Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
HelgiFTW OP
Enduro goldwinger

Oddometer: 10
Russian rider preparing to RTW (light version) on Tenere

Hello to everybody!
My name is Dmitry "Helgi" Markovich, I am from Moscow, Russia.

I just want to share with you my site about next year RTW(light) trip on my XT660Z (I hope to start the journey in May, 2015). I am not a very rich person, and I have to work sometimes, so in this trip I would not going to South America and Australia, and only barely touch Africa.. But it still rather interesting trip, I think)

I will be really glad to meet some of you in person while this trip, or even share some paths together (for example in Marocco or through the States). Could you also help me to make the best route, by adding points of interests in the Route section of this site. It is in a process of translating, but I hope that google translate could help you a bit also.

On my site there is only a GENERAL plan, not the real route. This is an Adventure of my life, and I would not change it for highways. For sure I will avoid main roads and will travel by country roads with interesting scenery and places around. That is why I made this map-maker on my site, and this is why I ask YOU to place the marks on that map, with interesting points that you know about) To have a collection to choose from.

http://ride-around.ru
Waiting for feedback, and for interesting ideas and places.
And sorry for my English
Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Thanks in advance for your help and support!
HelgiFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Hi

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer you execpt....HAVE A GREAT TRIP

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,666
Your route goes right by my house in California. When you get out this way, contact me.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,929
What a great way to make sure you don't miss anything on your trip! I'm adding a few things for you to keep in mind based on your route, although I realize that you won't be on the Interstates for as much as you've indicated. Feel free to write if you want more information!

By the way, your English is just fine

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!

DantesDame screwed with this post 02-01-2015 at 11:09 AM
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Your route looks good.

It doesn't look like you'll be passing through San Diego, but if you do, let me know and you have a place to stay.

Will be following your progress!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,768
That is a good general route considering that you have limited time. Of course, as you probably know, the roads indicated are "Inter State Highways" that are usually divided highways built for speed and not necessarily for seeing the country and meeting people.

Are you camping? Look at the "tent space" section of AdvRider that lists Inmates who will supply a site for camping along the way, plus much more. Also, if you keep your Ride Report up to date and real time you will find many people offering "Couch Space" as your ride progresses.

Unfortunately, you won't be traveling anywhere near me. Best of luck .
Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,929
Me again.

I've been placing some points of interest on the map, but not always near your route. I'm guessing that your route wasn't originally based on anything other than "Here to There", and than other options would be appreciated.

Question about the routing software - is that your design? It is great and I'd love to be able to use something like this for my eastern European trip later this year.

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Looks like a great trip! Do you have all the gear you need? I'm in Moscow, might have some spare stuff if you need it...
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
HelgiFTW OP
Enduro goldwinger

Thanks for your support!
I just have to say that the route on my site is not the REAL route, it is more IDEA. While I was creating this route, Google just draws the fastest lines. For sure I will avoid highways and will travel along by interesting country roads.
And that is why I asked for some points of interest, just because you could know a lot of them in your location, or just be interested by something.
And thereby I will construct my REAL path)

I will go by camping points, to reduce the overall costs..

Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
HelgiFTW OP
Enduro goldwinger

if you have any troubles with adding new points of interests, just let me know, i will try to fix it!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Let me know when you come by Chicago. If you get tired of that reliable Yamaha you can ride my Ural awhile.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Good luck on your awesome adventure, keep us posted, and like others said your English is really good ;-)
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,334
You should know that Yamaha does not sell the xt660z in the USA. I had 2 friends from England going RTW on two xt660z. We could not get parts as simple as spokes for their bikes here in the USA. We had to have custom spokes made to replace the broken spokes and provide spares for the rest of the trip. The same was true with swing arm bearings, which we ended up sourcing from a D-9 Caterpiller bulldozer in a bearing shop!

I'm in Southern California between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Contact me when you get near, we have a spare room and a place to work on your bike if needed.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #14
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Don't skip Utah

Your route takes you around the great state of Utah in the USA. Not a good call. I don't know what you have heard of our state. But it is built for great routes and wonderful desert vistas. If you reconsider your route I would love to show you around for a couple of days of exploring. You will not be disappointed.
Untitled
UntitledUntitledUntitled

I hope to see you in the desert southwest
Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
What a cool website you have, looks like you have a great trip ahead of you. Utah is a good state to visit if you can fit it in on your schedule.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote