Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #166
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf
I found a 2007 Red GT1000 left over no miles and full warranty from dealer for $8700. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Also, will the tires need to be replaced since the bike has been sitting for 2 years never being ridden?
Sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not in the market, so that doesn't mean you can't do better.

Two years is fine on tires, especially for a bike that has been presumably sitting indoors or perhaps even in a crate. I'd want a fresh battery though.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #167
101N
peccavi

Oddometer: 1,831
Also find out if the gas tank issue mentioned above pertains to this model.
101N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #168
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I wonder if i requested to have all the fluids changed, battery, and check for recalls etc... if would hamper my negotiating a price.
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #169
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wonder if i requested to have all the fluids changed, battery, and check for recalls etc... if would hamper my negotiating a price.
Certainly checking for recalls should be done and most dealers would do this as a matter of course.

I wouldn't worry much about fluids, especially if the bike has never been fueled or started. New oil doesn't deteriorate sitting in the crankcase of an unstarted bike and I don't think 2-yo brake fluid in an new bike is something to bother with. But if the bike has been sitting fueled, I'd be slightly concerned about clogged up fuel systems with old fuel, although FI is a lot more tolerant than carbs. If it runs and idles fine, it's probably Okay.

You do have to accept some compromises in return for a good price on a NOS bike. You can ask for anything, but if you start insisting on everything being changed out as a precaution, you might as well bite the bullet and get a current model and let someone else who isn't worried that much about this stuff buy the older bike.

- Mark
Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #170
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

I am more concerned with the price. I can take care of all the fluids on my own. However, I really want to get a good deal, especially in this economy. I just hope $8700 is not to much, I am sure once I get there I will get hit with setup fees, doc fees, setup etc... But I will have to play the 2 year old bike on the floor card.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #171
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am more concerned with the price. I can take care of all the fluids on my own. However, I really want to get a good deal, especially in this economy. I just hope $8700 is not to much, I am sure once I get there I will get hit with setup fees, doc fees, setup etc... But I will have to play the 2 year old bike on the floor card.
Well, until you know the extra fees they may tack on (which are completely arbitrary), you really don't know much about the deal. Given that a new one is $11.5K MSRP, certainly a $2800 discount sounds very attractive, perhaps even unrealistic unless there are factory incentives in place to move the old stock.

- Mark
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #172
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
factory incentives - Mark
Thats the word right there. 2800 out of 11500 is approx 24% which is not unheard of.

I got my leftover 06 FZ6 in 07 for 5599 over the 6799 MSRP which is almost an 18% discount. As vehicles get older, manufacturers give even bigger rebates to the dealer to clear stock & if the dealer is sensible enough, he will pass on those savings to the customer.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #173
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Some issues that concern me with the GT1000:

Gas Tank spreading (Has it happened to yours?)
Pealing/Pitting Chrome of Rims, Spokes, and Forks (Has it happened to yours?)
Also does anyone know if the Solo seat with cowl from the Sport GT1000 will fit the regular GT1000? I am thinking yes, since both bikes share the same frame. But would like to know for sure. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #174
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Some issues that concern me with the GT1000:

Gas Tank spreading (Has it happened to yours?)
Pealing/Pitting Chrome of Rims, Spokes, and Forks (Has it happened to yours?)
Also does anyone know if the Solo seat with cowl from the Sport GT1000 will fit the regular GT1000? I am thinking yes, since both bikes share the same frame. But would like to know for sure. Thanks
golf, go here http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77 and check the sticky threads - well more than half of the bikes there are reporting the tank problem; however, Ducati seems to be covering most of these even out of warranty.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #175
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah I was reading on Ducati.ms on all the issues that may arise with this bike. I would like to know if any Advrider members have any of these issues. The tank issue i see is covered by Ducati, but the chrome issue has not been discussed much.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #176
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

All bikes have "issues". The deal breaker for me on this bike would be the tubed tires.

- Mark
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #177
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
All bikes have "issues". The deal breaker for me on this bike would be the tubed tires.

- Mark
Whats the big deal about tube tires?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #178
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Whats the big deal about tube tires?
You ever tried to dismount and patch the tube for a 180/55-17 tire on the side of the road? With tubeless, you plug and go.

Tubeless is much safer too as they don't debead on a sudden flat.

- Mark
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #179
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You ever tried to dismount and patch the tube for a 180/55-17 tire on the side of the road? With tubeless, you plug and go.

Tubeless is much safer too as they don't debead on a sudden flat.

- Mark
I have never changed a tire tube or tubeless, so I am not aware of the inconvenience of tubes. Is it safe to take tubed tires to the track? I guess with the money I would be saving on this bike I could always spend the $1000 and buy some nice aluminum tubeless tires if the original become a problem.

Its funny, most of my favorite bikes have tube tires (F800GS, Thruxton, and KLR)
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #180
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have never changed a tire tube or tubeless, so I am not aware of the inconvenience of tubes. Is it safe to take tubed tires to the track? I guess with the money I would be saving on this bike I could always spend the $1000 and buy some nice aluminum tubeless tires if the original become a problem.
Tubes are fine at the track. The safety angle is that tubeless is much more forgiving if you have a puncture, whether track or road. That doesn't mean a tube is "unsafe", just "less safe."

I'm not aware of any cast wheel options for the GT1000. If there are any, they're going to be expensive and sorta work against the retro look.

Quote:
Its funny, most of my favorite bikes have tube tires (F800GS, Thruxton, and KLR)
Retro and dirt bikes tend to have tubes because of the spoke wheels. (BMW is one of the few which have a spoked tubeless option, although it's on the big GS, not on the F800GS, which is unfortunate.)

In a dirt bike, I view tubes as a necessary evil that one can live with. The tire sizes are smaller, wheels are generally easier to get on/off the bike, carrying tools and tire irons on trail rides is not that big a deal, you're typically closer to home base, and there are certain punctures, particularly rock punctures and tears, which are patchable on a tubed tire which would not be patchable on a tubeless. And many dirt bikes have 21" front wheels and I'm not aware of any 21" tubeless wheels.

On a road-bike retro that I'm going to travel with (like the GT1000), tubes are a deal breaker, but that's just me. If you're willing to "risk it" and call your buddy with a pickup when you have a flat or rely on AAA, then that will work. Or you can get serious and carry the tools, tire irons, spare tubes, etc. and learn how to get REALLY dirty on the side of the road. Tubes on a big road bike CAN be repaired on the side of the road, but I just don't want to.

And to be fair, not every puncture in a tubeless can be fixed. But I've had perhaps twenty in my career and have never been stranded yet.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 01:36 PM