ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 AM   #841
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
custom wheels for reno/vegas race,,,,here's what will work, on your X-Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
Woody - say I was going to do something silly like race the 2008 Vegas to Reno on an Xchallenge, what do you recommend?

I would like to keep the price down (this adventure is already costing me a fortune!) but don't want to greatly jeapardize my chances of finishing. My thoughts are to lace a tough (Excel A60?) rim to the stock hub/spokes.

Should I be replacing the spokes too? Superlace?

Probably out of my reach but I also think I heard something about you making some custom hubs. This in the works?
ok smithy,,,no problem,,,what i'd do is use the A-60 up front doesn't get much tougher of a rim currently,,,,Superlace it X-3 with beefy SS spkes and Zartan nipples [unless you are in a corrosive environment, in which case add ss nipples too],,,,that''ll get ya the most durable lace set-up,,,,as for the hub the oem is fine [want a lil more strength and bling,,,,, we can modify a RAD hub,,,this is optional]

on the rear ,,,,essentially the same,,,double signature Excel,rim lock,,,FYI,,,silver rims are more economical and don't show tire iron marks and scrathces/wear n tear as readily
good luck
woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #842
smithy1
rally bike slut
 
smithy1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: eastern pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
ok smithy,,,no problem...
Thanks for the advise! I will be in touch.
__________________
Shawn in PA

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #843
ddog
Adventurer
 
ddog's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 40
BMW F650 ST tubeless rim conversion total cost

Woody,

I know my tube rims have to be changed to make tubeless, you have to custom drill spoke holes, spokes, nipples, bearings, air valve, plug up, cha cha cha ... But I don't know what the total damage estimate is including shipping to and from Sarasota, FL.

What would a good estimate be for a durable rims (250 lb+ rider) and optimum light weight for gas mileage, while riding city to 100 mph runs? And account for pot-holes and road imperfections from trucks weekly on Florida sand-roads.

Stock wheels are F/R (2.15x18)/(3.00x17), and tires I use on current stock rims are F/R (100/90V18-ME88Laser)/(130/80R-MEZ2).

The only mag wheels that seem what I like (NOT 17" front) are on the new BMW F650 GS (twin) and together are $1650 for wheels only [F/R - (2.5x19/3.5x17)]. Half that price for used wheels would be the ticket, but then conversion parts/pains on top of that would make it risky.




Soooooo... other than live with the tubes, you are my only hope. It seems like, from a couple of years ago estimating, it would be about ($300 + shipping) PER wheel.

Is that about right?



Thanks!!

ddog screwed with this post 06-14-2008 at 09:39 AM
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #844
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Socal=Mt. Laguna & Palomar Mtn.> Now in Idaho Yea!
Oddometer: 171
Thank you for the wheel

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to thank you and the other fine folks at Woody's Wheel Works for for building a front wheel with a Behr rim to match the rear Behr rim on my XChallenge. The conversion has more than met my objective, at a very, very reasonable price, to transform this bike into a light weight back roads touring bike :)

I can now just about flat foot it while stopped (even at 6'2" I was on tippy toes before). With the wider Avon Roadriders F/R, braking w/abs has improved a noticeable amount. The front end seems more planted, and the steering is more precise without being twitchy. Overall a more secure feel. Great job! Here is a picture :)

Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #845
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
F650 ST tubeless conversion,,,and better rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog
Woody,

I know my tube rims have to be changed to make tubeless, you have to custom drill spoke holes, spokes, nipples, bearings, air valve, plug up, cha cha cha ... But I don't know what the total damage estimate is including shipping to and from Sarasota, FL.

What would a good estimate be for a durable rims (250 lb+ rider) and optimum light weight for gas mileage, while riding city to 100 mph runs? And account for pot-holes and road imperfections from trucks weekly on Florida sand-roads.

Stock wheels are F/R (2.15x18)/(3.00x17), and tires I use on current stock rims are F/R (100/90V18-ME88Laser)/(130/80R-MEZ2).

The only mag wheels that seem what I like (NOT 17" front) are on the new BMW F650 GS (twin) and together are $1650 for wheels only [F/R - (2.5x19/3.5x17)]. Half that price for used wheels would be the ticket, but then conversion parts/pains on top of that would make it risky.



Soooooo... other than live with the tubes, you are my only hope. It seems like, from a couple of years ago estimating, it would be about ($300 + shipping) PER wheel.

Is that about right?

Thanks!!
OK,,,you asked a variety of questions,,,hmmmnnnnnn

HANDLING,,,seems like all around dualsport use would be enhanced with the rim sizes you quoted from the f800 enduro ie 2.5x19 front 3.50-4.25x17 rear

your talking circa $1k for everything you asked for above,,,Superlace,tubeless and better/tougher components,

silver excels are less money,,,s&h circa $25-30 per wheel each way

hope that helps,,,,,woody

ps,,,,we can always try to find ya good used stuff,,,lust tell me your budget,,,we can make things happen,,,for instance Zartan nipples vs ss nipples saves almost $40-50,,,you're in florida ,,,humid,salty air=rust,,so mo betta to go ss spkes n nipples,,silver over black anodized rims saves another $80-150 and so on
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #846
ddog
Adventurer
 
ddog's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 40
Thanks Woody!! That gives me a lot of info and a stick in the mud.

You said 2.5x19 and 3.5(+)x17 would be a good size for dual sport.
What about strictly street: city, mountains, 90mph touring?

Are there better street sizes? Its hard to say, but I want the lightest weight with a minimum size for excellent street handling.

I liked the increase to 19" (from my 18") due to increasing trail for stability. And to reduce chances of violating one of the many tricky interdependent angles/measures on the rear end, the 17" was chosen to remain.

As far as the widths, 2.5 and 3.5 sounded just above the minimum widths.
I don't know what the Norton Commando wheel widths were for those Dunlop K81's (4.10x19"), but those sure did handle sweet.

Thanks, and that G650 XChallenge above you did really looked trick!! The nicest G650X I've seen yet
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #847
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
ok ,,,i'll say it again,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog
Thanks Woody!! That gives me a lot of info and a stick in the mud.

You said 2.5x19 and 3.5(+)x17 would be a good size for dual sport.
What about strictly street: city, mountains, 90mph touring?

the recommendation stands,,,,,2.5x19 front 100-110/80 x19 tire,,,4''+/- .5'' x17 rear 150-160x17 :t humb

Are there better street sizes? Its hard to say, but I want the lightest weight with a minimum size for excellent street handling.....

well,,,we could super motard it if ya want smaller wheels,,,,the sizes i recommended provide great handling characteristics,,,relaxed/congenial ride chacteristics,,ie rolling over bumpy roads,,,NOT being twitchy,,,having a stable, solid planted feel,,stuff like that do ya get what i'm trying to tell you???,,,,woody

I liked the increase to 19" (from my 18") due to increasing trail for stability. And to reduce chances of violating one of the many tricky interdependent angles/measures on the rear end, the 17" was chosen to remain.

As far as the widths, 2.5 and 3.5 sounded just above the minimum widths.
I don't know what the Norton Commando wheel widths were for those Dunlop K81's (4.10x19"), but those sure did handle sweet.
hope this helps ya
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #848
ddog
Adventurer
 
ddog's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 40
Woody,

Thanks, I understand better now. I'll start saving up.
That G650X above helped persuade me.



Thanks Greatly!!
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #849
RearView
Caveman Philosopher
 
RearView's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Suncoast Floriduh
Oddometer: 532
Hey Woody,

I need some advice on an '07 DR650 setup. What would be the best setup for a street geared setup using my stock hubs. I have already unlaced and cleaned. I am not too worried about dirt capability because I have a set of stock wheels 21,17 for knobbies. Any other versions for this size bike other than 17, 17 that you would recommend. I hear a lot of 19,17 talk to keep dirt options open for the front. And I believe even you metioned an 18,18 setup for enduros very early in this wisdom pool. What is the way to go, oh wise one? There is nothing negative about a more-dirt oriented setup either as that is where I often find myself. I'm just looking for a setup that with the right rubber could get me some canyon carving lean angles, of which living in Florida requires me to go some distance to get. By the way, black anodized rims please. Superlace may or may not be necessary although this project got started from bending the stock rims and breaking some spokes front and rear. Maybe some rough estimate prices would be great. Planning on having tires mounted when new wheels are laced(quote purposes). I will also welcome some tire suggestions. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.


RearView
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #850
Sulla
Adventurer
 
Sulla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: North East
Oddometer: 72
HP2 Super Moto to R1200 GS

Woody,

I have a set of HP2 Super Moto wheels that are still in the box. I traded the bike for a 08 R1200GS with spoked wheels and TKC's and was wondering if the Sumo's wheels could be made to fit or am I better off just getting a new set?

I also have an 05 set of cast wheels with Tourances on them but I was looking to go with a little more of a street bias, say 17" front and back if the Sumo's won't work.

Any help would be apprieciated. I'm also open to trading the whole lot towards a new set up.

Thanks

I forgot to add that the bike will be used on mountain roads, hard packed fire roads and some highway droning. Thanks again.

Sulla screwed with this post 06-19-2008 at 09:08 AM
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #851
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: London, England
Oddometer: 169
Hi Woody,

Can you tell me the turnaround time currently for:
Quotes?
Wheels?

I spoke with Chris two weeks ago, emailed my requirements the same day but nada since, except the automated reply to say you'd received it.

Thanks
__________________
-----------------------------------------
950 A (04)
1190 R (13)
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #852
Varitech
Adventurer
 
Varitech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Irapuato, Gto., Mex :D
Oddometer: 34
New !

Hi Woody !


Again with the theme of V-Strom spoke wheels tubeless


How much the wheels for the KTM with the rim of Aprilia Caponord, and the hub, please send me more pictures, maybe this wheels can put in the V-Strom , the rim it's equal size the V-Strom.

Thankyou !
__________________
En dos ruedas la vida es diferente !

SUZUKI - DL650 K7 - Black Lion.
CAGIVA - CANYON 600 - Blue. (En venta $20,000.00 MX)
HONDA - CB650 - Black.
CARABELA - 125 - Black.
Varitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #853
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
the 19,17 setup works just as great on the DR-s50,,as the LC-4 as the KLR-650

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearView
Hey Woody,

I need some advice on an '07 DR650 setup. What would be the best setup for a street geared setup using my stock hubs. I have already unlaced and cleaned. I am not too worried about dirt capability because I have a set of stock wheels 21,17 for knobbies. Any other versions for this size bike other than 17, 17 that you would recommend. I hear a lot of 19,17 talk to keep dirt options open for the front. And I believe even you metioned an 18,18 setup for enduros very early in this wisdom pool. What is the way to go, oh wise one? There is nothing negative about a more-dirt oriented setup either as that is where I often find myself. I'm just looking for a setup that with the right rubber could get me some canyon carving lean angles, of which living in Florida requires me to go some distance to get. By the way, black anodized rims please. Superlace may or may not be necessary although this project got started from bending the stock rims and breaking some spokes front and rear. Maybe some rough estimate prices would be great. Planning on having tires mounted when new wheels are laced(quote purposes). I will also welcome some tire suggestions. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.


RearView
the reason it works is because ,,,IT WORKS,,,and the dual-sport tire manufacturers have stepped up to the pump to provide the broadest use range to boot,,,Distancias,,TKC-80s,,,marathons,,,conti road attacks,,,,etc,etc
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #854
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
prices for caponard tubeless rims on KTM,LC-4s & 8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitech
Hi Woody !


Again with the theme of V-Strom spoke wheels tubeless


How much the wheels for the KTM with the rim of Aprilia Caponord, and the hub, please send me more pictures, maybe this wheels can put in the V-Strom , the rim it's equal size the V-Strom.

Thankyou !
will check,,,Chris,my son usually handles the pricing,,,,think its mid $2-3k the way you reguested,,,depends on if we use your hubs,,,oem hubs,,or RAD hubs,,,call him toll free 1-866-936-0232

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #855
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,307
my apologies to all the late quotes,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproot
Hi Woody,

Can you tell me the turnaround time currently for:
Quotes?
Wheels?

I spoke with Chris two weeks ago, emailed my requirements the same day but nada since, except the automated reply to say you'd received it.

Thanks
dear folks,,,every once in awhile the bio-rythms have a low point,,,we've been hit with a bunch of ''Shit happens'' stuff,,BWOE,,,my wrist and elbow being operated on several weeks ago and NOT being supposed to use it,,,a shitload of travelers pasing through with tire changes,,,not to mention all you regular customers,,,mother in laws showing up at my doorstep,,,mother dying and going to hospice care,,,etc etc,,,

and the guy in my face at my counter gets heard first,,,and,,,, you all really KNOW the drill,,,be patient,,,i /we will hear you out,,,,my/our track record speaks for itself,,,just hav eto remind yo all

ohhhh,,,and my MARINE CORPS BUDDY ROLLS IN WITH HIS TURBO DUAL DIESEL RIG TOWING A 33' 5TH WHEEL AND HAS BEEN PARKED ON MY FRONT LAWN FOR THE LAST WEEK,,,SEMPER FI,,,,NOW THAT'S BEEN A HELLUVA LOT MO FUN THAN WATCHING SEX IN THE CITY.....woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014