User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #766
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
Cafe build wheel questions

I've been daydreaming about a project I'm about to start. As part of that project, I'd like to work over the wheels. I have a 69-71 Honda CB175 with front and rear drum. I'd like to pull the hubs off and powdercoat them black while converting the hoops and spokes to black anodized aluminum to match (excel or DID?). Can you PM me with some ballpark figures on what I should budget? Also, the sizes of the stock tires are 2.75x18 and 3x18...I was wondering if a tire rim width change might make getting conventional street tires easier than the vintage sizes.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #767
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,306
CB-175 wheel upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
I've been daydreaming about a project I'm about to start. As part of that project, I'd like to work over the wheels. I have a 69-71 Honda CB175 with front and rear drum. I'd like to pull the hubs off and powdercoat them black while converting the hoops and spokes to black anodized aluminum to match (excel or DID?). Can you PM me with some ballpark figures on what I should budget? Also, the sizes of the stock tires are 2.75x18 and 3x18...I was wondering if a tire rim width change might make getting conventional street tires easier than the vintage sizes.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
sean,,,we can handle ALL of the above services,,,circa $700 w stronger ss spokes and zartan nippleas,,,does not include tires

regarding tires,,,,i have to ask,,,what is your intended use for this dream bike?,,,and how much clearance do you have on the existing tire sizes????

later,,,woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #768
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Billet Hubs for HP2/R12GS/R12GSADV

Check out Woody's newest creation here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=65
Old 04-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #769
iqbaliqbal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
950 Adv superlacing...

Sorry to be redundant- I have this in another post in the Vendor area! I’ll take down the previous posting.

Back in Dec, Chris @ Woody’s helped me with an order; a new front rim & spokes with a Superlace pattern for my ‘05 950 Adv. I’ve put-off building the wheel long enough and I finally unassembled the front wheel this AM.
I checked out http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/superlace.htm to get a better understanding of how to lace the wheel, but I still had a couple of quick questions:

1) Do I apply the brown/reddish fluid to the threads on the end of the spokes (I know, embarrassing Q- go ahead, get out of your system guys!). Is that a thread lock or lube?

2) Is there a larger picture that illustrates how the Superlace looks on the wheel once completed? I’m having a hard time getting my walnut-sized brain wrapped around the Superlace pattern. From the pic on the website, is it safe to conclude every spoke will connect to the rim at that ‘near 90 degree angle’ when using the hub’s diameter as a reference?

I’m sure there’s probably a clearer way to ask these questions, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
iqbaliqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #770
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

the rudiments of lacing up you wheel using the SUPERLACE pattern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbaliqbal

Back in Dec, Chris @ Woody’s helped me with an order; a new front rim & spokes with a Superlace pattern for my ‘05 950 Adv. I’ve put-off building the wheel long enough and I finally unassembled the front wheel this AM.
I checked out http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/superlace.htm to get a better understanding of how to lace the wheel, but I still had a couple of quick questions:

1) Do I apply the brown/reddish fluid to the threads on the end of the spokes (I know, embarrassing Q- go ahead, get out of your system guys!). Is that a thread lock or lube?

the hat fluid is a special formulated anti-seize to be used when tightening ss on ss

2) Is there a larger picture that illustrates how the Superlace looks on the wheel once completed? I’m having a hard time getting my walnut-sized brain wrapped around the Superlace pattern. From the pic on the website, is it safe to conclude every spoke will connect to the rim at that ‘near 90 degree angle’ when using the hub’s diameter as a reference?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
your rim was predrilled and countersunk for the new improved x-3 pattern,,,,your oem wheel used a x=2 pattern,,,,assemble the spokes in the hub and 'wind them up so that the spokes going the opposite direction cross 3 spokes going the opposite way,,,,align rim so that when you put the nipple in it points to the spoke that is in alignment with it ,,,do that 36 times and start to snug nipples evenly,,,check the centering left and right,,,,keep on truing your wheel til you are satisfied ,,hopefuly you get to a point where the radial and axial run-out are +/- .020'' 0r less in ALL directions

afterwards,,,:sup er

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 04:24 AM
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #771
iqbaliqbal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
your rim was predrilled and countersunk for the new improved x-3 pattern,,,,your oem wheel used a x=2 pattern,,,,assemble the spokes in the hub and 'wind them up so that the spokes going the opposite direction cross 3 spokes going the opposite way,,,,align rim so that when you put the nipple in it points to the spoek that is in alignment with it ,,,do that 36 times and start to snug nipples evenly,,,check the centering left and right,,,,keep on truing your wheel til you are satisfied ,,hopefuly you get to a point where the radial and axial run-out are +/- .020'' 0r less in ALL directions

afterwards,,,:sup er

woody
I think I understand!
So using a clock’s face as a reference, if I had a spoke pointing to 10:00, that spoke would have 3 spokes crossing its path – say to 12:00, 2:00 and 3:00?
iqbaliqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #772
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

how to tell your lace pattern...once more

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbaliqbal
I think I understand!
So using a clock’s face as a reference, if I had a spoke pointing to 10:00, that spoke would have 3 spokes crossing its path – say to 12:00, 2:00 and 3:00?

when you follow the path of one spoke from the hub to the rim.....

count how many spoke going in the opposite direction that you have crossed..

that equals the lace pattern,,,ie cross none= radial lace,,,cross 1spoke=x1,,,cross 2=x2 etc

the smaller the hub diameter the more crossing you'll need ,,conversely,,,the larger the diameter of hub for the same diameter rim you'll need less crosses to get that optimal 90degree angle

woody
Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #773
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Custom Hawk Project

These photos are from a custom Hawk GT 650 Project.,,,,,the idea is to make awire wheeled dual sport out of the road-bike,,,,since the original mags were inappropriately sized and had a rather large dish/offset to the left on the rear wheel,,,we had a few hurdles to overcome,,,VOILA,,,a few months later thanks to reconfiguring a Superlite BMW rear hub we lucked out,,,,Buchanans custom drilled a4.25x17 excel to my specs,,,,we missed the center'line of the bike and the centerline of the wheel by a whopping.0005''
the front wheel was straightforward 21'' using RAD hub

Below are a couple photos of the rear wheel. Comments and more photos to follow:

left side view with spindle/axle in place,,,,

right side view of rear wheel with mounting cone and axle nut,,,,

i usually sign off on my handiwork,,,someone has to claim responsibility

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-22-2008 at 11:25 AM
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #774
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
From another Woody thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterOx
So I spoke with Woody again today and the options at this point (for the X Challenge) are:

1. use BMW OEM hubs and superlace to Excel rims
+ less expensive and no customization required
+ yields good strong wheelset
- no trick looking, lighter hubs

2. use RAD KTM hubs, use KTM rear rotor and sprocket set, use stock front rotor, add some Woody work and superlace to Excel rims
+ trick RAD hubs
+ yields good strong wheelset
- requires using KTM rear rotor and sprocket
- slightly more money since can't re-use BMW rear rotor/sprocket

3. wait until RAD or someone else is willing to make BMW XCh specific billet hubs...Woody is currently tied up with the HP2/R12GS custom hubs

I chose option #1 for my purposes...I don't care about bling. That said, Woody is great to work with and will build almost anything you come up with.

Woody or Chris: please correct me if I didn't capture the currently available options correctly
Woody, a couple questions:
1) Are these still the options for X-challenge wheels or have you made your superlite hubs for the X-Challenge?

2) Do the RAD KTM hubs use larger bearings than the stock X-Challenge hubs?

3) When I've decided on a desired configuration and want a quote, should I call you, send you a PM on here, or email you?

Thanks
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #775
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

still no Superlite hubs for the X=challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider

1) Are these still the options for X-challenge wheels or have you made your superlite hubs for the X-Challenge?

still in hibernation

can't pull that answer off the top of my head,,,,i believe they were bigger and i basicallu swapped bearings and spacers

3) When I've decided on a desired configuration and want a quote, should I call you, send you a PM on here, or email you?

any of the above works

Thanks
thank u 2,,,waiting to hear from you
woody
Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #776
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,315
Hey Woody and crew,

I have a bungled rear wheel on my 2000 1150GS. I need 7 spokes and seven nipples and no dealers have them and they're months out from the factory in Germany. Do you have any spokes/nipples you'd be willing to sell? Or do you only build wheels and such?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #777
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

we've got the parts,,,but do you have what it takes to fix it????

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
Hey Woody and crew,

I have a bungled rear wheel on my 2000 1150GS. I need 7 spokes and seven nipples and no dealers have them and they're months out from the factory in Germany. Do you have any spokes/nipples you'd be willing to sell? Or do you only build wheels and such?

Thanks,
Brian
hi brian,,,send me an address and the parts will be on their way,,,,there are enough previous posts on installing a few spokes,,,,

just be forewarned that dealing with x-laced rims is a major brain exercise,,,, put em all in gently and tighten evenly,,,til they sound like their neigbors...and make sure the rest are at least snug,,,

again,,,a wobbly wheel with tight spokes will at least get you further than one with loose and missing spokes,,,chill on the speeds you carry,,,,because the remaining 33 spokes have been doing the work of 40,,,,expect some of these to snap too !!!!!

good news is we can help ya down the road and rebuild it for far less money than anew one,,,besides it'll end up truer and stay true longer to boot

holler if we can be of assistance,,,

woody

OBTW,,,,don't forget the lil grub screws hiding way down in the nipples,,,they've snookered more than one wheelsmith,,,myself included

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-22-2008 at 12:59 PM
Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #778
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Woody, you have a set of wheels for sale on you site for the KTM 125 to 525, black Excel rims with orange Talon hubs. Will this set up fit the 2008 530 XCRW's?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #779
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,173
950 Adventure rim

Hi Woody,

How much to replace the front Behr Rim (hoop only, reusing my spokes and hub) with Excel (double label or A60, whatever you recommend) and what is your turn around time?

Thanks,

Rick
CrashDBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #780
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

G650 X-Challenge options

These are still the options on the X-Challenge. We can do the front billet RAD hubs without much difference, but the rear billet hubs are a ways out. The stock hubs are the only matching hubs available at this time.

The bearings are 52mm OD on the Rad's and 42mm OD on the G650's.

If you're intersted in getting a quote, please e-mail me at: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com or call us at the number below.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider

Thanks