Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #1036
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog
Bartron,

This thread has answers to some of your questions...like weight savings and cost.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=woodys

I have the 21" Excel/Superlight/Monster spoke setup for my HP2. Weight savings is significant (2.5 kilos?) and yes, there is a noticeable difference in handling. The front end is lighter, easier to loft up, but deflects easier off rocks or ruts. A 21" for your GSA would have two discs, and ABS rings, so the wheel would be a bit heavier. A steering damper would be nice to have, but not a requirement in my opinion. Other HP2 riders insist on a damper. I get head shakes at 100km/hr and above (on rutted and pot-holed roads) but very little on smooth dirt or gravel.

I find that the 21" wheel is slower to "heel over" in the tarmac twisties. Other people don't find it to be an issue. However, it isn't a big concern to me. I don't push the HP2 on tarmac, only in the dirt.

I've seen your ride pictures, and you might consider a tube front wheel (and rear wheel?). Deflating your tires to 12lbs would be an advantage when you take that beast on the trails and rocks. Of course, tubes and rim locks aren't as smooth on road trips.

I have found the wheels to be bomb-proof. I checked my front wheel for true (wobbles) this weekend; it might be out 2mm. No dents in the rim. I've got about 2200 miles on the set, 80% dirt and rocks, with lots of square-edge hits.

Side by side comparison. Difference in hub mass is considerable. Spokes are much thicker.
Thanks for the feedback Warthog (love the name). I had never considered going tubeless as the functionality of the tubeless seemed hard to pass up. I routinely run the fronts at 20-22psi off-road without trouble.

Given the suspension dynamics on the GS, i wonder if there is much of a benefit to saving that weight - especially if it will be twitchy. I don't mind more steering feedback but would want to avoid wrestling with the steering on anything lumpy. Hmm. Things to think about for sure.

I had seen the thread you linked to but IIRC the prices/set up was put up a while ago and I wasn't sure if those were still current.

Oh yeah, which width did you go with for your 21 and why?

Thanks again for the detailed response and the pics - sweet rig. I hope they'll bring the HP2 Enduro back one day.
B.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #1037
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
my 2 cents regarding the 640 rear wheel offset issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
Hi Woody.
I have a cush drive wheel that was fitted to my '05 640 Adventure during the '08 Australasian Safari. I am now setting up a 530 EXC-R as a Rallye bike for the '09 Australasian Safari and would like to use the cush drive wheel. To check if this works okay I got a friends 640 wheel and his 530 EXC-R and the wheel went in easy. No problem it seemed.

In measuring things up, we found that the sprocket offset from the bearing spacer differs by 2mm between the 530 standard wheel and the 640 wheel. (The distance from the outer flat surface of the sprocket side spacer to the outer surface of the sprocket was 7mm on the 530 wheel but 5mm on the 640 wheel. The sprocket thicknesses were very close at 5.8mm for the 640 and 6.55mm for the 530). We could have a spacer made with an extra 2mm meat on it for the sprocket side and machine 2mm off the spacer on the disk side. Then the entire wheel would be offset towards the rhs so we'd need to re-lace the rim so it came back into line with the front wheel - ie laced so the left bead edge is offset 2mm closer to the sprocket carrier.

Does it sound like this is correct? I've heard many people say that the 640 cush drive hubs just fit straight in with no mention of changing spacers or re-lacing the wheel to suit. Or is it okay for the rear sprocket to be 2mm out of line with the counter shaft sprocket? (We're using 2.5" rear rims, rather than standard 2.15" rims, to accommodate Michelin Desert Mousses).

Appreciate your words of wisdom.
Cheers
JayBo
hi,,personally ,,i don't think this is a big deal...we are talking about .080'' over one meter distance,,,your swingarm will flex that much

i'd be more concerned that the disc lines up perfectly centered in the caliper,,,moving the rim a bit can be easily accomplished by starting at the valve stem and loosening each nipple 1/2 turn on the side that you want to move away from and then tightening the other 18 nipples on the side you want the rim to move toward...one round like thi will probably do the trick,,,

OBTW,,your dirt bike or you won't evr REALLY know that you are .080'' of center
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #1038
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

help is on it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheldenbrand
Woody,

I have a set of 17's you made for a 990ADV. Will they fit a 690 SMC? I know there would be just one disc... but would this work?
i'm on my way to thailand and saigon,,to catchup with my son chris who's been cruisin gthrough southeast asia since last november...,PM'd Zach at the shop,,he'll help you

woody
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #1039
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's my penny for the thought re 21'' for GSs GSAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Thanks for the feedback Warthog (love the name). I had never considered going tubeless as the functionality of the tubeless seemed hard to pass up. I routinely run the fronts at 20-22psi off-road without trouble.

Given the suspension dynamics on the GS, i wonder if there is much of a benefit to saving that weight - especially if it will be twitchy. I don't mind more steering feedback but would want to avoid wrestling with the steering on anything lumpy. Hmm. Things to think about for sure.

I had seen the thread you linked to but IIRC the prices/set up was put up a while ago and I wasn't sure if those were still current.

Oh yeah, which width did you go with for your 21 and why?

Thanks again for the detailed response and the pics - sweet rig. I hope they'll bring the HP2 Enduro back one day.
B.
FYI...in your situation i'd go with 1.85x21'' rim configuration...it's more appropriate for street and dirt for your size bike,,,,we only go to the narrower 1.6 for competition use...

next...we can lace a x-lace tubeless wheel to your hub ala the gold riimmed wheel in the previous pics,,it is off an HP-2,,we can even anodize it black to match your rear...and it will work perfect your TXC-80s..i wouldn't run it much lower than 30psi namely because you have a heavy bike,,,i've heard of folks running 20 psi and lower...please don't come crying to me if you dent your rim or get pinch flats...

you'll be looking at circa $1k including tire mount and balanced on your old hub...the guys in the shop can talk to you and whip up an exact estimate

here's so emore feedback from a racer's point of view,,http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301724

and look up what fellow inmate ' yellow pig' has to say,,he wrote a very detailed thread with pics and ride report about his 21'' set-up on his 1150 GS,,,FYI,,,just buildt several 21'' for an 09GSA and a 1200GS used by several instructors at Rawhyde adventures california official BMW riding school,,,they'll submit feedback shortly

hope this helped..we have some demo wheels if you want to try one out,,,be forewarned,,you'll be hooked on the improvement

woody

PS..KUDOS to Warthog for chiming in and taking care of my lite work

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-25-2009 at 08:47 PM
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #1040
Airbornexts912
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
front wheel

My front wheel was off sence new from BMW. They use you I think. Santa Fe NM? They want me to wait to talk to the "BMW" guy when he comes by. Any ideas? How much to build me a wheel that is better than the stocker? E mail me at Atomlar1@msn.com O yea it is a 09 F800 GS
Airbornexts912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #1041
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I have a 1997 Aprilia Pegaso and would like to get an 18" wheel for the rear. I bought a rim and hub but the spoke pattern does not fit correctly i.e. if you lace one side up the spokes on the other side point left when they need to point right.

So what rim's would fit this hub/pattern (36 hole). I'm trying to buy 2nd hand but cannot see any popular rims that would fit - Yamaha XT rims for example have the opposite pattern.

Would this be a problem to buy new even? Honda Dominators have the same hub by the looks of them and a 17" rear wheel as standard as well if that helps, also should be the same as similar vintage BMW650's. (Funduro I think)

Thanks
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #1042
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Before the flames start, I did try to do a search for KLR front wheel in this forum, but the tools blew up on me.

I am interested in getting an 18" or 19" front wheel for my 2009 KLR650. I want a reasonable but affordable option for supermoto use and for mounting burly TKC80s for adventure touring.

But, I am not sure that I want to destroy having a 21" as well. I know that I could have my stock hub relaced to a 19" front rim.

Do you have (affordable to poor KLR folk) options for adding a new smaller diameter front for the new generation KLR? I guess all I need is what Bullfrog had done earlier in this thread.

BTW, you guys did an _awesome_ job repairing my friend Jeri's cast front wheel after she schwacked a major rock last summer. Unbelievable work.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien

bouldergeek screwed with this post 02-05-2009 at 11:27 AM
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #1043
woodysrookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wink

To determine what indexing is on the rim it's one or the other. A JAP index is when the two nipple holes on the same side point towards eachother, the nipple hole in the middle will be "pointing in the left direction. A EURO pattern is when that said nipple hole is pointing to the right. Whichever you have we can get the right one, just give us a call at 303-936-0232 or give me a picture and i can help you out better. Thanks Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr
I have a 1997 Aprilia Pegaso and would like to get an 18" wheel for the rear. I bought a rim and hub but the spoke pattern does not fit correctly i.e. if you lace one side up the spokes on the other side point left when they need to point right.

So what rim's would fit this hub/pattern (36 hole). I'm trying to buy 2nd hand but cannot see any popular rims that would fit - Yamaha XT rims for example have the opposite pattern.

Would this be a problem to buy new even? Honda Dominators have the same hub by the looks of them and a 17" rear wheel as standard as well if that helps, also should be the same as similar vintage BMW650's. (Funduro I think)

Thanks
woodysrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #1044
woodysrookie
Adventurer

We have plenty of budget options for most wheel builds, to make it better and easier to get tires i would suggest going with a 19'' front wheel for yours. Doesn't affect the geometry much and makes it handle much better than the 18''. call us at 303-936-0232 and we can go over options. Thanks Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
Before the flames start, I did try to do a search for KLR front wheel in this forum, but the tools blew up on me.

I am interested in getting an 18" or 19" front wheel for my 2009 KLR650. I want a reasonable but affordable option for supermoto use and for mounting burly TKC80s for adventure touring.

But, I am not sure that I want to destroy having a 21" as well. I know that I could have my stock hub relaced to a 19" front rim.

Do you have (affordable to poor KLR folk) options for adding a new smaller diameter front for the new generation KLR? I guess all I need is what Bullfrog had done earlier in this thread.

BTW, you guys did an _awesome_ job repairing my friend Jeri's cast front wheel after she schwacked a major rock last summer. Unbelievable work.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #1045
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
What bikes (and/or models) may have used rims like this - CCM, Husqavana, BMW? But I guess I need a rim designed for a large hub - I guess enduro rims are out? (would it not lace up properly or be too weak?) I'm still trying to look for 2nd hand ones (in the UK).. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysrookie
To determine what indexing is on the rim it's one or the other. A JAP index is when the two nipple holes on the same side point towards eachother, the nipple hole in the middle will be "pointing in the left direction. A EURO pattern is when that said nipple hole is pointing to the right. Whichever you have we can get the right one, just give us a call at 303-936-0232 or give me a picture and i can help you out better. Thanks Zach
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #1046
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Oddometer: 444
Drz400sm

Zach/Woody/Chris
I just picked up a 05 Drz400SM. What is the cost to build a set of bomb proof 19/17 dual sport wheels for it?

Thanks
Wreck
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Wreckluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #1047
woodysrookie
Adventurer

Drz wheels!

I sent you a pm on this. Thanks Zach
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #1048
GS Weaver
idiot

Oddometer: 739
Hi Woody,

I just shipped my GS wheel to you guys today, but I have a few questions about my 1996 Suzuki RMX250 wheels.

I am looking to have them rebuilt with new spokes and black excel rims. First, the rear is available in 18x1.85 or 18x2.15. What is the advantage of going with the larger size? I'm assuming it will flatten out the tire allowing for more contact patch...am I in the ballpark?

Also, if possible, would you be able to PM a quote for the above work? Finally, would I be able to ship you just the hubs, or do I have to send out the entire wheelset?

Thanks!
1984 XR250, 1981 & 1986 XR80, 1997 and 2003 XR650L, 1992 DR350, 1995 DR350S 1975 CB125S, 1997 & 2003 CBR1100, 2006 R1150GS, 1989 XR600, 1993 RT100, 1984 VT700, CT90, 2006 Zuma 50cc, Currently: 2012 Versys
GS Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #1049
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

96 Suzuki RMX-250 wheel rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Weaver
Hi Woody,

I just shipped my GS wheel to you guys today, but I have a few questions about my 1996 Suzuki RMX250 wheels.

I am looking to have them rebuilt with new spokes and black excel rims. First, the rear is available in 18x1.85 or 18x2.15. What is the advantage of going with the larger size? I'm assuming it will flatten out the tire allowing for more contact patch...am I in the ballpark?

Also, if possible, would you be able to PM a quote for the above work? Finally, would I be able to ship you just the hubs, or do I have to send out the entire wheelset?

Thanks!
hi ,,just got back from the great southeast asia trip....now there's a ride report...
what you need to know is that the slightly wider rear rim ie 2.15x18 will provide a better contact patch for the optimal tire sizes that you'll be mounting,,,

FYI,,,tire changing will also be abit easier

we prefer that you send wheels complete to check for proper offset and check the general condition of the wheel assembly.

prices depending on what we do and what rims we /spokes/ we use can run run from $500-700 depending,,,call toll free to discuss the options,,it's easier and faster than PMing

we usually have lot's of new and/or good used stuff to match any of your needs/budgets,,woody

PS,,when we get your stuff we ALWAYS inspect it and call with an analysis/suggestions/quote .. ie BWOE,,,your bearings are shot,,would ya like us to replace them,,,you should really re-paint/powdercoat this hub etc,etc
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #1050
Megathumper
+

Oddometer: 837
HP2 Megamoto rims?

Hi Woody,

What can we do for a spoke wheel conversion for a HP2 Megamoto, change 17" front to 19" and leave rear at 17". We have a lot of it in Aust and wish to do gravel/dirt road riding. Iwould imagine similar to a HP2 Enduro setup except front has twin brake disks.
Megathumper is offline   Reply With Quote