Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 03:31 AM   #31
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Hi, this is an extraordinary piece of work. Thank you for documenting and sharing it with us.

Questions:

1) What did you use to get your swingarm like that? mine is absolutely knackered (the satin finish is coming off in a bad way)

2) Your steel brake discs - how did you remove the rust and will it stay like that after some time?

Thanks a ton mate, extremely inspiring

Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 AM   #32
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Cleaning Swing Arm and Disks......

After trying lots of different things I found that Scotchbrite was the best thing to use on both. Just scrub like hell and they come up eventally.

Now, with the brake disks they will stay like that yes, so long as you clean the bike regularly and detail it properly with the correct detergents. They are stainless steel so should not go like that but as with everything if it is left with dirt, grime and salt on it, eventually it will give in!

Now the swing arm is a bit different. My guess is that it has some kind of coating on it to stop it corroding, because aluminium will corrode when left exposed to the elements. But, since it looked so badand was already corroding I decided to ignore this and Scotchbrite that too ! You will certainly have to keep on top of it though, however I have done this before with bikes and if you keep them clean it will last a pretty good amount of time. Even when it does begin to go, it is much easier to clean up again with Scotchbrite the next time.......first time takes a lot of effort to get that coating and corrosion off.

Hope this helps!
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 AM   #33
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Great write up!!

Thanks for taking us along.

May I ask what floating disks you will be useing Part Number
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #34
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Thanks Pyndon! Because I am in SAfrica and we get slightly different products, is Scotchbrite the "steel goldilocks" used in the kitchen to scrape the bottom of pots etc?

Isnt that helluva abrasive and wont it leave scoring on the swingarm? Thats why I wondered what you are using

I post this link so that you can point out to me what youa re talking about.

Thanks a ton lads. This site is the dogs bollocks. Actually, more.

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc.../scrubber.html

Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #35
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
Thanks Pyndon! Because I am in SAfrica and we get slightly different products, is Scotchbrite the "steel goldilocks" used in the kitchen to scrape the bottom of pots etc?

Isnt that helluva abrasive and wont it leave scoring on the swingarm? Thats why I wondered what you are using

I post this link so that you can point out to me what youa re talking about.

Thanks a ton lads. This site is the dogs bollocks. Actually, more.

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc.../scrubber.html

ScotchBrite comes in a number of abrasive gradients. Brick Red and Black are pretty heavy duty, Wouldn't use them on Aluminum. Green is medium I think, and White is pretty tame.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #36
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Scotchbrite!

This is the stuff I used, maroon general purpose!

http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts...sid=0626065511
Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #37
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Thanks Gents. This must have taken some serious time. Any special lubrication you put on the scotchbrite for the swingarm and or discs? Metal polish?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #38
gavP
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 133
Great work Pyndon, please keep the reports coming, will be very useful to the rest of us.
gavP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #39
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Daym Pyndon! That's a hell of a job. Absolutly awsome. You have probably done more to that bike than any dealer to a 950 ever has. Bravo

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #40
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
DAMN Steve! What kind of hoopty POS were you trying to foist off on us?!

Or is it that Pyndon is one of them anal-retentive types we all love to buy stuff from?!

M
Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #41
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Keep an eye on this bike and when Pyndon puts it up for sale. It is gonna be the one to own.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #42
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 6: Look what arrived today!!!!!

Well, got home from work and would you look at that, a box of tricks for Pyndon!………wonder what it is??

Can you tell what it is yet?!? If it’s what I think it is it will put a smile on my face for sure!
Yep, received my tripple clamps today (Thanks to Paige at Emig Racing). Very nice girl, knows exactly what she is talking about and tells you exactly how it is. "You’ll receive them on Tuesday she said" and low and behold here thay are on Tuesday…fantastic!

I went for the 20mm off-set for stability more than anything and a Revolution II damper to go with. I also got the super high (3¼") bar mounts since I very much like standing up and I am 6’4" tall (I even have 35mm risers in my CRF250R, this makes it much more comfortable for me).
The quality of the product is excellent, everything fitted together like a dream, no problems at all.

You get a new lower bearing with the 20mm offset tripple clamp set so I knocked the old one out of the frame to replace it with the new one. I got a punch to it….a couple of shots either side and it just fell out. The old bearings were in great shape, well gresed and not really warn at all. When I cleaned the bore ready for the new lower race to be installed I noticed why it fell out after a couple of hits, the bore was badly scored, machine scores.

When I looked at it closer, the machine has obviously booboo’d in the factory and taken a dirty great gouge out of the bearing bore. The bore was oval when I measured it, not good at all! It definitely was’nt wear so I took lots of pictures and am going to report it somehow to KTM. I am very dissapointed with this and cannot believe how the quality control in the factory let this one go! Nevertheless I installed the new one and found that at least the base part of the bore was just (and only just) supporting the bearing race so I should’nt have any problems, it has been ok for 12,000 miles anyway. You can see the gap in the following pictures. At the right hand side of the first picture!

I will definately keep my beady on it if I'm riding it heavy off-road, make sure the race doesn't crack or anything.

Greased the new bearings up.......

.......and slotted it all together like a glove.

Before and after:

Notice the black damper below (allbeit not fitted properly in picture), I thought a little touch of black would be a nice contrast since the bike is orange and black.

Well, next up was the carbs. I decided to strip them all down and give them a clean. I also knew that they needed richening up a little since the bike was at 3000ft before and I am much closer to sea level.

First thing I noticed was, to some what of a shock, the rear carb had no clip on the needle.........

I looked and looked and eventually found it sat in the base of the slide just trying to make it’s way into the engine!

STEVE!!!! Did you have anything to do with this?!? I'm sure it will run better with a clip on the needle, how it ran as smooth as it did was a mirracle, I can't wait to ride it now!

Anyway, I then established that the carbs still had the stock needles in so, I ran upstairs to get the Factory Pro Jet kit that I got with the bike and noticed that half of the stuff in the kit had not been used. Why buy a jet kit and leave half of the nice things you get in the box?

Anyway, changed the needles to the Titanium ones (and set them to where I think they need to be), richened the mains and the air screws a little and we’ll see where we go from there. I also replaced the standard float bowl screws with the stainless steel Allen screws you get in the Jet Kit.

I've just got the vent pipes to replace on the carbs now. I hope to get it dyno’d just as soon as I get everything done. Good news is that the carbs were spotless inside, no dirt whatsoever.

That’s it for today, time for some .

Tatafornow, Pyn.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #43
coltgovt
Banned

Oddometer: 131
Pyndon,

Your attention to detail is phenomenal. Are you from Japanese or German ancestry?

Anyway, one of my specialties is “Finish” work. I suggest you take a look at reapplying a clear coat finish to all of the aluminum pieces you cleaned and shined? There’s some really bombproof urethanes out there that hold up for years against the most corrosive elements, i.e., salt, snow, etc.

I think it will eliminate a lot of the elbow grease that will otherwise be needed to maintain the aluminums new factory appearance.
coltgovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #44
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
Mother of God !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I took good care of my bikes. I feel like the torturer of my ktm compared to you............Great work.
I know there endless posts are on the factory pro jet kits, but my experience with them was not a good one. The stock jets lifted one notch with the remus pipes worked perfectly for me. Try both. Very nice documentation.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #45
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010

I probably wouldn't have even looked! All the one's I have done have been a bit of a fight to get out. Now I feel better. I have to admit that I haven't done my 950 yet. Any chance you want to borrow my bike for a few weeks

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote