User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
Voidrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Honda Elite 150 - Parts?

Well, my wife is having a blast commuting on her scooter. All is mostly well.

The problem we have run into is that in a gravel parking lot at nearly 0 mph my wife had a screw up and dropped the bike on the right side. No damage to speak of except for the right rear turn signal lens unit popping out of the housing. It apparently snapped the attachment tabs. In a momentary lapse of reason (she was a little shook up and upset at dropping her baby), she put the lens unit back into the housing. It didn't make it home with the rest of the bike. We searched the route she took several times that same day, but that lens unit is gone.

Been checking e-bay, no luck so far. Any good places to look for pieces parts? Are there any scooter specific forums you folk know that might be a good place to look?

Barring this incident, she has been having a great time, really enjoys it, and we are saving a lot of money on fuel compared to running the Subaru around town. It was fun to fuel up and take less than 2 gallons!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
mercurial
Fully Automatic

Oddometer: 37
Tried Honda????
Old 06-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
I40Kager
a nobody in a huge world

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider
the right rear turn signal lens unit popping out of the housing. It apparently snapped the attachment tabs.

I ordered my new lens from a Honda dealer.
Only took 3 days , and only $12 each. Cheap !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAnonymous
You fuckers need to stop getting in accidents.
I40Kager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Voidrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Whoaw! Okay guys! You've come though.

Hell, with a 20 year old scooter we were afraid we'd be scrounging ebay and scrapyards for parts! Right ON!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
Also try BikeBandit.com, the usually have it all in stock. Great source.
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 56
Eh?

I just got an Elite 150 not too long ago. I am having a hell of a time trying to change the rear tire. Anyone got tips on how to get the exhaust mani off?
LibraLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,981
Do you need to?

Can you pull the airbox on the LH side?
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLabRat
I just got an Elite 150 not too long ago. I am having a hell of a time trying to change the rear tire. Anyone got tips on how to get the exhaust mani off?
Use a long extension with a socket. It will fit in to access the difficult header nut.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
jmaotto
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Elite 150 85 model

Having trouble with my Elite 150. It will run strong then acts like it is out of gas. I have disconnected the gas line and then cranked it with the stater and a generous supply of gas pured out. The only filter I know of is the screen inside the tank. Up till now it has run great. Any ideas will be appreciated.
jmaotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
There's a good chance that it is the choke sensor. Look for a small cylinder with two wires entering the END of it. That's the choke sensor. make sure the wires a connected solidly. Jim & Don at Scooter Source Inc. had to replace mine because it was doing the same thing before I bought the bike from them. It's not uncommon to have the choke issue with them.

Your local Honda dealer can order the part for you.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Quote:
Make sure that you get NEW exhaust gaskets for the HONDA ELITE 150 from Honda when you remount the exhaust assembly.
Get the assembly lined up so the exhaust pipe is flush against the exhaust gasket in the exhaust manifold (have someone help you hold it in place), and attach the nuts at the exhaust header FIRST. You can feel when the exhaust is flat against the gasket and the gasket is flat against the manifold. {The original nuts were not on mine and the PO had used two washers and a lock washer on each stud - make sure you use LOCK washers, okay?)
Then ( after making sure the plastic gravel shield is on correctly right over the rear wheel) install the 3 bolts that hold the muffler assembly on. If you don't get it on right, then you must try it again with another new exhaust gasket (they're cheap - don't worry too much about it!).

It's doable, by the time I found out that I could not:
1. re-use exhaust gaskets
2. use Honda exhaust gaskets that were 'close' to the right size - but still not the right part number
3. just casually align the pipe in the manifold when putting it back on
--I had put mine exhaust on at least 6 times more then necessary - it's fine now. Learn from my experience!

"

brockster screwed with this post 06-24-2006 at 09:48 PM
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

Question

So where can I find the part number for gaskets? And is this some sort of planned obsolescence that I cannot change a tire without changing the freakin gasket or what?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

If you owned a dealership that sold Japanese motorcycles, would you have a large stock of parts on hand for a 21-year-old scooter?

Since it sounded like you were going the route of taking the exhaust assembly off, my advice was meant to help you with the reassembly of the exhaust. Trust me, you don't want to do it 5 or 6 times.

Scooter Source Inc. installed two new tires on my Elite right before I bought it from them. One can change the spare on a Vespa by the side of the road due to the convienence of it's spilt rims, the Elite rear tires are a larger PITA to change. More disassembly is required, as you are finding out! Consider purchasing a service manual - I'm looking for one also on eBay.

For the record, any competent parts jockey at a dealership can find the part number on their parts CDs or microfiche.

When calling about parts, just tell them the year, model, and what part you're looking for-they should be able to find it without the part number.

If your headlight flips up, you have the Elite which is the CH150D. If your headlight is mounted on the handelber fairing, the scooter model is the CH150. The D stands for 'Deluxe', which means there are more parts to fail on your scooter - namely the digital dash (in which the sun hammers the LCDs into submission) and the flip-up headlight assembly (which is in perma-up mode on mine).

The part number for the exhaust gasket for my '85 CH150D is: 18291-KV8-680. After 'QTY 1', the little bag also says: H5K26, if they need that number.

"

brockster screwed with this post 04-05-2007 at 04:18 PM
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

Still the tire.......

Well, I got the old tire off, got the new tire on, but cannot get the bead set. I have tried using a rachet strap and am getting ever nearer to taking the thing to a shop and letting them deal with it. It just feels so embarrassing that I cannot change a tire on my own.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Well, I got the old tire off, got the new tire on, but cannot get the bead set. I have tried using a rachet strap and am getting ever nearer to taking the thing to a shop and letting them deal with it. It just feels so embarrassing that I cannot change a tire on my own.
I just replaced both tires on my CH80. It was definitely not easy. One went on fine, no real fuss, and the bead set with just a hand pump. However, the other was like you describe, just would not set, even using the compressor at the gas station, ratchet straps, etc. I finally switched the tires (took both back off, moved front --> rear and vice versa), and in the end both set just fine. I'm not sure what I did or did not do, but it was a royal pain and in the end I felt like I'd saved a few dollars but spent an awful lot of time doing it.

I also greased the recalcitrant bead up pretty good with KY jelly (doesn't everyone have a container on their workbench? ) and that seemed to help a lot. (Proper tire lube is probably better, but the smallest size at NAPA was a gallon, which would take me centuries to use up.)

Good luck.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote