Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #916
marc-s
photographer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhills View Post
Just got my hands on my old dream
When the Super Tenere first came out I did't have the money or a driving license, so no chance of getting one.
Then when I got my driving license, I also got some children and the dream vanished again

Now the kids are growing up and I find myself having time to dream again hehe, I started to look for a used Super Tenere and found this one, I really hate the colors...but since the bike is 100% original and only have 10 000 kilometers on the clock, since 1994 I decided to go for it, It's now mine and will be the base for a great adventure build

The photo is from my second ride on the bike, just to take a nice photo before I start to remove stickers, and make more changes to my old found love

The bike has never been messed with only oil, battery and tire change I feel very lucky.

Before I start to take it apart and convert it into my dream of a rally/adventure bike, I like to share it with you guys, please feel free to give good advise regarding the build as it is my first big build
what a beauty! very nice!

If you ask me I'd clearly redo the wire harness. all of it. get rid of the old style molex plugs, add a waterproof fuse block, bigger diameters for all the cables from and to the reg/rec, bigger wires for the headlights AND relay and so on... I don't have much experience with S10s, but from what I read electrical problems are the most common. and mine had them too: battery would not load properly until she was completely dead. but it wasn't the batteries fault. no. the molex plugs were melted. I got rid of all the plugs, connected the battery directly to the reg/rec and all the problems are gone.
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #917
StefanDB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-s View Post

If you ask me I'd clearly redo the wire harness. all of it. get rid of the old style molex plugs, add a waterproof fuse block, bigger diameters for all the cables from and to the reg/rec, bigger wires for the headlights AND relay and so on... I don't have much experience with S10s, but from what I read electrical problems are the most common. and mine had them too: battery would not load properly until she was completely dead. but it wasn't the batteries fault. no. the molex plugs were melted. I got rid of all the plugs, connected the battery directly to the reg/rec and all the problems are gone.
Right, there was that too, I have electrical issues too
StefanDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #918
Hawkhills
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanDB View Post
Hi Hawkhills,

My God, only 10000 km on it? That's like having a brand new one May I ask how much did you pay for it?
I got the same color scheme on my S10, wasn't so happy either at first but I got used to it and now I kinda like it.

Photo (in case the image is still not loaded)

I'd like to turn it into a rally version too someday, but in the mean time I use it as it is and she's been a doll so far. Only needs a battery and tire change, the current ones aren't doing the trick anymore.

As for your question, I think the first thing to look at is strengthening the frame, it has a weak point at a joint, I think more experienced people can tell you all about it and there's plenty of info on the Internet too. Also, the suspension, obviously. I've seen some people that have mounted USD forks on them (Yamaha WRX I think), only trouble is it only has fittings for one brake caliper. There are some who have succeeded in doing the USD change and keep both brake disks and both calipers, see five posts up! If that's too much trouble, you can always go for progressive springs in the fork tubes, combined with thicker oil. I don't know much about rear suspension modifications (yet!)

Speaking of brakes, I am thinking of getting 290mm disks on the front, as well as steel-braided hoses for both front and rear brakes. I rode a S10 of a friend which had those and it's a whole different thing.

There is a site, http://raidxtreme.eu/ that deals with rally modifications for the S10 and not only, where you can find a lot of good info, also rally custom parts, trouble is, it seems to be a bit hard to get them to answer:) Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. They make brake customizations, fairings and some other stuff too.

Other ideas: dynojet maybe, in the carbs, also sports air filter and of course a new carb setting after the installment, new handlebars, custom windscreen, additional gas tanks, navigation, tires, heavy duty tubes (or even go tubeless as one of the guys in Romania did link - if you need help with the translation, let me know), and a sport exhaust (if legally possible ). Oh, and I don't know how your lights are, but mine were totally unreliable. I got HID Xenon now, I can finally see!!! Yeah, ummm..that's all I can think of right now.

As for the aesthetic part, I always loved Tenere's that have steel netting as headlight protection, knobby tires (Karoo T), grips, and whatever else you can think of.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Also, please upload a pic right after you take down the stickers, I'd like to see how mine would look like Cheers! Stefan
Hi Stefan :)

A little late reply but I've been out riding the beauty It handles very well on the small bendy roads here in the forest and even on gravel hehe
when I rode I noticed a problem when letting go of the throttle. when I wanted to use the motor as a "motorbrake" it took "to long" to set in, at first I was thinking that the chain was to slack but I think it's the rubber in the rear hub that has dried out, leaving to much space for the wheel to roll, should be an easy fix

When I take the bike apart in the winter I will def. make the frame stronger on the places described as a weak point, it feels wrong to weld on a almost new bike but as I understand it's something that has to be done if you want to carry heavy loads on bumpy roads.

When it comes to the color of the fairings and tank I might wait a little with the removal of the stickers and try to find some fairings to do the new paint job on and maybe a new tank. I will try to get prices from http://raidxtreme.eu/ if they have something that fits without making to many changes to the bike. The reason for this is that I find the original fairings very fragile and I don't think it's suitable for a "rally" bike, anyway not for a rider with my "skillz" I expect to make some nasty crashes and learn from my mistakes

When it comes to skillz I have to be earnest about the fact that my level is a little rusty and I have to adjust the project after that. I already have decided to upgrate the carbs, airfilter, exhaust, handlebars, steel braided hose and tires. I think I will use the original fork but upgrade it with springs and oil. Better lights would be very nice to have as I plan to ride from early spring to late fall and we have MANY animals on the roads, unfortunately moose an wild-pigs likes to move around in the night and of course steel netting in front of the headlights and water cooler

As marc-s wrote in his reply, looking over all the electrics is a very good idea, I think it't the hard part of the build but it has to be done and it will feel good when riding afterwards

ps. I paid 2600 euro for the bike, think it's a fair price...

Thanks for now and I leave you with a photo of my current color choice (can change in the future), pour quality on the photo but the best I could find

Hawkhills screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 04:38 PM
Hawkhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #919
Hawkhills
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-s View Post

Hi Marc-s

Thanks for the advise with the electrics, I will take the time to do the boring job but I think it will be worth it in the end :)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #920
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,078
I would definitely leave that colour scheme alone.
Looks great, as is.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #921
Hawkhills
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
I would definitely leave that colour scheme alone.
Looks great, as is.
Hi Yamalama :)

Yes I also got to that decision, I will get the girl a brand new set of close and save the old rags for the new techno age in the future this even include the tank
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #922
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhills View Post
Hi Yamalama :)

Yes I also got to that decision, I will get the girl a brand new set of close and save the old rags for the new techno age in the future this even include the tank
That colour looks great! Any chance of taking a couple more photos?

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #923
Hawkhills
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm View Post
That colour looks great! Any chance of taking a couple more photos?
Hi Dessert Storm, here some more photos

The first one is from the 500 km ride home at night, there was a storm this night and the side wind was brutal, taking over a truck with 140 kmh almost ended the adventure and the rest of the trip was done with 100 kmh.

The next 4 photos is taken at our adventure club just to testride a little on gravel and the forest floor, tires soon proved to slick and the bike felt very heavy (now after 1 week the bike feels much lighter and I'm more used to handle it )

The last photo is from today's ride with my son, just a ride of 150 km, but in nice weather and on some gravel and small bendy "black" roads, a good day out with a future adv rider i'm sure

Hawkhills screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 01:51 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #924
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,553
that is one very nice super ten

you are a lucky man to find such a good one
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #925
lamido
n00b

lamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #926
lamido
n00b

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #927
lamido
n00b

Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #928
lamido
n00b

Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #929
lamido
n00b

hi ..
These images of our trip my friend and I on our bikes firearms. .Despite the lack of capabilities ...But they were very nice during which we visited six cities in our country Sudan and come about 3122 km ...I wish I could accept me your friend ...
Lamido ... Sudan ... In Africa

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #930
lamido
n00b