User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 828
Se"X"y 2.0. The X challenge rebuild.

Ok, lets start with clarifying that it is not a COMPLETE rebuild. No engine teardowns. But there are significant changes...

Here is how she looked the day I picked her up in Atlanta in May 2013.

It was a fly and ride you can read about it here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=883947&page=3
She may be seXy but she's no garage queen.

My plan is to modify the bike to look and perform better.
Here is a list of the planned mods.
1. New Lynx "R" fairing from Britannia Composites. http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...uctmenu/lynx-r
2. New rear shock from HyperPro. http://www.epmperf.com/hyperpro-motorcycle-shocks.htm
3. New Front wheel from Woody's Wheel Works. http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/BMWG650Xwheels.html
4. New seat from Seat Concepts. http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...tegory=1671353
5. New rear top rack from SW Motech. http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=1777
6. New Storm handguards. http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=1464
7. New (to me) exhaust from Reemus. Bought off ADV
8. New (to me) OEM header pipe that has been ceramic coated. Bought off ADV
9. Hope to put on a new clutch cover so I can find neutral again..http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...6&rnd=04282014
10. Heated Grips. http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/pr...productid=6657
11. Polisport universal Supermotard Fender. http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/pr...productid=2634

I will try to update this post as I proceed. However, anyone who knows me knows I'm not good with following through. I'll apologize now for whatever disjointed commentary comes from this;) I welcome all questions and/or comments/suggestions. I am no mechanic and will be doing all this in my basement, to my girlfriends chagrin.

I will also have a few items for sale that I hope I will be allowed to link to the post. They will include;
OEM air shock SOLD
Hepco Becker top rack SOLD
OEM seat cover and foam
OEM Exhaust
OEM header pipe
Cyra plastics
OEM headlight
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 04:22 AM
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 6,189
If there is nothing wrong with the air shock then I would recommend having the forks improved first, they will make the bigger difference to the bike. The air shock works pretty good with a decent set of forks on the front.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
If there is nothing wrong with the air shock then I would recommend having the forks improved first, they will make the bigger difference to the bike. The air shock works pretty good with a decent set of forks on the front.
And you must be into S&M too.....
Air shock sucks in my opinion. I have ridden it for two years so I didn't make a snap decision. I hope to do the front as well, eventually. For me the HyperPro was the easier, albeit pricier, option. Besides, I've already installed it ;)

All opinions respected however...you sick bastard
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 03:44 PM
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Seat

Here's an easy, and very worthwhile upgrade.
New foam and cover from Seat Concepts.

Easy enough to do. Remove old staples. I used an awl and needle nose pliers. Take off the old seat cover and foam. Check seat pan for any sharp spots. Sand down any spots that might wear foam or cover. Glue foam to pan with spray adhesive. Leave to dry. Put plastic cover over foam then install cover. Staple cover back on. Use an air stapler.
There was lots of extra material I had to cut away once finished. Can't wait to sit on this sofa;)

Old cover and foam for sale here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044456
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 02-20-2015 at 10:21 AM
Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Shock

And the Ultamate upgrade from Hyperpro

The shock installation is fairly simple. I undid my side racks to gain access. then remover the lower mud flap ( 2 screws).

Then just undo the upper and lower Allen bolts and out it comes...though the lower bolt is a bit of a PITA. It is recessed into the swing arm. There was a lot dirt in there. I also could not fit the Allen head socket into the recess so I had to use an Allen key. I used a piece of pipe to get enough leverage to loosen it.

Needles to say, this bolt is not torqued to specs. The nut on the other end of the bolt is a tight fit as well but a wrench fit easily. Be careful not to loose the washer behind the nut!

Upper bolt has a "pinned" (ie not loose) nut.
When installing the new shock you have to route the preload adjuster and remote reservoir lines BEFORE putting the shock in place. The preload adjuster mount mounts behind the heat sink on the right side. It seems well designed and was a simple install. The oil reservoir bracket, on the other hand, seems like a poorly thought out quick fix. Here is a picture of the bracket for the reservoir.
Here it is mounted on the bike

Hose clamps on a $1500 shock?? Notice the clearance issues with the exhaust and oil line
]

Why is the bracket not threaded, with the reservoir mounted with bolts, like the preload? Also, since I have side racks, there is a lot going on in the space where this is meant to be mounted. More pics to show later.

Old shock for sale here :http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041635
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 05:08 AM
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,537
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Hey Jimmy, where are YOUR pictures? Me likey the new fairing you got..
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile
Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,537
Hey thanks Bobber! It was literally a 15 minute plug n play mod, really pleased with it. But it's like a meat locker in the garage right now...soon as the perma-frost melts I take some shots.

Here's hoping for an early spring!
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Fairing

The "facelift" starts with just that, the face. A new Lynx "R" fairing from here: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...uctmenu/lynx-r
At the cost of a real rally fairing costing $2000 +, and requiring welding on parts, I opted for a less expensive Canadian option ;) So far I would highly recommend this company. Customer service is top notch!
Here is what I got;

It has the 35w HID projector low beam paired with a 20w Baja Designs Squadron LED High Beam.
I like the adjustable windshield and it's lighter than a full Rally fairing.

First things first. Remove the OEM headlight and trim. Easy peasy. Careful with all those electrical connectors. Remove the turn signals from the headlight assembly. You'll need to mount them to the upper triple clamp bolts later.

Installation is fairly simple though you cannot use the oem front fender. Not a great loss as the OEM fender is a bit of a sail. I bought a polisport universal supermotard fender, from aviciouscycle.ca, for $25 CAD. Time will tell how it performs.

The fairing is mounted to the bike at the bottom triple clamp via the fender mount (provided with the kit), and at the top by the included Composite dash, that is attached under the handlebar mounts on the bottom of the top triple. This is a bit tricky as there is not enough room to get a rachet into the right side bold. I simply removed the entire upper triple clamp. Be careful not to jack the front wheel off the ground without the triple on or your bearings might fall out. Ask me how I know...

The new fender is attached to the bottom triple with a bracket that is supplied. The bottom of the fairing attaches to the same bracket.
Once you've checked the fit, remove the dash and mount the OEM computer and any accessories. My unit came with the USB and BMW plug options. Holes must be drilled, so spend some time ensuring you get the outcome you want ;)

Once that's done, remount everything, plug in the wires and you are mostly done, with mounting the turn signals all that is left to do. They use the bolts for the upper triple clamp, and supplied bracket.

"I surrender!"

Mounting the computer on the dash

'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 05:50 AM
Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #10
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

The Header Pipe

Last year I had bought a "new to me" ceramic coated header pipe, to replace the "Rat Bike" wrapped pipe I got with the bike. Pipe wrap sucks!

I worried about this swap as I thought all the bolts would be corroded in place. in the end it was a super easy install!
I did pretreat all the bolts and screws with lube and let sit for a day.

from this

To this

'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 03-09-2015 at 09:43 AM
Old 03-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

New package arrived

And a "free" hat
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile
Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,369
Awesome thread - just put a seat-concepts on my EXC, very impressed with it compared to the stock enduro seat.

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
heli0z
SlackPacker

Oddometer: 10
Amazing mods! Seat concepts is next on the list for me, does it lower the seat compared to the stock high seat?

Would you happen to know the length of the hyperpro shock?
heli0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

SW Motech rear rack and luggage platform.

I had the Hebco Becker rear rack. Well made but it was not great for luggage and I didn't like the look..

The SM was not ment to work with the HB side racks but using a combination of spacers and some persuasion it all fit together.
From this;

To this;

I like the look.

And when I need more luggage I can add the platform.

'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile

BikerBobber screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 08:39 AM
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
BikerBobber OP
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli0z View Post
Amazing mods! Seat concepts is next on the list for me, does it lower the seat compared to the stock high seat?

Would you happen to know the length of the hyperpro shock?
As for the seat, though I have not been able to try it yet I was informed by Seat Concepts that the seat is the same height as OEM. They do not have a "lowered" version.

As for the shock, it is the same as the OEM air shock. I had mine lowered 1/2" for my stubby 30" inseam..
'07 Bmw X challenge
My rider profile