Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #1516
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob
So anything wrong with me capping off one of my Leo Vince outlets to do a butt dyno test?
I don't know anything about how those are baffled...I do know that the Remus I have on my 2 into 1 is not baffled much at all, and is still surprisingly quiet. Remember that with a 2 into 2, each cylinder is still able to exhale to some extent through both silencers, so the baffling through just ONE of them may be more restrictive than is healthy for higher revs and high engine load.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #1517
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob
So anything wrong with me capping off one of my Leo Vince outlets to do a butt dyno test?
I suspect that the pressure waves you're after to improve performance won't be the same with the volume of the mid-pipe and exhaust present, but I haven't tried it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #1518
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHorn
Pyn, I'd like to duplicate your jetting on my bike, but your float height is not listed in the H.O.W. Do you mind sharing??? I'm currently running 172/178 mains, 45 idle, floats at 2mm, and mix is at 2.5 turns out. The bike smells rich but has idle symptoms of being lean, so I'm thinking of going down on the mains and up on the float. Thanks for any help.
With your mains and 45 pilots you are definitely going to be rich at whatever altitude.

I just fitted a complete new set of carbs to mine as the stockers were getting pretty warn and I had a feeling this was causing lazy starting, smoking on start-up and extreme popping on overun. Only just done it today, the popping has stopped and I've yet to see if it has cured the rest.

For info, my current settings (at sea level) are:

Mains: Front 158 / Rear 160
Pilot: Front 42 / Rear 42
Needles: Both 3rd from top (middle), standard NDFB needles.
IAJ's and everything else as: As standard
IAMS: 2 3/8 turns out on front, 2 1/4 turns out at rear.
Float Height: 3.5mm

I run a GPR exhaust system and one of my own K&N pre-filter kits that I sell on this forum. Standard KTM main paper air filter. FYI, I have run pretty much the same setting with all aftermarket exhaust systems and I have had Remus, Akra's, Leo's and now GPR. 2-into-2 and 2-into-1 systems, makes little difference to fuelling just mid range feel.

Hope this helps. Incidentally, I have run leaner than this at altitude but generally stick around here with jetting. 160 front and 165 rear mains was about the best all round setting I have found, I only went smaller on mains for fuel economy (I'm a Yorkshire man!)

Hope this helps,

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1519
claferal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Hello Pyndon,

Do you know if it is possible to upgrade the bypass piston without splitting the cranckcase? I have tried it, but there is no space to extract it with the pump installed on the case.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #1520
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I can confirm this; even on the EFI Adventure I have, the 2 into 1 made a marked improvement in the 2000-5000 RPM range, and IMO polished up some of the herky-jerky throttle at low RPM as well. Because it breaths so much better than the stock catalytic units, it runs as good as or better when revved hard all the way to ~9k RPM, too.

JMO, but still - it wasn't because I expected it; I observed it seat-of-the-pants, so to speak.

Do you run stock map or Akra? SAS disable?

J.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #1521
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claferal
Hello Pyndon,

Do you know if it is possible to upgrade the bypass piston without splitting the cranckcase? I have tried it, but there is no space to extract it with the pump installed on the case.
I've never tried it but I'm sure you can, I think other people have. I'm sure you can do it without removing the pressure pump housing, I think there's enough room at the back there?

If you cannot, I'm sure you could remove the pressure pump housing without the suction pump moving on the other side as it is held in place by dowels and the suction tube 0-ring. I've never done it though so user beware, I'd hate to see it all fall apart on the other side

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 09-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #1522
claferal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I have tried to extract the piston. I extracted nearly all the piston except the last 4mm. I did not remove the clutch, I just worked in the space behind the clucth. But the piston touched against the case wall, so the reason was not the clutch.

I think I only will change the spring and not the piston. The risk of removing the pression pump is to high for me

Thanks a lot of!!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #1523
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,060
you can safely take the pump off, the other side will stay in place. Unless you go pushing it when reinstallin the clutch side. Youd have to be quite the donkey to push it off though

on the other side, i think the spring is what usually goes wrong, not the piston (correct me if im wrong!)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #1524
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
With your mains and 45 pilots you are definitely going to be rich at whatever altitude.

I just fitted a complete new set of carbs to mine as the stockers were getting pretty warn and I had a feeling this was causing lazy starting, smoking on start-up and extreme popping on overun. Only just done it today, the popping has stopped and I've yet to see if it has cured the rest.

For info, my current settings (at sea level) are:

Mains: Front 158 / Rear 160
Pilot: Front 42 / Rear 42
Needles: Both 3rd from top (middle), standard NDFB needles.
IAJ's and everything else as: As standard
IAMS: 2 3/8 turns out on front, 2 1/4 turns out at rear.
Float Height: 3.5mm

I run a GPR exhaust system and one of my own K&N pre-filter kits that I sell on this forum. Standard KTM main paper air filter. FYI, I have run pretty much the same setting with all aftermarket exhaust systems and I have had Remus, Akra's, Leo's and now GPR. 2-into-2 and 2-into-1 systems, makes little difference to fuelling just mid range feel.

Hope this helps. Incidentally, I have run leaner than this at altitude but generally stick around here with jetting. 160 front and 165 rear mains was about the best all round setting I have found, I only went smaller on mains for fuel economy (I'm a Yorkshire man!)

Hope this helps,

Pyn
Hi Pindon,

As far as I understand non of the stock or aftermarket 2-2, 2-1 exhausts systems are aiming at equal header lengths....is there a specific reason for that from your point of view...or maybe I'm missing something in the way engine delivers with each cylinder being happy in a different rpm range, rather than 2 being stuck to one narrow range of optimum performance and therefore reducing bike versatility?
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #1525
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher
Hi Pindon,

As far as I understand non of the stock or aftermarket 2-2, 2-1 exhausts systems are aiming at equal header lengths....is there a specific reason for that from your point of view...or maybe I'm missing something in the way engine delivers with each cylinder being happy in a different rpm range, rather than 2 being stuck to one narrow range of optimum performance and therefore reducing bike versatility?
This is a good question, but not one for my KTM 950 thread particularly as it is more of a general question.

For me the answer would be something along the lines of.....The advantage of having equal length headers v's not is relatively insignificant AND you have to weigh up the cost of manufacture, weight, space available, vulnerability (on this bike) and heat generation against the performance / balance advantage.

One to take off-line in a thread of it's own maybe.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #1526
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Thanks for the reply Pyn,
got your point...space, heat and vulnerability are of a higher priority for Adv bike
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #1527
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 189
Hello Pyn - I have a question if I may

I notice you do trackdays on the Katoom - and was wondering what changes you make - if any - to the suspension set up. Thanks for your time
joneswgareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #1528
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswgareth
Hello Pyn - I have a question if I may

I notice you do trackdays on the Katoom - and was wondering what changes you make - if any - to the suspension set up. Thanks for your time
None at all, I just take it with the same set-up, exactly how I use it everyday.
My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1529
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

HaHa

Lost an exhaust plug in the middle of nowhere.

Field repairs are always the most rewarding!!

My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #1530
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon

[IMG
http://pyndon.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Rides-and-Adventures/20100917-1004-European-Twos-Up/IMG2263/1030979979_g9Q2X-M.jpg[/IMG]
What country's coin is that? Nice fix!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote