Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Volusia23 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
last minute urgent advice luggage space on bike!

Hey, new here. I'm going on a 2 day camp tomorrow in which I'll by walking up a mountain. Things I'm taking:

2 man tent
Single sleeping bag
Single air mattress
Small stove with adapter for butane canisters
Small plate, mug, coffee etc
Clothes inc socks, underwear, jeans, thick jumper for mountain
Backpack for hiking (not suitable for wearing on bike)
Hiking boots
Tablet, phone and power bank and camera
Contact lens solutions and deodorant/tooth brush

I've uplloaded a pic showing my problem. There aren't many mounting points on the bike and only taking the above seems to use all my space up. In one saddlebag I can fit all my clothes and the backpack, that's it.
On the rear I have a small luggage rack which I dont want to overload too much. But that has the tent, sleeping bag, spare pegs, ground mat and bike cover. That leaves only one saddlebag for all my toiletries, hiking boots and tablet etc which won't fit.

Any tips? And even if I do manage it, I assume two up camping is out the window right? As that further reduces luggage space and she would have to take stuff too.
Bike is a vl800
Volusia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,865
You just ran into everyones problem...space.
A whole saddlebag for toiletries???
Tankbag.

or
Put the boots in the backpack. Tie on top of rear bag. If the backpack has a lot of hanging bits, put it in a bag/pillowcase.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
ride in your hiking boots and get rid of all the electronics that are toys!
don't bring the stove or any cooking stuff
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
The Aerostich people sell nylon strap's called frame loops. They are the front bungee mounts on my rides.
With a tank mounted speedometer, you could pull the windshield, zip tie some "D" rings on the forks (with scrap inner tube under the rings), and mount your sleeping bag over the headlight, pirate style. Plastic film over the headlight if your worried about scratching it. It's not a fairing, but more wind than you think goes over the bag. It works pretty good. Moves weight forward too, if you got a lot of stuff it helps. My camera, GPS, and paper map holder hang off the bag. Wherever your bag goes, it needs a compression stuff sack.
I have separate bags for my tent, bag, pad, foul weather stuff, cooking gear, and whatever. Would one large duffle be better? Doubt it, but don't really know.
On a big trip, an overloaded luggage rack will sooner or later break. For a weekend? pile it on.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #5
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 126
Hi you can easy strap tent, sleeping bag and matress on the back of your bike. For two days you dont really need much so even riding two up should not be a problem: http://reisemotorrad.eu/?report=en_ausruestung
Wear your hiking boots to ride, leave your cooking stuff at home and you should be fine.
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #6
Volusia23 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thought I had it nailed but failed at the last hurdle. Got a single air mattress and sleeping bag in one waterproof sack on the rear seat but u can't mount it. There are zero mounting holes in front and all I have at the back is the frame of the luggage rack to hook onto.
Was going to go today but bailed as it was an insecure load. Very frustrating
Volusia23 is offline   Reply With Quote