Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #856
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
SULLA,,,you hit the jackpot,,with your sumo kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla
Woody,

I have a set of HP2 Super Moto wheels that are still in the box. I traded the bike for a 08 R1200GS with spoked wheels and TKC's and was wondering if the Sumo's wheels could be made to fit or am I better off just getting a new set?

I also have an 05 set of cast wheels with Tourances on them but I was looking to go with a little more of a street bias, say 17" front and back if the Sumo's won't work.

Any help would be apprieciated. I'm also open to trading the whole lot towards a new set up.

Thanks

I forgot to add that the bike will be used on mountain roads, hard packed fire roads and some highway droning. Thanks again.
lucky you the rear wheel in the sumo kit actually is the oem rear wheel for a 1200GS adv,,fits right on...NOTE ,,DO NOT mix up the rear wheel mounting bolts,,,the mags use the shorter ones the wires longer ones,,,

since the sumo kit was only intended for the HP-2 it had the right disc mounting holes /lugs machined off,,hence you will need a new double disc hub,,,we have several 1200gs wheels built up with 1200GS adv 2.5 x19 black adventure rims,,,for more off-road adventure we could turn it into a a 21'',,,,we do swap/trades//give credit etc all the time ,,just call and talk with chris or me,,,woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #857
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Hey woody.

Can ya fix this? it's on a 2005 GSX-R750...stock wheel.

If the price is right on the repair, i'd like to splurge and custom paint the whole thing while you've got it over there...flourescent orange, i have a sample to color-match.

how far down do i need to break the wheel? tire off? bearings out? i'd like to minimize the disassembly if possible and just ship the wheel and tire all together and have it back orange. i realize if it's a PITA.

abe
Attached Images

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #858
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

no problem....with dent repair or powdercoating...plus estimate $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
Hey woody.

Can ya fix this? it's on a 2005 GSX-R750...stock wheel.

If the price is right on the repair, i'd like to splurge and custom paint the whole thing while you've got it over there...flourescent orange, i have a sample to color-match.

how far down do i need to break the wheel? tire off? bearings out? i'd like to minimize the disassembly if possible and just ship the wheel and tire all together and have it back orange. i realize if it's a PITA.

abe
we can handle the whole thing,,,,

...tire r&r n balance ...$20
...straighten...$130 +/-20
...bearing r&r $20
...media blast and prep for powdercoating circa 30-50,,[sorry chris knows for sure]
...powdercoat circa $100 +/-25,,it would be cheaper to do both wheels at the same time,,,,[our powder coaters have circa $150 minimum]

FYI,,,doing both wheels at the same time insures exact color matching
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #859
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
What about welding a reinforcing ring into the rims?

What about welding a reinforcing rings into the 950 rims?

(This is not my quad, but I have rims just like it.)

I was having a huge problem with bending rims on my quad. Even sock steel ones would not hold up. When ITP came out with a option to get welded in reinforcing rings added, I got a set. They are one tough rim. You can see the claw marks from rocks scraping along the side. I did manage to make a small dent in one, but the impact was so great, the bike did two flips in the air before landing. The rims are indestructible.

Is their something about motorcycle rims that rings can't be welded into them? It seems like with CNC laser/plasma cutters quite common now, rings could be made for low cost. Then just weld them in.

Am I missing something?

I know the best solution is skinny rims with a tough knobby tire, but then it does not hold the street well. I do both street and dirt the same day, same ride. I want it all.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #860
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

why go to this trouble when we have an easier solution??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW
What about welding a reinforcing rings into the 950 rims?

(This is not my quad, but I have rims just like it.)

I was having a huge problem with bending rims on my quad. Even sock steel ones would not hold up. When ITP came out with a option to get welded in reinforcing rings added, I got a set. They are one tough rim. You can see the claw marks from rocks scraping along the side. I did manage to make a small dent in one, but the impact was so great, the bike did two flips in the air before landing. The rims are indestructible.

Is their something about motorcycle rims that rings can't be welded into them? It seems like with CNC laser/plasma cutters quite common now, rings could be made for low cost. Then just weld them in.

Am I missing something?

I know the best solution is skinny rims with a tough knobby tire, but then it does not hold the street well. I do both street and dirt the same day, same ride. I want it all.
well if you want it ALL,,handling,,, strength,,,durability,,,light weight,,,aesthetics,,get a Superlaced 1.60 or 1.85x21 Excel laced up to your oem hub,,,,,or for added strength/bling RAD hub...

here's a thread discussing this issue,,,check out what Neduro our resident dual-sport riding instructor /maestro and recent Baja 1000 racer/finisher on a KTM 950 SE has to say about his 1.6x21 set-up:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=163100&page=4

BTW,,,i have not had a single complaint of reduced handling on the street by reducing the rim width,,,Neduro actually posted his handling on the SE has improved,,,different strokes for different folks

adding all that weight with reinforced ridges would be counterproductive on your dirt bike... ,,,woody

PS,,,some info i PMd to Neduro about his post...

FYI,,,''because the A-60 comes in but one indexing style that we call ''japanese'' and the front Ktm hubs use the 'euro' style indexing it is impossible to use either the stock X2 or the improved X3 superlace pattern. your wheel was 'superlaced'' ie blueprinted ,,it is big improvement over the oem set-up but not the ultimate improvement using the X3 on both sides.
if you look carefully, we did the X-3 on the same side as your disc...the side that initiates the largest loads on your hub'' ...woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 07:27 AM
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #861
rolandska
Around Town

Oddometer: 554
I wonder

Hey Woody,how much differant are the 950 wheels and hubs as opposed to the new ABS 990 wheels?
rolandska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #862
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

I have a nice set of your rims. 1.85 front, 3.5 back, on Excels. With the fancy SS spokes. Both now with dents. Not bad dents, just at some point in the future, the dents will add up and I will have to replace them. I am just planning for that time.

The problem is the only tire, the TCK80, that gives me confidence on the road and the dirt, does not offer much of the way in rim protection. Most people don't seem to mind the squirming feeling the 908 and other tires give them on road, but I can't stand it. If I could get someone to make a better tire, I would. Since I can't, my only other option is better rims. Or slow down, but that is not going to happen.

So the A60 seems like the solution for the front, when my front rim looks like a stop sign, I will send it to you for the A60.

But I don't want to go any smaller then the 3.5" on the rear. The 950 needs all the traction it can get and putting a 3" - 2.5" rim with a weegee tire on the back can't help issues. The weight of the aluminum rings welded to the back rim won't be that much. Can't be any more then the HD tubes we run.

So how about just rings on the rear?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #863
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

dented rims,,,,what now????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW
I have a nice set of your rims. 1.85 front, 3.5 back, on Excels. With the fancy SS spokes. Both now with dents. Not bad dents, just at some point in the future, the dents will add up and I will have to replace them. I am just planning for that time.

The problem is the only tire, the TCK80, that gives me confidence on the road and the dirt, does not offer much of the way in rim protection. Most people don't seem to mind the squirming feeling the 908 and other tires give them on road, but I can't stand it. If I could get someone to make a better tire, I would. Since I can't, my only other option is better rims. Or slow down, but that is not going to happen.

So the A60 seems like the solution for the front, when my front rim looks like a stop sign, I will send it to you for the A60.

But I don't want to go any smaller then the 3.5" on the rear. The 950 needs all the traction it can get and putting a 3" - 2.5" rim with a weegee tire on the back can't help issues. The weight of the aluminum rings welded to the back rim won't be that much. Can't be any more then the HD tubes we run.

So how about just rings on the rear?
pal we can do most anything,,,BUT,,,is it worth it,,,

FYI we can straighten and retrue your wheels usually for less than $150,,,then go out and beat em up again,,,far cheaper than the alternatives ,,,,i imagine it would add $400 to machine reinforcing rings and weld up what ya want,,,we could go down to a 2.50" rim on the rear,,,OBTW,,,the fellows running 2.50x18'' rims report no problems with denting...all the competition machines and 950SE are set-up like that

did ya notice that even with a few dents in your rims that you are still riding and that the spokes are probably tight????,,,that's thanks to the superlace technique....

redoing your front rim to an A-60 will cost for an additional 18 spokes,,, since the A-60 only comes in jap indexing,,, ie we will have to reduce the x3 euro lace patterns on both sides to a x2 on one side to utilize the A-60's strength,,,

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 08:36 PM
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #864
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

950/990 almost interchangeable

The hubs are identical. The front hub uses the same spacer's, but the rear uses the 950 SE spacer on the disc side. So, just a $5-10 part.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandska
Hey Woody,how much differant are the 950 wheels and hubs as opposed to the new ABS 990 wheels?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #865
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
G'Day Woody, I'm in the market for a Guzzi Stelvio when they are released in Oz, but they have a strange rear tyre size (180/55 ZR17) and ALPINA tubeless rims, which limits the choice when it comes to tyre replacement, and aggressive patterns are unobtainable as far as I can find.

So question is; what do you need to make up a new set of tubeless rims with size similar to the BMW GSA - would I have to buy an OEM hub and supply it to you (very expensive) or is there an alternative? Any other suggestions?

TIA for your time.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #866
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

moto guzzi Stelvio tubeless rear wheel /rim conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C
G'Day Woody, I'm in the market for a Guzzi Stelvio when they are released in Oz, but they have a strange rear tyre size (180/55 ZR17) and ALPINA tubeless rims, which limits the choice when it comes to tyre replacement, and aggressive patterns are unobtainable as far as I can find.

So question is; what do you need to make up a new set of tubeless rims with size similar to the BMW GSA - would I have to buy an OEM hub and supply it to you (very expensive) or is there an alternative? Any other suggestions?

TIA for your time.
mike,,,first i need a pic of the wheel,,,36 or 40 spokes,,,size of rim[iwould assume it should be 5-5.5x17 based on the tire size,,,,and which of their tubeless techniques Alpina used on this rim/wheel assy....

going with a 4-4.25 x 17'' rear rim will allow you to use the full gamut of tires available to the bmw GS series rider,,,FYI,,,these tires will be narrower and perhaps 1/2'' radius ie 1'' diameter taller than the 180/55x17s

for economic sense it would most probably be cheaper to rebuild your existing wheel

OBTW,,,just googled this bike and here are all the answers i had questions for plus great pics...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Moto-Guz...ycles/stelvio/

the single sided swing arm sports what appears to be a 36hole rear hub very similar to my Superlite ,,, has a 4 bolt pattern similar to the bmw 1100/1150,,who know maybe one of those oem bmw wheels may fit,,,of course all that old stuff uses the x-lace technique,,,so it won't match the front,,,looks do-able

holler n g'day

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 07:32 AM
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #867
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
pal we can do most anything,,,BUT,,,is it worth it,,,

FYI we can straighten and retrue your wheels usually for less than $150,,,then go out and beat em up again,,,far cheaper than the alternatives ,,,,i imagine it would add $400 to machine reinforcing rings and weld up what ya want,,,we could go down to a 2.50" rim on the rear,,,OBTW,,,the fellows running 2.50x18'' rims report no problems with denting...all the competition machines and 950SE are set-up like that

did ya notice that even with a few dents in your rims that you are still riding and that the spokes are probably tight????,,,that's thanks to the superlace technique....

redoing your front rim to an A-60 will cost for an additional 18 spokes,,, since the A-60 only comes in jap indexing,,, ie we will have to reduce the x3 euro lace patterns on both sides to a x2 on one side to utilize the A-60's strength,,,

Thanks for the answers. When I figure the cost of a new rim is about $200 plus lacing for $100 = $300. Getting rings added to an existing rim for about $400. So about $100 over the cost of a 2.5" swap.

Two things stop me from doing this. My existing rim has a dent, so it would add $150 to the price to fix that. And my rim is black. I am sure whatever coating is used, will not hold up to the welding and look like junk.

However, if I find a straight, dentless, no finish rim for this experiment, expect a call from this nutball.

Thanks a bunch
Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #868
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Cool2 HP2 Superlite front wheel update

Woody and Chris,

I mounted the front wheel 2 weekends ago. It feels (and is) noticeably lighter when riding. The handling and steering characteristics have changed as the handlebar requires less muscle. I'm running a Kenda 776F, good for mixed terrain.

The front wheel deflects easier on mud banks and ruts, so it is important to pay attention the first hour or so on the bike. Mated with the 18" rear wheel, which quickens the steering, the bike is more agile.

Pictures soon. Bike is currently in the garage, as I crashed in a mud hole and busted the right side valve cover.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #869
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
looks do-able
Thanks Woody - When the Stelvio takes up residence in my shed I'll be in touch. In the meantime I might try to get someone who has a GSA to see if their hubs fit.

For any interested, I have listed the available (as far as I can find) tyres Here: http://forum.guzzitech.com/index.php...=2567&catid=33

Thanks again
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #870
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

alternatve wheels for the new Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C
Thanks Woody - When the Stelvio takes up residence in my shed I'll be in touch. In the meantime I might try to get someone who has a GSA to see if their hubs fit.

For any interested, I have listed the available (as far as I can find) tyres Here: http://forum.guzzitech.com/index.php...=2567&catid=33

Thanks again
just perused those posts in the MG Tech forum,,,pass the word that we can build most anything you want for them AND in tubeless

this machine is definetely mainly for the slab,,,,again,,,,the rear rim size 4-4.25x17 would be an optimal number for all around use giving you access to the plethora of tire choices avaible to the GS crowd..

and for the hardy folks that want to single track hese monzters,,,1.85x21 and an even narrower rear would be in order

woody