ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Radiator Guard

I've tried searches but as usual end up with 500 threads that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for so....

Has anyone swapped out the stock radiator guard on a 950/990 adventure for the KTM hard parts screen type guard and had any dramatic results running cooler?

I'm looking to run cooler in traffic situations and cool down a little faster coming out of slow speed stuff. I's not a big problem so I don't want to jump into major fixes like a second fan.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
There are several different radiator guards out there and the cooling obviously varies. There was one available that was made from a fine mesh of wires that I have heard was an improvement on cooling. There is another with slightly thicker slats that has good protection but does not flow as much air. My solution was to take the stock plastic wind diverter and cut out most of the fins. I kept the central spar and 1 or two on the sides and then I covered this over with 1/4" square wire mesh. Flows a lot of air and protects the radiator and it didn't cost anything. Its simple but it works well....though it does not have the bling look of the fancier units.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
There are several different radiator guards out there and the cooling obviously varies. There was one available that was made from a fine mesh of wires that I have heard was an improvement on cooling. There is another with slightly thicker slats that has good protection but does not flow as much air. My solution was to take the stock plastic wind diverter and cut out most of the fins. I kept the central spar and 1 or two on the sides and then I covered this over with 1/4" square wire mesh. Flows a lot of air and protects the radiator and it didn't cost anything. Its simple but it works well....though it does not have the bling look of the fancier units.
You say it was a solution so I assume you experienced a positive cooling effect like I am looking for.

I'm not concerned with looks (I have highway pegs on my tank guards) but I have a bug problem too. The stock slats do collect a lot of the gnat splatter...not sure about 1/4" mesh though.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 568
any link to buy one for SE?
THANX

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca
any link to buy one for SE?
THANX
Didn't see one specifically...here's what I'm looking at.

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore...ture_parts.htm

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore...0035040100.jpg

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease

yes but unfortunatly it is different the one on SE...have you seen my pic?

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
I've tried searches but as usual end up with 500 threads that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for so....

Has anyone swapped out the stock radiator guard on a 950/990 adventure for the KTM hard parts screen type guard and had any dramatic results running cooler?

I'm looking to run cooler in traffic situations and cool down a little faster coming out of slow speed stuff. I's not a big problem so I don't want to jump into major fixes like a second fan.
Short answer: NO, it does not run (noticeably) cooler.

Long answer:
I swapped my OEM radiator guard with the KTM Hard Parts exactly for what you describe... to help the engine run cooler in our HOT tropical heat, in traffic and especially in slow moving off road situations... The fan seems to turn on as fast as with the OEM radiator guard on... I think the bike does not like to go slow, so I might just have to become a better rider

Since every-day 100F + temps are totally normal here, I'm considering hooking up a second fan that I'd switch on manually whenever I consider is needed.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Hi please have you gat a pic or a link or what else to show me the part number...., as I dont' like my hand job.....otherwise I will have to buy again the original guard....

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca
Hi please have you gat a pic or a link or what else to show me the part number...., as I dont' like my hand job.....otherwise I will have to buy again the original guard....
http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/60035040100.html
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer: 547
Heat problems

My '09 990 will overheat- 12 bars flashing- if left to idle stationary in 85/90 degree weather, the fan alone can't cool it enough. Even running at 35 MPH in 65 F weather the fan cycles on and off quite frequently, and in stop and go traffic it's on more than it's off.

My '04 950 definitely ran cooler, perhaps something to do with the head2wind jetting that was likely richer at light throttle/low RPM than the EFI.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong. I have done the dynamic flush and made sure the system was fully bled afterwards.

Second fan has been received. It's the SPAL that Pyndon fitted to his 950, I just ordered it directly from SPAL rather than through KTM. It consumes only 25 W (2 A draw at 12.5 V). I confirmed this using an ammeter. Given the small additional draw, I'm going to wire it in parallel with the stock fan to see how much it helps......
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

thanks but it's adv only....

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Tafella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluaisrothaí
My '09 990 will overheat- 12 bars flashing- if left to idle stationary in 85/90 degree weather, the fan alone can't cool it enough. Even running at 35 MPH in 65 F weather the fan cycles on and off quite frequently, and in stop and go traffic it's on more than it's off.

My '04 950 definitely ran cooler, perhaps something to do with the head2wind jetting that was likely richer at light throttle/low RPM than the EFI.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong. I have done the dynamic flush and made sure the system was fully bled afterwards.

Second fan has been received. It's the SPAL that Pyndon fitted to his 950, I just ordered it directly from SPAL rather than through KTM. It consumes only 25 W (2 A draw at 12.5 V). I confirmed this using an ammeter. Given the small additional draw, I'm going to wire it in parallel with the stock fan to see how much it helps......
check the propeller in the waterpump!
Had the same heat problems and they were caused by
a worn out propeller.

cheers
Richard

www.lc8.nl
Tafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluaisrothaí

Do you have a link for the SPAL fan?
Thanks
SS
Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

I hear ya but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafella
check the propeller in the waterpump!
Had the same heat problems and they were caused by
a worn out propeller.

cheers
Richard
Hopefully not the case at 4100 miles! I do get plenty of flow through the radiators, and plenty of heat coming from the fan, it just seems like the engine is putting out too much heat!
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.
Do you have a link for the SPAL fan?
Thanks
SS