire needs to be offset is about 0.55". Is that too much? Would I need new spokes? $$?

This is how it looks with swingarm centered

This is how it looks with swingarm offset to the left

The last bike you guys helped me with was the FZ1 but that was running a KTM 950 swingarm and cush and was much wider I did not need to do anything to get that to work.

Thanks

Peter

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #2668
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

can we accomodate moving rim .550'' to right in order to.....

....in order to compensate the swing-arm having been moved to left??/

we should be able to if the rear hub flanges/spoke holes are wide enough to still have some decent geometry..this is accomplished several ways:
1,,lengthening spokes on left side and shortening on right,,,we can figure out how much
2,,the nipple holes will have to be re-angulated and countersunk to accomodate the different angle of attack
3,,we'd want stronger spokes on right usually to accomodate extra stress
4,,custom spoke kit ss heavy duty w ss nipples circa $125+/-
5,,having us superlace it would be cheapest/bullet proof option ,,includes re-angling/countersinking as part of process with a 1 year warranty= $111

holler when you are ready

woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Yo,

I am building up a Ninja 650R into a dirt machine. I am using KTM 450 suspension including swingarm. Since the countershaft sprocket is much further outboard on a sport bike vs dirt bike, I currently have a chain alignment issue. I solved this on the CBR i built by spacing out the rear sprocket and machining down the CS sprocket (to get it closer to the block). That took care of all alignment issues.

Someone in my build thread suggested that instead of centering the KTM swingarm (it is narrower than the Ninja frame and needs spacers) I should move the swingarm all the way to the left so that the chain aligns with everything stock. Then relace the wheel to the right to get the tire back on center.

I did that last night (moved the swingarm) and it made the packaging of the KTM shock much nicer too so I think I want to run with this.

The distance the tire needs to be offset is about 0.55". Is that too much? Would I need new spokes? $$?

This is how it looks with swingarm centered

This is how it looks with swingarm offset to the left

The last bike you guys helped me with was the FZ1 but that was running a KTM 950 swingarm and cush and was much wider I did not need to do anything to get that to work.

Thanks

Peter
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #2669
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,506
If I'm going to spend the money to do this is there a better hub like a 640 or rad that I can get that will give me cush drive that fits the swingarm?

I'm ready btw

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #2670
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

are cush drive hubs available for special conversion project???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
If I'm going to spend the money to do this is there a better hub like a 640 or rad that I can get that will give me cush drive that fits the swingarm?

I'm ready btw
sailah,,yes there's all kinds of cush hubs available,,,whether they will work for your project depends on:

1,, the spacing/lining up of your sprockets CS and rear
2,,location of disc relative to caliper
3,,axle diameter
4 location of rim relative to hub and center-line of bike
5,,your pocketbook...FYI most RAD cush drive assemblies are circa $550 these days oem ones a little more or less,,used ..circa 30-70% of new depending on condition and demand
6,,ya need to draw a sketch/take pics and show me the node points /fill in the data i mentioned above
7,,lot's of folks just bring the bike by or at least the wheel/axle/swing-arm with caliper on it,,and we can take it from there perfectly

holler
woody