Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #1486
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
My lower back is super tight this morning. I've done some stretching but not sure if I'm doing it right.

(Laying on back, raising one leg at a time/knee to my chest, with the other leg straight and extended. Once I do each one, I do both at same time.

Any suggested stretches that may help my lower back before a ride?

Lie on your back and hook your left foot over your right knee, then with your right hand grab your left knee and in a twisting motion pull it to wards the floor. Repeat for other leg.

A sitting variation...

I do these for my lower back and find that they work well.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #1487
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Well I just got home from three weeks on the road with bad food and no exercise and now I'm off for about two. The weather here is about the perfect riding conditions as it's cooled off nicely, so what I'm trying to say is that I'm stoked about getting back on the pig. It just sucks that I'm going to be coughing up a lung for the first couple trying to get back in some sort of shape.

sincerely, the skinny fat man. (thin arms, thin legs with a gut)

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #1488
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,048
Thanks guys, I just tried them all. Gonna take some getting used to. I'm going to try and do these everymorning, right out of bed, and before any rides.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #1489
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirD
Well I just got home from three weeks on the road with bad food and no exercise and now I'm off for about two. The weather here is about the perfect riding conditions as it's cooled off nicely, so what I'm trying to say is that I'm stoked about getting back on the pig. It just sucks that I'm going to be coughing up a lung for the first couple trying to get back in some sort of shape.

sincerely, the skinny fat man. (thin arms, thin legs with a gut)

Great pic / makes me wish I could still mountain bike (actually access one from home..)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #1490
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirD
Lie on your back and hook your left foot over your right knee, then with your right hand grab your left knee and in a twisting motion pull it to wards the floor. Repeat for other leg.

A sitting variation...

I do these for my lower back and find that they work well.
I d that and my spine cracks!

Feels ggggrrrreeeeaaaatttt! Oh, and the back stops hurting for a bit too!

Oh, and IME a weak stomach = sore back. Situps/crunches/leg lifts (none of which I do on a regular basis) are your friend!

M
Old 09-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #1491
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

WHY is it so fucking HARD to find 3M Fastack?

Even better... WHY is it that the bike shop I went to just now pulled TWO Vittoria tubular glue tubes outta their bin, but came to me and said 'we only have one.' Me thinking: I just SAW you with two in yer hands, I told y'all I need two, fuck off! I'll go somewhere else!

What I said was: Nevermind. I'll find some Fastack.

Ugh. Like y'all are gonna need to glue someone's tubulars before yer next QBP order?!

I HATE being lied to no matter what the excuse!

Doubt I'm gonna go back to that shop for anything. Ever.

M
Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #1492
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The saga of the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs...

Or

How Gummee! couldn't find tubular glue within 20miles of Morgan Hill!

So no shit there I was... Wrenching on my bike the nite before a race. (yeah, I'm stoopit! ) Nothing major, just a cassette, wheel, and tire change. I COULD have done the big ring in the front, but I figger that I'm not gonna be in the big ring too much, so I'll leave the 50t on. I'm not anxious to have to adjust the F. Der. on race day, so I'm leaving the ring where it is.

Thankfully, I'm a mechanically inclined individual 'cause otherwise, I'd be hosed.

So, tomorrow's gonna be the first day I've ever raced cross on clinchers. Right now they're pumped up to ~45 psi ala Plan B's recommendation. Plan B Jr is gonna be racing, but Plan B hisself is out of town. I'm gonna hafta bust a gut outta here in the AM 'cause I gotta steal the GF-mobile to get the bike to the race 'cause I haven't figgered out a way to carry the bike on the RT yet.

I'm betting I'm gonna be too busy for pics, but I'll see what I can do. Plan B is the pro... Too bad he's not gonna be there!

M
Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #1493
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Everybody else must be out

Went racing this AM. Went better than expected, worse than hoped. Basically, I sucked, but wasn't DFL. Not being DFL was the goal and I accomplished that!

I knew I was going slow, so I moved outta the way of pretty much anyone that wanted by. Up to and including some of the people out on the course warming up. There should be some common courtesy 'bout that... But then, on the flip side, how you gonna see what the course is like without riding on it?

Got there a little late, registered, and proceeded to 'warm up.' My warm up consisted of riding up and down the hill at the start finish a few times, then making my way onto the course for most of a lap. Managed to get in front of someone racing and got offline on a bumpy section of the course and ended up bailing out over the bars. Trail 1, Gummee! 0.

We lined up at the start line in a group of about 40. I managed to snag a spot on the front row. By the top of the hill, I was pretty well DFL. I just don't have the intensity or fitness to go all out right now. This cough/cold is still with me, so I didn't wanna push TOO hard. Up, up, up we went. Gradual but still uphill. Got to the top and guess what?! Barrier. Off the bike, turn 180 degrees and go back DOWN the hill you just came up. Did I tell y'all about the sand? 'Bout took me down most laps as my front wheel oscillated wildly then hooked back up going any direction but straight. Ugh. Didn't crash in the race tho!

Left turn, down about 10m, right turn, back UP that 10m to a telephone pole laid across the trail. Killed ALL my momentum EVERY time I got there! Bastages!

The rest of the course was flat-ish ('cept for that hill I told y'all about) and wound thru a few baseball fields. There was one runup behind the backstop of the second field that kicked my ass. Wasn't too long, but steep! Man, took about every ounce of gumption in my being to get my fat ass over that thing every time I got there. And that includes the times I was trying to stay out of the way!

As you exited the second baseball field's infield, there was a straight 'false flat' and a set of 3 barriers. Towards the end, I couldn't even manage the energy required to run over em! Pooped I was!

Whoda thunk 45 min of riding a bicycle could be SO FARGING painful?

I can't wait till next week! Woot

Coupla things I discovered

1. I didn't have enough air in the Racing Ralphs. They felt OK, but lost traction and rolled over onto their sidewalls at strange times. Maybe next time I try 45-50psi.

2. I missed my Tufos. After a bunch of years (~2-3) riding em, I've gotten used to the way they break loose, ride, etc. Changing tires the nite before the race was I'll have em re-glued by next weekend.

3. I am WAY fat and out of shape. Nuff said. Specialized lunch rides, here I come!

4. I had a few mechanical issues that I wasn't expecting. Brake rubbing the front tire and a rear pad that got sucked under the rim. Took some of the wind outta my sails.

5. Gotta leave earlier. Rushing = bad

6. Not being able to get to sleep till 0200 isn't good either, but I woke up without a problem when Stick Me came home.

7. Did I mention fat and outta shape?

Oh well. Next week the goal is to get lapped one less time. By the end of the season, the goal is to not get lapped at all and/or actually RACE someone!

M
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #1494
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Nice

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #1495
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
105 or so miles on Sunday, much through an emasculating head wind.
I'm hungry.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #1496
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I'm hungry.
I think, if its possible, I like hills better'n headwinds. Hills end.

Even turning 180deg, lots and lots of times I end up with a headwind out AND back!

M
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #1497
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

You fuckers with all your wide open spaces kill me

I crammed in a 36 miler this wknd.... never mind the ass pains

I had this one snotty color coordinated women yell "passing on your left" as we were going up the hill. But I wasn't even trying.

So I turned on the old jets and zipped past her as she was cranking out of saddle. Yup, chivalry was dead that particular afternoon.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #1498
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I'm hungry.
Have a banana.

*snip Gummee's race and Perry's ride*

Now I'm all jealous...

I was a lazy bastard and spent Friday night drinking with some friends and missed the early Sat. ride. We had plans for Sunday so I'm riding home from work tomorrow. 10 mi tomorrow night and then 15 mi the next morning if I feel good.

I've got to hit 35 mi or so on Sunday morning... That metric century is coming up quick.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #1499
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
You fuckers with all your wide open spaces kill me
Open spaces? I'll take pics of my commute one of these days...

7 miles uphill on a two-lane road with cars parked on the right and land-yachts passing on the left. Then 2-3 miles downhill in the traffic lane trying to dodge 3" wide ruts in the asphalt at 30mph while 20' behind the car ahead...

I'll take an open space anyday.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #1500
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Have a banana.

*snip Gummee's race and Perry's ride*

Now I'm all jealous...

I was a lazy bastard and spent Friday night drinking with some friends and missed the early Sat. ride. We had plans for Sunday so I'm riding home from work tomorrow. 10 mi tomorrow night and then 15 mi the next morning if I feel good.

I've got to hit 35 mi or so on Sunday morning... That metric century is coming up quick.
Feh. All it is is a habit. Habits take ~30 days to make...

62 miles is nothin. Keep drinkin!

Oh, and y'all ever surf BARF of SBR? Lots of ruckus over on them sites about bicyclists up in the SC mountains... I'd be interested in yer take on the sityation.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: