Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #16
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLabRat
Well, I got the old tire off, got the new tire on, but cannot get the bead set. I have tried using a rachet strap and am getting ever nearer to taking the thing to a shop and letting them deal with it. It just feels so embarrassing that I cannot change a tire on my own.
What you need to do is put a tube in it(while the tire is off the rim), blow it up like a ballon and let it sit overnight. Then it will mount on the rim.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #17
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 56
Well, I have tried WD 40 which I use for everything except for a dessert topping...I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I have used the meantime to bore out the exhaust, and I am in the process of stripping the faded red body panels. I am going to do them in gloss black, although I may just leave the back panels off after I come up with a way to mount the rear turn signals.

Anyway, if anyone has a trick or some homemade tool to get that tire on, I am all ears. I have an offer on the Oklahoma city craigslist under motorcycles that I am more than willing to honor for the tip that gets the tire on....
LibraLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #18
Motomech

I just told you how to mount the tire.
Gezzz, some people are hard to help.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
cstandefer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello all!

I just recently got myself an 87 150elite and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I found this website in searching for parts. You guys have been great, thanks for the help. I hit a javalina (wild boar) going 40 mph through a turn the other night and it knocked off my front left plastic shield for break casing (was hard to tell what that thing is actually for)? Miss Piggy then proceeded in cracking my left body panel in the rear so it hangs loose and i lost my taillight covers completely completely. No wreck and the pig and its children seemed to make it accross the road safely!

Once again thanks for the info!

cstandefer screwed with this post 07-24-2006 at 05:10 PM
cstandefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstandefer
...I hit a javalina (wild boar) going 40 mph through a turn the other night...
Got pics?

You can find bodywork on eBay occasionally, even for that one year body style.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #21
cstandefer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster
Got pics?
It has all been epoxied/duct-taped back in under the body where the fastener holes were cracked off. I guess i will compare prices from ebay and that website mentioned a few posts back. I think the only thing im going to replace is the rear left light cover, the rear left cover, and the plastic shield on the front wheel that says Honda on it. I was able to epoxy most of the rear left light cover and the license plate light cover back together. Should run me just short of 200 bucks?
cstandefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #22
nsx1pete
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pissed ch150 tire change

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLabRat
I just got an Elite 150 not too long ago. I am having a hell of a time trying to change the rear tire. Anyone got tips on how to get the exhaust mani off?
try heating the tire up with a torpedo heater and it will go on much easier
nsx1pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #23
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

I have finally gotten both tires fixed, and all sorts of other odds and ends replaced. IT was a lot easier once I realized that it didnt have to be pretty, as long as it worked and it was safe. As a matter of fact, when I was putting the clutch cover back on, I broke off the one remaining bolt I had...so I simply drilled some new pilot holes, and bolted it back on.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
LibraLabRat
Rat Rider

Ridin Durty

I got my scooter fully up and running. One thing..my old heat shield on the muffler was about rusted through and clanking, so I took it off. The muffler is fine. Now, I am worried that the rear tire is going to get too hot with constant riding. Is this a legit concern? I took off all the useless plastic body panels, and reworked the turn signals. It runs awesome. I am trying to figure out everywhere it is rattling and squeaking so as to make it run quieter.

The guys at my local tire shop are more than happy to put new tires on rims for me, since I give them so much business in rubber on my cars. Besides, it showed them that their big tire reseater worked on small tires, and now they do business in motorcycle and scooter tires.

Unfortunately, most of the scooters turning up out here are Lifan POSs....
Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #25
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

If you smell something like buring rubber after you've parked the Elite, that means it is time to replace your exhaust gasket. The exhaust is leaking where the tailpipe joins the block and it is heating the right sidewall up. The gasket is a $4 part, and you just have to take the exhaust assembly off to get to it. It's a pain if you do not seat the gasket correctly (and get the exhasut aligned against it) because the gasket are NOT reusable. I've tried.

"

Old 03-10-2007, 06:19 AM   #26
Motomech

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster
If you smell something like buring rubber after you've parked the Elite, that means it is time to replace your exhaust gasket. The exhaust is leaking where the tailpipe joins the block and it is heating the right sidewall up. The gasket is a $4 part, and you just have to take the exhaust assembly off to get to it. It's a pain if you do not seat the gasket correctly (and get the exhasut aligned against it) because the gasket are NOT reusable. I've tried.
The way I used to remount the mufflers was to stack the new gasket on top of the old one and compress them together. That way, if for some reason there is no new gasket available the next time it's off, it can be remounted without a leak. Eventually, the carbon builds up enough that new gaskets become optional.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Unfortunately, that will not work on my Elite 150. I also had the brainfart of getting an identically sized washer (as the exhaust gasket) in order to use that steel washer as a permanent gasket.

That didn't work either.

Maybe a softer metal (copper gasket?) would compress more and therefore seal better, but my scooter needs other repairs. So I volunteer someone else to do that experiment.

"

Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #28
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
What's the number designation for my engine?

Anyone know the number designation (i.e. GY6, etc.) for the 150cc engine in my '87 Honda Elite 150 (CH150)?

Thanks,
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #29
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Its a CH150. It doesn't have a number like GY6, thats a chinese thing.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Elite CH150 engine designator/code/name

I'm looking for the engine designator.

Mazda RX-7's used to come with two available engines. One was called the 12A engine (carbureted), and the other was called the 13B engine (fuel injected). My old Toyota Celica engine was known as a 20R motor.

Honda (and probably all the other motorcycle manufacturers) have similar alpha-numeric designators for their engines. The GY6 line of Honda engines were all single-cylinder, 2-valve engines, air or oil cooled, and they came in 50cc, 125cc and 150cc sizes. The ones that I've seen all seem to have an almost horizontal cylinder, and of course their crankshaft spins a CVT transmission. The cylinder on the engines I've seen are finned.

My engine sits nearly vertical on the swingarm, the cylinder has no fins (it's water-cooled) and it's 150cc. It too runs through a CVT. Again, my bike is an '87 Elite CH150.

What I'm looking for is the engine designator number/code, so that I can look up some specific performance mods and parts. I'm having no luck just Googling "CH150 engine", or "Elite 150 engine".

So is my engine called a K7L engine, or a H1N1 engine, or what? Anyone know?

Thanks,
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote