Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
VstromNme OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Moab to Telluride vis John Brown Canyon - GPX??

Howdy all - I'm headed to Moab and some of us want to ride to Telluride and back one day via the John Brown Canyon. None of us have done it and I was wondering if there was a GPX file I could get? If not, any maps I could get? Maybe it's a simple ride, I don't know but, like a woman..... there is always a fork in the road and it's really good to know which one to take!

Thanks for your help!

One other thing - we will be there 4-10 through 4-17 so the other question is - will it be clear of snow?? If so - is there another route I cloud take that is less paved?
VstromNme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Ummm......that is a long round trip to do in a day ....you will most likely be riding at night for a significant amount of time.

Yes snow could be an issue

My advice...rethink...lots to ride in Moab...prime time.....way to early for Telluride riding.

Ride on

Scott
shrederscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,149
A friend and I rode John Brown Canyon to Moab a few years ago. It was mostly good graded gravel with some dry (thankfully) packed dirt in the higher elevations. Lots of sheep and the requisite sheep dogs that we had to slow down for. We left Grand Junction in the late afternoon and were in Moab by dinner time easily. Unless there's a variation on it that literally runs through the dry creekbeds that I'm missing, it's a nice, relaxed ride with spectacular views on the Utah side. I was on a KLR and he was on an R1150GS, and both bikes were loaded-up pretty heavily.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
Another '98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036981
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
VstromNme OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What time of year was that? We could do Grand Junction as an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
A friend and I rode John Brown Canyon to Moab a few years ago. It was mostly good graded gravel with some dry (thankfully) packed dirt in the higher elevations. Lots of sheep and the requisite sheep dogs that we had to slow down for. We left Grand Junction in the late afternoon and were in Moab by dinner time easily. Unless there's a variation on it that literally runs through the dry creekbeds that I'm missing, it's a nice, relaxed ride with spectacular views on the Utah side. I was on a KLR and he was on an R1150GS, and both bikes were loaded-up pretty heavily.

John
VstromNme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,149
First week of September.

edit: I was posting from my phone and didn't see that you were inquiring about April. I'll see if I have a .gpx file somewhere, but I suspect I don't. Going East to West, we just kind of guessed at the turns and it worked out. ;)

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
Another '98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036981

scarysharkface screwed with this post 03-26-2015 at 10:11 AM
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
Might not be open yet in April. If it is open, make sure it hasn't rained in the past few days.
The route is fairly direct. I don't have any gps info, but I'm sure you can pick up a map in Moab.
Not a big deal going to Telluride and back. I can do a loop including John Brown Canyon from Durango in less than 8 hours. Figure Moab to Gateway at 1.5 hours, Gateway to Norwood, another 1.5 hours, Norwood to Telluride an hour. Return to Moab via 145 and 191, 3.5 hours. Full day.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,616
Were you planning Moab to Gateway via John Brown then hwy 141 to Telluride? Probably will be clear based on current conditions. If you were planning to get on dirt via Divide Rd and taking that closer to Telluride, probably not.