Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #1741
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Careful Pyn, he's probably going to ask you to service it when he arrives ........
Only if I need to learn how to JB Weld a front fork to the front axle!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #1742
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Only if I need to learn how to JB Weld a front fork to the front axle!!!
Yep, I'm good at that!!
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #1743
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,710
Hate that I couldn't get to Sloan's but glad it turned out well.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #1744
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 516
Re-inspired...

For real. I am. Pyndon... You are the kind of rider in every respect I hope to be some day. Not only that, you are the kind of person I try to be every day!

I feel late to the party (sorry, spent the last 6-7 years on a BMW Dakar...), but I feel I need to chime in and at least give you my hearty thanks for convincing me the KTM is no more scary to work on than my Dakar was. You've re-inspired me to be "that" guy again. Combine that with a shiny 990 in my shop and it's almost like a rebirth!

You, sir, are what riding is all about. This thread. It's what community and fellow riders do for each other. That being said, I cannot explain how much info is in this thread... It's amazing! 2 weeks of reading to get to page 117 and I'm going to go back and read it all again! Cheers and keep it coming!!!

Rubber side down, ;)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1745
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Just finished this thread. Even with a little skimming there are lots of hours information laden KTM 950/990 steep learning curve. I've owned a 2007 990 with 25k miles for a couple of weeks and orange crush has been best source of info.

I have an interesting perspective here. Owned a new multistrada and new triumph tiger 800 in last 12 months. Reading the forums on the Ducati's potential problems was quite depressing. Triumph less so but still troubling.

This thread and other informative ones are something else again. The KTM appears to be a fairly trouble free beast when treated properly. Water pump kit ordered.... Btw.

Pyndon I'm triple impressed.

1. Mechanical skills and a ability to document and follow through.
2. Obvious riding skills even before I caught the video!
3. Most important IMO. Your patience dealing with people asking the same questions over and over that were answered in the threads.

Now about that oil....
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #1746
1BIGADV
Banned

Oddometer: 73
Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Well I’ve been hanging around here for a while now trying to decide what adventure bike to buy. After deciding to get a KTM 950 Adventure about three months ago I went down my local dealer and ordered one, a new 2006 Adventure S and it was going to be there in a week....oh, then another week, then another week and so on. Nothing they could do it was the factory not delivering and all dealers were in the same boat (I called loads to try and get one!). So in the mean time I looked around for used ones. Eventually found an ‘S’ pop up, Steverino’s 2004 'S'…..nice ! Needless to say I snapped it up in the first half hour of the add been placed . I actually tried to buy the bike a few months ago but Steve beat me to it ;o), ah well second time lucky!

The bike was in West Vaginia but Steve rode it all the way to Texas and delivered it…..what a top guy .

I've been riding bikes since the age of 11 and raced Enduro and Supermoto in the UK over the past seven years. I also built racing engines for many top UK racers until I moved to Texas. I got a new job in Texas USA and that’s where I am living at the moment. As a result of my relocation, it was time to abolish the rush and stress of the racing environment and do some adventure riding. I intend to be in Texas for a couple of years and see as much of the USA as I can while I am here……on two wheels .

Here is my new ride, the day Steve dropped it off.

And its always good to have a mileage record, this way I know if I'm getting my use out of it or not!
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Well I've read through this whole thread (and I don't even own a 950 ) just found it a fascinating read. Good job Pyn.

Only problem is that from here out I have to "experience" this thread in real time.
An Epic Journey Indeed and YetiGS its all about timer you arrived here to soon

Well what can we say, Pyndon you are a true pioneer in many ways and if I were 20 years younger who knows.

Learnt a lot and haven't finished reading everything, but it does confirm the choice I made 3 years ago to Buy a mint 950 rather than buy a later model 990 and I'm not sorry as I find the carbs meter so well on the gravel that with the help of louder pipes you can dial in the exact amount of wheel spin or slide you want. (seen about 110mph so far on the loose stuff but that's enough for me)

All the best in you ventures and will follow you on Facebook (just between you and me you don't make a half bad rider and to finish Dakar and no less that 6 places behind the American Baja legend Mr Campbell is pretty good indeed for a first effort

May catch up with you at some stage somewhere and know you are busy now so am ok if cant reply

all the best from a fellow Big Orange Rider

1BIGADV screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 03:54 AM
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #1747
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post

Now about that oil....
LOL...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #1748
1BIGADV
Banned

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post

Now about that oil....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
LOL...
10/60 synthetic ideal for extreme weather variations, changed every 5000 miles or any old multi grade every 2000 miles

Turn idle up to 1500rpm if cam chain rattles in hotter temps and it wont matter much as motor wont wear out anyway

Did I miss anything
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #1749
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,817
Been trying to catch up on your builds since my 950 is getting weak and in desperate need of new rings and some other TLC. My rear pedal did nearly the same. I was replacing c-clip that holds the plunger in master cylinder and noticed the material had been infiltrated by probably road salt since I ride mine year round. The rear near the pivot was the worse with over 50% cross sectional loss and the front 2 bolts for the foot pad were nearly broken out.

Quote:

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #1750
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Merry Christmas old love!

My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #1751
nomad guy
nonaffiliated

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Merry Christmas old love!

True love indeed

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #1752
jfl
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues View Post
Seriously,

I mistook it for a Yoruba bronze mask (Nigerian tribe)
Me too man! LMAO!!
jfl is offline   Reply With Quote