Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #91
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
KTM Moto.

C-Dub.

Thanks for the Info, I actually went searching last night about it and found the stuff. Man, I would love to go but need to find somewhere nearby that has rooms available. Red Lion booked up! Also, it's 1660 miles for me to get there, so if anybody is going from Texas or knows of anybody going from Texas and wants to ride with (or drive with), let me know.

Regards,

Lyndon
Man, that is a long haul, well good luck, by the way I could probably share my room, I'm solo so far.
C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #92
Terlingua
Terlingua

Oddometer: 249
Just a nother day in paradise well all most.

Pyndan I just though I'd tell you about the 950's. I bought one saturday and road it home 180 mile in the dang rain. Taking it easy and braking it in and geting use to it. Next day took it all a part and pulled all the epa stuff off and set the carbs, set the suspension to the book. Got every thing close and thin tune it to me. I have about 350 on it since saturday and about twenty of it off road, about ten dirt roads and the other ten trails. On the dirt roads this thing was mother beautiful, on the tails if it was hard pack it did all right, sand well it will get yu there. Wet sand pertty good and then there mud and this is about what that turn in to the stock front tire just ball up and quit. The back tire on the other hand did about as good as a 3/4 wore out nob. I did all most all the trail on it and road it 140 mile up and back to get there. Well thats about 95% good in my book. Now its not near a fun as a dirt bike. But I'll get to ride it a lot more and if I can keep my DL with this bad boy it will be a wonder. You know I think I seen you were in dallas. I'm down on the coast but every year I go out to terlingua in big bind out in west texas and ride dirt bikes for a week are so.
Will I've made freinds from all over and they come out at drifent times and ride with me out there. Well this year some guy I know and I are talking about riding all the way out there and back and taking ever back road we can find and camping all the way. If you thank you might like something like this let me know and we'll go from there.
Terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #93
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,711
Outstanding report. Where do you get that way cool green hose for your vents?

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:41 AM   #94
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
What's that black on your tank?

Hi Pyn:

Is the leading edge of your tank painted black, or is it something else? And what about the botton of the tank, at the sides - is that black plasic protector (off a 990 ADV) or some other make?

Thanks for the report on your rebuild.

Regards

Rupert
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #95
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Tank and stone protectors.

The leading edge of the fairing and the lower parts of the tanks are eprotected by Carbon Fibre (not plastic and not black paint!). They are custom gaurds that are formed and bonded in place. Also, the lower two fairing bolts are utilised to further secure the tank gaurds in place.

I have no idea where you could buy something similar, never seen anybody offering something of such quality.

Pyn
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #96
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Tank and stone protectors.

The leading edge of the fairing and the lower parts of the tanks are eprotected by Carbon Fibre (not plastic and not black paint!). They are custom gaurds that are formed and bonded in place. Also, the lower two fairing bolts are utilised to further secure the tank gaurds in place.

I have no idea where you could buy something similar, never seen anybody offering something of such quality.

Pyn
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #97
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Carbon Fibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon

Pyn
Those really are sweet! I hope someone chimes in with who makes those.....I want a set!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #98
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dub
Those really are sweet! I hope someone chimes in with who makes those.....I want a set!
Here's where most of us on this forum have gotten ours:
http://tinyurl.com/q63fn
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #99
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Tank Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Here's where most of us on this forum have gotten ours:
http://tinyurl.com/q63fn
-cp
I checked the Workshop and it appears the only guards they have cover the lower portion of the tanks. The ones on Pinion's bike cover the front of the tanks up to the fairings and act as rock guards and look cool too.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #100
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
I checked the Workshop and it appears the only guards they have cover the lower portion of the tanks. The ones on Pinion's bike cover the front of the tanks up to the fairings and act as rock guards and look cool too.
That lower portion that the ADV Workshop guards cover IS the tank. The plastic part that the photo in this thread has a guard on, is the fairing (no gas inside). But, of course you knew that
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #101
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Quote:
That lower portion that the ADV Workshop guards cover IS the tank. The plastic part that the photo in this thread has a guard on, is the fairing (no gas inside). But, of course you knew that
-cp
Yea, I know how the bike is put together, you know what I mean, I like the carbon fibre FAIRING protectors, look at Pinions picture at the top of this page.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #102
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Yea, I know how the bike is put together, you know what I mean, look at Pinions picture at the top of this page.
I have. I knew what you meant, just had to rattle your cage
BTW, this is a great thread. I am amazed (and a bit jealous) that Pyndon has so much time on his hands. Great photos too. If they were all put together in one easy to get to album, they would be a great resource (hint ...hint). They tuely show the beauty, simplicity, and racebred engineering and development that went into the Nine-Fiddy. If a picture is worth a thousand words, Pyndon's series is the Library of Congress.
-cp

-cp

Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #103
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Quote:
I have. I knew what you meant, just had to rattle your cage
BTW, this is a great thread. I am amazed (and a bit jealous) that Pyndon has so much time on his hands. Great photos too. If they were all put together in one easy to get to album, they would be a great resource (hint ...hint). They tuely show the beauty, simplicity, and racebred engineering and development that went into the Nine-Fiddy. If a picture is worth a thousand words, Pyndon's series is the Library of Congress.
-cp
You only bumped my cage slightly and I totally agree with what you say about Pinyon, the mighty 9fiddy and this thread
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #104
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I think the C Fiber tank guards on that bike are custom made , I was looking at them at Shagapoolza thinking I likey , might pm Steve and see if he knows . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #105
Howlan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Wow what a great thread! Even a little more interesting that I owned this bike at one time. Sold it cause I wasn't riding it much as I've have 2 new little ones in the last couple of years. Sold it back in February to Vance who sold to Steve, only had 2,500 miles on it after almost 2 years of having when I sold to Vance. Glad to see she is getting ridden now, and is getting the royal treatment from Pyndon, wow.

I put the carbon fiber tank guards and rock guards on her. Bought them from a fellow AdvRider who was making these custom back at the end of 2004, I can't remember his ID, and I've seached. I'll keep trying to remember or see if I can find an old email or something....

Happy trails Pyndon!

Howard
Howlan is offline   Reply With Quote