ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Tcon77 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
A Tale of Two Teneres (Which bike to get?)

Hi all,
I recently decided I want to do more long distance touring and my current bike (Monster 796) doesn't really fit the bill. After lots of time reading all the great info on this side I am really leaning toward getting a Super T. I know they have made some serious upgrades between the 2012/2013 and the 2014+ models. I have found some low mileage and nicely farkled 2012's, and some more expensive but still reasonable 2014's. I am interested in hearing from some people that have ridden/owned both iterations of the bike, and whether you think the upgrades are worth the extra $$. Thanks guys.
Tcon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,273
newer is better.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,414
From what I've heard, the 2014+ is the way to go. That being said, the 2012-2013 is no slouch. I love mine - best bike I've ridden. Where in VT are you?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
ironbutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I have both a 2012 and a 2014, to me, the BIG difference between the two is cruise control.

If I were in the market, I would want to ride a 2012/2013 to make sure you are OK with the smoothness factor. My 2012 is pretty smooth - I enjoy riding it as much as the 2014.

So why did I spend the money on a 2014? For me, it was cruise control, it is a nice add for someone that rides long hours on road.

If money is not a factor, 2014/2015 is the way to go.
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I haven't owned both, but the appeal of a leftover 2012 or 13 was the cut-rate price. The appeal of a leftover 2014 was cruise and some other refinements.

I really wanted cruise control, and hoped that the refinements made to the fueling, T/S maps, etc. would preclude spending $ on a re-flash on a brand new bike (something my brain objects to in principle).

My other concern was that since prices dropped so low on dealer-stock 12's and 13's, there likely won't be a lot of residual value left in them when it comes time to trade or sell. Honestly I think the biggest killer of sales to the 12's and 13's was the upgrades made in '14.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Tcon77 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
From what I've heard, the 2014+ is the way to go. That being said, the 2012-2013 is no slouch. I love mine - best bike I've ridden. Where in VT are you?
Im in Middlebury. Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated
Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
STcorndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I had a choice and the money for either. I had the money for a GSA wethead.......but sanity kicked in.

I bought a 2013 in 2014. It cost me peanuts so I have no fear of tossing it down. Some refinements were made in 2014 but none were revolutionary.

Cruise is nice I guess, but only if you use it. I want my hand and brain in the game all the time and to me, did not want the distraction of a cruise controlled bike. I had cruise on my last sport touring bike and never used cruise.

Either version you buy you will love....its only money, so don't cheat yourself with old model if you want the new stuff. You will regret it later.

18,000 miles....1 year old.......would do it again.
STcorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Hey neighbor!
I looked for a deal on a leftover '14 within a reasonable distance and found none. Sport line gave me a good deal on a new '15 ES and I pick it up next Saturday. Review to come!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:16 AM   #9
greenmtndave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I went with a good deal on a 2013 and have no regrets. It fits my current needs perfectly.

greenmtndave screwed with this post 05-02-2015 at 03:23 AM
greenmtndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 3,002
No Contest!

Had both 12 and now a 14. The 2014 is light years better in every way. Spend the extra.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
I've several mates all came from FJR's GTR's and ST's and wings and got onto the S10's.
All highly credential long distance riders and tourers.
Each of them has put up huge mileage on their S10's and just don't really see they lost anything the other bikes had.

4 of the six have upgraded to the most recent edition and all agree the difference is noticeable and a marked improvement...cruise control being the most obvious.

I don't own one myself. I've ridden a few early models and had a blat on the 6month 14 model a few weeks back. Its the one I would buy.

I own an ST1300 and a TDM9er. The ST1300 would go as a trade for the S10 any-day of the week.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Tcon77 OP
Adventurer

Great food for thought. Looking forward to that review Harpoonalt.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #13
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Bought my 14 ES back at the end of December. I searched and found several new 13s at very good prices. Even found one local. I'm usually a cheap skate but when I found a 14ES for only about a grand more I went ahead and got even though it was 500 miles away. Glad I bought the 14 ES too as I left the show room in Henderson N.C. and rode it to Monterrey Mexico with a 2 day stop at the house in N. Ga. to sleep, change the oil and pack a bit more for the multi day trip. During that trip I used the heated grips and cruise control continuously. I did one 1K mile day in roughly 16 hours in the rain with temps ranging from high 30s to high 50s. The 13 Tenere would not have had cruise or likely,, heated grips and from what I've heard,, had a less comfy seat and the wind screen wasn't as effective. This will be one of the few bikes I don't change seats or wind screens on.

As far as the ES suspension goes, I didn't think I would use it all that much but I find myself changing it every time I go on a "real" ride {something other than commuting}. I ride two up a lot, ride at fairly brisk pace in the twisties and hit quite a bit of local forestry roads all on a regular basis and the ES works a treat for that. I will admit that I would like to have stiffer springs especially when riding two up but the "light spring rate" woulda been the same on the 13 also.

I have seen some fairly well modded 12-13 Teneres at very, very good prices and if I had been able to find a well modded used Tenere at one of those bargain basement prices in the time frame I needed {pressed for that trip to Mexico}, I would have no issues buying one for the money saved as the two are not different enough that the aftermarket can't address or make even better. But, if looking at two new bikes, one a 13 and one a 14,, especially an ES and the price difference was only a grand or so,,,, well,,,,,,,,, even cheap skates have their limits!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #14
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 2,036
Did they update the clutch baskets on the '14? Plus, I seem to remember a few cam chain tensioner issues like on the FZ-09 on the older models. How did they handle the loose spokes issues? I know the head light harness was updated.

What are the mechanical improvements . . . besides better fueling and CC?
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 272
I picked up a 2013 model in June of last year when they added the $1200 in accessories and an extra year of YES for free. They also knocked about $3500 off of MSRP. I wanted the new design of the Tenere and the cruise control but I couldn't pass up the offer I was given.

I will add the clutch basket and CCT from the 2014 when I check valves if not sooner. I might look at aftermarket CC too. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either. They are great bikes.
Mike