Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #181
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I have read people have had success sealing spoke wheels to allow for tubeless tires. However, I can not find any documentation on how to do this.
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #182
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf
I have read people have had success sealing spoke wheels to allow for tubeless tires. However, I can not find any documentation on how to do this.
People do it and some report good results - I wouldn't trust it long term. I believe some of the wheel builders offer it. Some of the 950/990 guys have done it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #183
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
I dont think its the sealing that is the deal breaker.Tubeless rims have a shape which helps retain the tyre in place should the air escape.Non tubeless rims may not have that feature.Perhaps you could get new tubeless rims laced up to the exisiting hubs?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #184
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
I think that the price they are offering it at is fair. WHat I would negotiate with them on are to throw in the 600 & 6000 mile checkup for that price. This ensures that they are not trying to make up what they didn't make on the sell. Plus it is something that lots of dealers have ahigh markup on so to do this for you can be a significant savings while not costing them much... win/win. Also negotiate in a % discount for all of the Ducati crap you will invariably buy.

I'd be asking about them being able to tune an exhaust with the standard ECU of if you have to get a big bucks Ducati racing one to make a pipe work correctly.

They want to get it offof the floor, you want to get it set up right..
Heck I think I'd tell them I'd give them $9500-10,000 but you and an exhaust that is tuned, the 600 & 6000 mile service included and a %20 discount on all accessories for the first year..

They DEFINITLY NEED TO CHANGE the Timing belts before the bike is run at all! there is a 2 year change out n them regardless of miles. They are rubber, the rubber dries out and is worse when sitting without rolling over occassionally...... you ride it the crack and the valves start banging pistons.

I would not be worrying about tubeless tires if this bike stirs your soul. If I was on a long trip then I'd carry a spare tube with me that coud be inserted if needed.
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #185
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thanks for the great info, especially the timing belts. Regarding the exhaust, are you saying throw in a new exhaust and have it tuned., along with the next 2 services? Thanks
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #186
Rich Dubbya
Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
My buddy of mine had his sealed . Want to say it was Buchanan's .
Rich Dubbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #187
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Old news, but sad news.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #188
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Eh? Tank "Spread"

After much research I went to the Ducati dealer today and just asked....

"Hi, Im down to my shortlist of a triumph scrambler and a gt1000. Why should I spend $12,000 on a new GT1000 or any price on a used one, when they come with an inherent factory flaw, where a recorded %70 of them have tanks that spread from ethanol in the fuel? Regardless that Ducati most often honors a replacement tank, though it's an identical tank that can do it again. "

I was honestly curious and thought he'd have some sort of a good sales driven response. He said......... "I don't know what to tell ya man. Triumphs are cool bikes"

What?! At least he was honest

He did say that they've started coating the insides of the replacement tanks w/ some sort of liner that they're hoping prevents it. Though it's $250 bucks. I asked if they could line the tank of a new bike. He called someone and said yes, but if it's had fuel in it they'd need a week to fully clear the tank of prior fuel traces before adding the liner.

It's a step in the right direction, but I'm still seriously disappointed. I can justify ALOT of otherwise not so great idea's but, dropping that amount of coin on a bike with that type of issue is a tough one to swallow.

Thoughts? Anyone heard news? This is borderline deal breaker for me and it really bums me out.

Here's pics because we all love pics

Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #189
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Thoughts? Anyone heard news? This is borderline deal breaker for me and it really bums me out.

a well documented problem, and one that you can read a lot more about at Ducati.ms.

a real shame as they're beautiful motorcycles. the suspensions on those bikes are subpar, but they sure are pretty in my eyes.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #190
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez
a well documented problem, and one that you can read a lot more about at Ducati.ms.

a real shame as they're beautiful motorcycles. the suspensions on those bikes are subpar, but they sure are pretty in my eyes.

Ducati MS is where I got the numbers for the amount of owners that were experiencing the problem I had no idea it was that common. The dealer I went to today had 2 used ones out front for sale (one was sugar ray leynards... random) And one was on it's 2nd tank and it had already happened again (bad, you could almost lift the whole tank off) and the other's right side could be pulled up almost 2 inches. I keep saying what a deal breaker it is, then I look at more pics of it and soften up Damn bike.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #191
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
That was a deal breaker for me, too. Not to mention that I think the bike is really not well proportioned. The tank is just HUGE.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #192
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
That was a deal breaker for me, too. Not to mention that I think the bike is really not well proportioned. The tank is just HUGE.
True, but my biggest issue with the styling is the HUGE air gap above the rear wheel
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #193
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Im down to my shortlist of a triumph scrambler and a gt1000.
If you have not already, make sure you get a test ride on a Scrambler first.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #194
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
True, but my biggest issue with the styling is the HUGE air gap above the rear wheel
Funny, I love that rear gap Im not know for good taste though
Im gonna head over to a trump dealer this afternoon and plant my ass on a scrambler. I had an 07 bonnie black for a year before I let her go..... which was the one bike sale I've done thus far that I still regret
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #195
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
15,000+ miles, no problems, FWIW

My understanding is that the tank issue is due to gas with ethanol (sorry if that was mentioned earlier, didn't want to go through the entire thread). FWIW, I've got almost 16,000 miles on my GT since I got it last year, and while it did have small degree of tank spread when I got it, a simple shim with a few washers resolved the issue without any furrther spreading. I'm in Ohio, where ethanol isn't so common, so perhaps that's why. At any rate, I've ridden the bike around town, up to Lake Placid, NY, and through countless twisty back roads throughout central and SE Ohio. Love the bike, and not a single mechanical issue so far. Of course, mine IS red, which is not only the fastest, but I believe the most reliable color.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote