User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #901
McRosog
Shadowking

Oddometer: 14
Some pics

Some pics from a trip at nearby Pieria Mountains.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #902
plutonic
Banned

Oddometer: 3,575
Nice.
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #903
marc-s
photographer

Oddometer: 104

From yesterdays trip in the Swiss alps.
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #904
marc-s
photographer

Oddometer: 104
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #905
Crazykiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm another new owner, she should be arriving from the UK into New Zealand in about 4-6 weeks.

It's been in storage since 2004, apparently it has been stored correctly and started on regular intervals.
I will be changing all fluids once I get my hot little hands on it.

Any suggestions on what else may need replacing or what would have deteriorated over the last 8 years of storage would be welcomed.

See link for bike

https://sites.google.com/site/clear1...0-super-tenere
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #906
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,523
Maybe pull the tank off it and check the air filters haven't been home to any critters, then check the manifold rubbers, manifold blanking plug, vacuum pump lines, fuel lines and operation of the fuel tank taps (the rubbers in these can split or break, causing the tap to remain on, which isn't normally a problem until you actually need them to turn off - such as when a fuel line splits and your in the city centre with no tools and fuel leaking everywhere - DAMHIK ).
Fine rust from water eating the bottoms of the fuel tank might be an issue. Run a pair of fine mesh filters off each fuel tap line - don't run a big central fuel filter half way up to the carby inlet point as the wee vacuum pump won't cope.
You might need to deal with corrosion caused by riding on salted roads. The rear subframe and swingarm can suffer.
The earthing of the rec/reg is critical for the unit to work properly. Check the rec/reg plug is in good, tight fitting condition with no burning to the terminal spades. Cut them off and replace them with individual spade connectors if they're dodgy. A flickering tacho is a sign of rec/reg issues.
Finally, they can suffer from worn out emulsion tubes (needle jets) and jet needles from vibration over time (usually about 20k km onwards), so you may find it runs like a hairy goat and needs some tuning when you first get her.
See you over at "super-tenere.net" if you haven't already signed up. You'll eventually need their help. But you'll love this big beasty. They're great fun.
Also forgot to mention the rear brake lever pivot can seize and ruin your rear disc or caliper - give it a squirt of chain lube immediately - you'll need to lay down to get at it and remove the washer and split-pin protecting it from being serviced easily, not to mention the exhaust pipes in the other side of the lever assembly. If your rear brake caliper hasn't seized already, make use of it regularly to keep her functioning - the front brakes are pretty average anyway onroad but perfect off-road (like a poor man's ABS system - they're so bad they're hard to lock up usually, although it can be done) and you'll need all the help of the rear disc in an emergency - just like a Harley. I've fitted "soft" racing front pads to my bike - it makes little difference.
Good luck!
Looks like he's Armouralled the tyres for you - that'll be fun! That luggage bar needs to be cut off and thrown back at a chopper owner as well. His asking price was certainly pushing the market from what I've seen on the STN Forum. Still cheap for a good one over this side of the world. How much to get her shipped, out of curiosity, if you don't mind? Any issues with importing it into NZ?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 08:20 AM
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #907
Crazykiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Maybe pull the tank off it and check the air filters haven't been home to any critters, then check the manifold rubbers, manifold blanking plug, vacuum pump lines, fuel lines and operation of the fuel tank taps (the rubbers in these can split or break, causing the tap to remain on, which isn't normally a problem until you actually need them to turn off - such as when a fuel line splits and your in the city centre with no tools and fuel leaking everywhere - DAMHIK ).
Fine rust from water eating the bottoms of the fuel tank might be an issue. Run a pair of fine mesh filters off each fuel tap line - don't run a big central fuel filter half way up to the carby inlet point as the wee vacuum pump won't cope.
You might need to deal with corrosion caused by riding on salted roads. The rear subframe and swingarm can suffer.
The earthing of the rec/reg is critical for the unit to work properly. Check the rec/reg plug is in good, tight fitting condition with no burning to the terminal spades. Cut them off and replace them with individual spade connectors if they're dodgy. A flickering tacho is a sign of rec/reg issues.
Finally, they can suffer from worn out emulsion tubes (needle jets) and jet needles from vibration over time (usually about 20k km onwards), so you may find it runs like a hairy goat and needs some tuning when you first get her.
See you over at "super-tenere.net" if you haven't already signed up. You'll eventually need their help. But you'll love this big beasty. They're great fun.
Also forgot to mention the rear brake lever pivot can seize and ruin your rear disc or caliper - give it a squirt of chain lube immediately - you'll need to lay down to get at it and remove the washer and split-pin protecting it from being serviced easily, not to mention the exhaust pipes in the other side of the lever assembly. If your rear brake caliper hasn't seized already, make use of it regularly to keep her functioning - the front brakes are pretty average anyway onroad but perfect off-road (like a poor man's ABS system - they're so bad they're hard to lock up usually, although it can be done) and you'll need all the help of the rear disc in an emergency - just like a Harley. I've fitted "soft" racing front pads to my bike - it makes little difference.
Good luck!
Looks like he's Armouralled the tyres for you - that'll be fun! That luggage bar needs to be cut off and thrown back at a chopper owner as well. His asking price was certainly pushing the market from what I've seen on the STN Forum. Still cheap for a good one over this side of the world. How much to get her shipped, out of curiosity, if you don't mind? Any issues with importing it into NZ?
Hi, thanks for the info, it's great to have an idea of what to expect once she arrives.

I thought the price was good considering the condition.

So far I've paid 940 for shipping, that excludes all New Zealand taxes.
Not to bad really, thats with the bike being picked up and crated from Newcastle to Auckland.
I will let you know the full cost once she is in the garage.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #908
StefanDB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bad Horsie - my S10

Hi guys,

I've had my S10 for about a year now and must say it was love at first ride I did have the chance to ride one previously to buying mine, but she's something else. I've planned quite a renewal for her, but all in due time. So far I've fitted her with bi-xenon lights, as it is the Italian-sold model (with the sucky headlights), taller windscreen (MRA), center stand and a new chain kit and a chain oiler from Loobman. Brakes are next in line (braided hoses, maybe 300mm discs), forks (thicker oil, maybe progressive springs) and a Dynojet for the carbs. I had to change the swingarm, as it was previously damaged (by a broken chain I suppose), I also need to check the valves/timing chain, as some rattling is present lately. Tensioner is only half in, but a mechanic said that the chain might have uneven wear so...

Right, that's enough about me. I'm glad I found this topic, it made my day.
StefanDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #909
rumpel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115

Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #910
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Just an update, moved to Spain 3 months ago on the 3ld, so far this has been a pleasent one
i wanted to get away from the ~you have to system~.....
I left most my stuff in a storage unit, or gave it away,

the 23 year old bike has been running flawlessly, apart from a broken sparkplug cap, on and off road

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #911
rumpel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
what suspension you have on bike?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #912
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
White power up front and kayaba on the back end
Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #913
StefanDB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookeniggy View Post
White power up front and kayaba on the back end
The front looks awesome. Can you share some info on the supplier/source of these USD forks? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #914
Hawkhills
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb Finally got it :)

Just got my hands on my old dream
When the Super Tenere first came out I did't have the money or a driving license, so no chance of getting one.
Then when I got my driving license, I also got some children and the dream vanished again

Now the kids are growing up and I find myself having time to dream again hehe, I started to look for a used Super Tenere and found this one, I really hate the colors...but since the bike is 100% original and only have 10 000 kilometers on the clock, since 1994 I decided to go for it, It's now mine and will be the base for a great adventure build

The photo is from my second ride on the bike, just to take a nice photo before I start to remove stickers, and make more changes to my old found love

The bike has never been messed with only oil, battery and tire change I feel very lucky.

Before I start to take it apart and convert it into my dream of a rally/adventure bike, I like to share it with you guys, please feel free to give good advise regarding the build as it is my first big build
Hawkhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #915
StefanDB
Adventurer

Same li'll beast

Hi Hawkhills,

My God, only 10000 km on it? That's like having a brand new one May I ask how much did you pay for it?
I got the same color scheme on my S10, wasn't so happy either at first but I got used to it and now I kinda like it.

Photo (in case the image is still not loaded)

I'd like to turn it into a rally version too someday, but in the mean time I use it as it is and she's been a doll so far. Only needs a battery and tire change, the current ones aren't doing the trick anymore.

As for your question, I think the first thing to look at is strengthening the frame, it has a weak point at a joint, I think more experienced people can tell you all about it and there's plenty of info on the Internet too. Also, the suspension, obviously. I've seen some people that have mounted USD forks on them (Yamaha WRX I think), only trouble is it only has fittings for one brake caliper. There are some who have succeeded in doing the USD change and keep both brake disks and both calipers, see five posts up! If that's too much trouble, you can always go for progressive springs in the fork tubes, combined with thicker oil. I don't know much about rear suspension modifications (yet!)

Speaking of brakes, I am thinking of getting 290mm disks on the front, as well as steel-braided hoses for both front and rear brakes. I rode a S10 of a friend which had those and it's a whole different thing.

There is a site, http://raidxtreme.eu/ that deals with rally modifications for the S10 and not only, where you can find a lot of good info, also rally custom parts, trouble is, it seems to be a bit hard to get them to answer:) Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. They make brake customizations, fairings and some other stuff too.

Other ideas: dynojet maybe, in the carbs, also sports air filter and of course a new carb setting after the installment, new handlebars, custom windscreen, additional gas tanks, navigation, tires, heavy duty tubes (or even go tubeless as one of the guys in Romania did link - if you need help with the translation, let me know), and a sport exhaust (if legally possible ). Oh, and I don't know how your lights are, but mine were totally unreliable. I got HID Xenon now, I can finally see!!! Yeah, ummm..that's all I can think of right now.

As for the aesthetic part, I always loved Tenere's that have steel netting as headlight protection, knobby tires (Karoo T), grips, and whatever else you can think of.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Also, please upload a pic right after you take down the stickers, I'd like to see how mine would look like Cheers! Stefan

StefanDB screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 03:10 PM Reason: Errors in posting, image doesn's appear