Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Hybridchemistry OP

Oddometer: 281
DeWalt Cordless replacement batteries?

About a year ago I picked up a fairly new DeWalt drill that uses an 18v XR2 DW9095 battery. Unfortunately for me, the deal was not as good as I had thought and the battery is basically crap and dead.

Are there any reputable re builders out there? Is buying an eBay off brand battery worth it? Some are pretty damn cheap, about half the price of the DeWalt brand.
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I've had 6 or 8 rebuilt and 4 of those with "high capacity" cells and I should have just bought new Dewalt factory batteries and been done with it. The guy that rebuilt mine sells a lot of batteries on fleabay.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,844
I had my local batteries plus rebuild mine.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/2009/...ery-packs.html
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,936
ive used batteries plus as well. works great for almost but not quite half the price of new.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
I used Interstate Batteries. I think they charged me about 30 bucks a battery, but mine were 12V, so 18V would be more. The batteries they built work fine, but i just did it two months ago, so I'm not sure I can comment on longevity. I opted to rebuild because the 12V dewalt stuff is falling out of favor, and as such, the branded battery packs are crazy expensive. Like 70 bucks a battery. Considering you can get an 18V drill kit for $99 on sale, I didn't want to pay retail for the branded ones.

I also just took a dive into the DIY rebuild process this weekend. I bought the sub-C cells on fleabay and soldered 'em up. So far, it is working fine. It took way longer than expected, so if your time is worth money to you, just pay someone else to do it. Now that I've done one though, I feel like I could knock out another one faster.

couple tips on self-rebuilding:
-there are different sizes of sub-c batteries, make sure you get something that fits

-I bought sub-Cs with the soldering tabs, thinking that would help make sure I didn't cook any batteries with the soldering iron, but they turned out to be a pain. if you point the tab in the right direction for soldering the top, the bottom tab is generally pointed the wrong way. so you end up folding them and such. Also, if you're not careful, while you're messing around, the tabs make contact, short out and get red hot VERY fast.

-per above, I would buy plain sub-C cells and a packet of soldering tabs separately, and take my chances with the iron heating up the cells.

-some dewalt cells are glued together. i have not had luck separating these for rebuild without trashing them. Other packs are held together with screws.

-lots of rebuild videos on youtube.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
I had the same situation with my own DeWalt drill, only one good battery left, and decided to go to lithium battery tools, mostly because I use my drill infrequently and often when I needed it the nicad battery has self discharged, a royal PITA waiting on the charger. Self discharge is minimal w/ lithium power tool batteries and they are waay lighter too.
Anyway, worth a thought because if you can catch a good sale you can often buy a drill (or other tool) w/ a lithium battery and charger for not much more than a battery alone.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Hybridchemistry OP

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
I had the same situation with my own DeWalt drill, only one good battery left, and decided to go to lithium battery tools, mostly because I use my drill infrequently and often when I needed it the nicad battery has self discharged, a royal PITA waiting on the charger. Self discharge is minimal w/ lithium power tool batteries and they are waay lighter too.
Anyway, worth a thought because if you can catch a good sale you can often buy a drill (or other tool) w/ a lithium battery and charger for not much more than a battery alone.
I've barely gotten any use out of this one :(
I hear what you're saying though about battery drain.

Speaking of which, is it okay to leave batteries constantly on the stock charger? I assume it's fairly smart as to only charge when the battery needs it, but then again, if it doesn't they can just sell you a new battery. :|
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
I would go to new tools with Lithium Ion. I really like my Bosch drill and driver. Also Ryobis 18v Lithiums work in their old Nicad tools so I have a mix of those that I also like. The Lithiums are lighter and last a lot longer than Nicads.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
I had good luck putting new cells in a Crafstman drill pack myself.

Once those finally died, the drill was pretty beat anyway.

I sprung for a full set of Milwaukie LiFe stuff, including the brushless drill.

Pricey, but the stuff has been great.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
ShenandoahRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Definitely do not leave them on the charger. I made that mistake; it seriously reduces battery life. Mine were 18V Dewalts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ShenandoahRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I have both lithium and the older nickel batteries. For batteries that have to perform in hot or cold conditions, nickel is my preference.

Pay attention to the amp-hour rating of the battery as well. That is what determines how many screws that the beast will drive.

I was one of the first on a jobsite with an impact driver [14.4 volt] from Makita. The guy with his big 18 volt DeWalt laughed at me as we were driving 12" timber screws into a log cabin.

My Makita made that Dewalt its bitch that day both in speed and endurance--but the impact had a lot to do with it. . If I had to choose between my 18 volt Porter Cable and the 14.4 volt Makita for an all arounder,the Porter wins . Both of these tools feature a metal hanging clip that will hang right off the edge of a tool pocket. After using various holsters that suck,the little clip is the make or break feature for any drill driver IMO

BTW that little jewel will take screws out of motorcycle cases without breaking or stripping them better than anything else that I have seen. A perfect amount of torque without being "too much" .
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 349
I bought some new no-name batteries off of eBay for my DeWalt drill and they worked totally fine.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,918
I sent a few out to some guy on fleabay and they didn't last very long. Now I just buy Dewalt oem stuff in the double blister pack. I use them a lot and they last.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,171
If you only use it irregularly, definitely go lithium, no contest. I've lost more batts from just sitting than anything else. Lithium has a very low self-discharge rate and saves me money.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote