Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #961
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
have you had a chance to do a motard setup for the 800gs yet? i'm thinking this would be a fun christmas present for myself. preferably tubeless if possible. and would you have any idea on pricing?
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #962
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
BMW800GS super motard wire wheels i assume??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191
have you had a chance to do a motard setup for the 800gs yet? i'm thinking this would be a fun christmas present for myself. preferably tubeless if possible. and would you have any idea on pricing?
haven't done one yet,,,but ya never know,,,am looking for complete front and rear wheel set up

by that i mean i'd need the axle and all the spacers in proper position,,,,the wheel assy with disc/sprockets on it ,,essentially the node points on what i needto replicate and so i can give you a wheel that fits in with no hassle...PLUS a drawing with how much room is available between forks,chain,swingarm and tire PLUS the dimensions of the tire,,,get the drift

better yet get someone to bring a bike tomy shop and we'll do some figuring

thanks,,woody

cost i imagine zirca $1600-2200 a set
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-21-2008 at 09:31 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #963
toofattoraceanymore
Old Racer

Oddometer: 18
2007 950 Se

Woody, need a set of 19/17's for my 950 SE. Would like to swap wheels easily, so need discs, tires, etc. Do I have to modify calipers? How much moola? Can I use the stock axles?
toofattoraceanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #964
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

19/17 set for KTM 950

If you want a perfectly tubeless Capo/KTM set seen here: http://photos.woodyswheelworks.com/a...0Tubeless4.jpg

The set with new KTM hubs, goes for about $2300 in black.

If you want Excel wheels in the 19/17 that are not tubeless, they go for about $1450 in black(silver about $80 less), seen here: http://photos.woodyswheelworks.com/a...ubSetTires.jpg

Re-using your hubs would save about $500 in both cases.

Billet hubs in any color would add $60 per wheel with SE's, it's only $30 per wheel more.

Turnaround is 3-4 days right now for Excel's, 1-2 weeks on tubeless.

Also, if you want all the amenities, like discs, sprockets, tires, etc. we can get them as well.

All the extras, depending on type of tires, rotors, and color would add about $1300.

Let us know what you would like to do and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us at woodyswheelworks@gmail.com or at the phone number below.

Thanks,
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofattoraceanymore
Woody, need a set of 19/17's for my 950 SE. Would like to swap wheels easily, so need discs, tires, etc. Do I have to modify calipers? How much moola? Can I use the stock axles?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #965
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Woody, any thoughts of fitting up a DL1000 (or 650) Vstrom 19" front wheel to a 950Adv as a cheaper road only option ?
In theory with a change of bearings/inner spacer from the stock 20x47 to the 950's 30x47, the 950 axle could be used with some custom outer spacers ?
Not sure on disc spacing, but i'm sure the calipers or discs could be "adjusted" as well.
Do you have any Vstrom wheel spec's handy that you could share ?

Cheers
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #966
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

DL1000 or V-strom wheels for your 950Adventure???...ii don't think so,but i'll check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedzter
Woody, any thoughts of fitting up a DL1000 (or 650) Vstrom 19" front wheel to a 950Adv as a cheaper road only option ?
In theory with a change of bearings/inner spacer from the stock 20x47 to the 950's 30x47, the 950 axle could be used with some custom outer spacers ?
Not sure on disc spacing, but i'm sure the calipers or discs could be "adjusted" as well.
Do you have any Vstrom wheel spec's handy that you could share ?

Cheers
we've looked at many possibilities,,,including using other manufacturers wheels or wheels off of similar models etc

by the time i get the spacing and locations for dialed in,,the modifying process is more likely than not to cost way more than than the cheaper wheel,,,,

Speedzter,,,i have 35 years of crosspollinating and coming up with hybrid solutions,,,in this case the most cost effective way is to just relace the rim.,,,everything fits,,it just takes an hour to transform the bike
woody
Old 10-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #967
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Su-Mo wheelset for an X-Challenge

Woody,

You've quoted me some pricing on a sumo wheelset for my X-challenge and it's a bit more then I can spend. I'm sponsored by a few companies, and can get 36 spoke rims/spoke sets at considerable discounts. Plus, I'd like to lace them up myself and try to save a few bucks there.

Would any 36 spoke rim work with my stock hubs? You mentioned something about drilling the rims..What does this mean?

How do you know what length spokes to use?

I've been working on putting this puzzle together for about a month now...Maybe you can help figure out these last two pieces?

Any advice would be appreciated. THanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #968
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

if ur 2fast 4me y r u asking me questions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
Woody,

You've quoted me some pricing on a sumo wheelset for my X-challenge and it's a bit more then I can spend. I'm sponsored by a few companies, and can get 36 spoke rims/spoke sets at considerable discounts. Plus, I'd like to lace them up myself and try to save a few bucks there.

Would any 36 spoke rim work with my stock hubs? You mentioned something about drilling the rims..What does this mean?

How do you know what length spokes to use?

I've been working on putting this puzzle together for about a month now...Maybe you can help figure out these last two pieces?

Any advice would be appreciated. THanks in advance.
,i feel benevolent 2nite,,so i'll
help u figure out the last 2 pcez of the puzzl...

1,,,How do you know what length spokes to use?

Answer:i went to school and took geometry,trigonometry and physics,,i paid attention and did my homework,,,then i applied what i learned to real solutions to the problems that showed up in my life...Applying these principles to the task at hand showed me that some lace patterns work better than others,,all depending on where the power is applied,,,BWOE a wheel chair and a bicycle/motorcycle have the power source applied in different locations,,,notice that the wheeler usually applies the energy to the rim whereas the power on the bicycle/motorcycle is usually applied via the hub through the spokes to the rim/tire,,,well not everyone concerns themselves with these ideas so they have different results,,,, now if you do your homework you can check this link and it'll show you a better technique ,,,i figured it out years ago and it works,,,of course since its different it usually requires me to change the lace patterns and figure out the new length of spokes,,,well that's why i end up having to redrill and countersink the rims because the holes aren't pointing in th eright direction,,,which brings up the second question u asked....

2,, Would any 36 spoke rim work with my stock hubs?

Answer:NO!!!!,,,u can use any rim on your stock hubs that is drilled for the lace pattern pattern you want to use and for the diameter nipples you want to use and that has the right diameter and width for the type of tires you want to use and for the type of riding you r going to do....ALL these inputs have to be fiqured out and balanced for an optimum experience

here's a little info on what i do to build you a better wheel,,,one that you won't have to constantly tinker with and adjust the spokes after every ride or 2...
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/superlace.shtml

keep me posted,,,,if i was of help,,,

we have most of the components in stock,,new and used,,,,

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-01-2008 at 10:07 AM
Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #969
Didn'tDoit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
International Shipping

Woody,

Im writing from Madrid/Spain to find out if you ship international.
Im interested in getting 2.5 x 18 excel rim in black to fit with a KTM 990S Adventure OEM hub and spokes.
It seems this rim has to be specially made to work properly.
In case you dont ship international, can you recommend a shop in europe where i can order this from?

Thanks in advanced
Didn'tDoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #970
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didn'tDoit
Woody,

Im writing from Madrid/Spain to find out if you ship international.
Im interested in getting 2.5 x 18 excel rim in black to fit with a KTM 990S Adventure OEM hub and spokes.
It seems this rim has to be specially made to work properly.
In case you dont ship international, can you recommend a shop in europe where i can order this from?

Thanks in advanced
1,,,we ship everywhere on earth

2,,,we have these rims but where do you want to use it,,i assume for the rear

thanks,,,woody
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #971
Didn'tDoit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Excel Rim to Spain

Woody,

Yes, its a 2,5 x 18 Excel Rim in Black to replace the OEM rear Rim of a ktm 990 adventure. I just want to be sure you ship it ready to mount on the OEM Spokes and Hub so all the holes match.
I already have a 1,85 x 21 Excel Rim on the front and Im looking for better performance off road.

Can you give me an estimated price for the rim and shipping?

I would call you to finalize this over the phone.

Thanks for the quick response
Didn'tDoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #972
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Hi, I just purchased an Africa Twin wheel to install on my Transalp. I would like to swap out the gold rim for a silver one. What would you recommend I do and how much would I be looking at?

thanks,
Jeff
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #973
randonee
n00b

Oddometer: 0
01 KTM 640 LC4e wheel issue

Hello Woody,
I found out that there was some issue with my front wheel on a 2001 640 LC4e. A dealer said there was a service notice from KTM, and they installed some plastic ties on the LHS spokes on my front wheel. Since I found this out, I've been a bit unsettled about the condition of my front wheel. Do you have any recommendations. Should I get new spokes and/or rims? The dealer didn't know much about it, he said there was an issue w/ spokes breaking and perhaps wheel failure. I guess if there is any issue with it, I'd like get it fixed. Also, is there any known issue with the rear wheel? The dealer said the notice is just for the front.
Thank you very much for any info!
randonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #974
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

rim swap for Transalp/Africa Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Hi, I just purchased an Africa Twin wheel to install on my Transalp. I would like to swap out the gold rim for a silver one. What would you recommend I do and how much would I be looking at?

thanks,
Jeff
so what we'll need to do is swap rims on the Africa Twin wheel you have eh???

send in complete wheel ,,,that way know proper offset and spoke angle/sizewe'll unlace/relace and true it for $100 plus th eprice of a silver rim ...i assume you'll want a1.60x21"" rim,,,depending on brand any where from $50-80 used or $100-140 new. we have all that in stock FYI this would also be an opportuity to upgrade to a superlace..same cost on the labor and you'd need circa $100 extra for beefy ss spokes and a better lace pattern
couple day turnaround
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-02-2008 at 08:03 AM
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #975
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

01 640LC-4 wheel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by randonee
Hello Woody,
I found out that there was some issue with my front wheel on a 2001 640 LC4e. A dealer said there was a service notice from KTM, and they installed some plastic ties on the LHS spokes on my front wheel. Since I found this out, I've been a bit unsettled about the condition of my front wheel. Do you have any recommendations. Should I get new spokes and/or rims? The dealer didn't know much about it, he said there was an issue w/ spokes breaking and perhaps wheel failure. I guess if there is any issue with it, I'd like get it fixed. Also, is there any known issue with the rear wheel? The dealer said the notice is just for the front.
Thank you very much for any info!
those wheels were eventually a warranty item,,,,came with excel rim and the lateer stronger hub and spokes,,,,the tie-tie fix where the spokes xrossed each other was a joke,,,actually it probably saved a life or two,,the spokes were snapping so often,,,,and the tie -tie trick comes from the enduro circuit to help keep broken spokes from getting tangled in your brakes and chain

if they don't honor the warranty which came about 3 years ago,,,we have several new and used wheels floating around or can even build you an even stronger than stock wheel,,,

woody

ps,,,the readers in orange crush or the thumper thread may remember the recall for you