Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #15001
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
OK, sorry for the mix-up. (BTW, my crashed Motobecane was also a Grand Record, began life with Shitmano 600 garbage I quickly wore through and slowly replaced with Campy SR. Then crashed and it became a hat-rack for a while...)
mine started life with campi nuovo record (classic) derailleurs and shifters, but an assortment of other parts. I think it had a campi crank too, but the brakes were some other kinda crap that I upgraded. sewup wheels on Atom hubs (JUNK!). In 75, the jap stuff hadn't really shown up yet on higher end road bikes, that happened pretty fast over the next couple years with suntour's derailleur being much better at handling wide gear ranges.

Quote:
I too have a stuck seat post and did some reading. In my case this thing is stuck, I suspect because the elderly grease on the post did not stand up to the humidity in the garage where the bike hung out for the last , well, forever... I am told ammonia will break the corrosion and free up the post.

I'll get it a try tonight and get some pictures. I need to pull the seat post to pack the bike for travel. Back to the PNWet yet again.
that should be a little easier. at least I don't care about my seatpost, I want it gone, so I can get as brutal on it as I dare. ugh, just checked, its a steel seatpost (and an aluminum frame). which expands faster when its heated, steel or aluminum ?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #15002
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
mine started life with campi nuovo record (classic) derailleurs and shifters, but an assortment of other parts. I think it had a campi crank too, but the brakes were some other kinda crap that I upgraded. sewup wheels on Atom hubs (JUNK!). In 75, the jap stuff hadn't really shown up yet on higher end road bikes, that happened pretty fast over the next couple years with suntour's derailleur being much better at handling wide gear ranges.

that should be a little easier. at least I don't care about my seatpost, I want it gone, so I can get as brutal on it as I dare. ugh, just checked, its a steel seatpost (and an aluminum frame). which expands faster when its heated, steel or aluminum ?
Mine was late 80's

And my stuck seat post is Campy SR, so I care a bit about recovering it. The bike it is stuck in is my old team bike. Treviso Itallia, Pinarello so I am proceeding with caution. Don't want to buy the next bike I want quite yet.

Aluminum expands more than steel by about 3X.
Maybe a heat gun on the frame and a block of dry ice on the post?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #15003
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,885

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #15004
pierce
Aven'Tourer

omg, this is like a disease.

went out at lunch today hitting the local recycled bike shops looking for some 700c wheels and stuff. found another bike instead, its not complete, but it has decent 700c wide rim wheels (rims are labeled 28x1-sumtin, but they had fat 700c tires on them, which I replaced with 700x40's that fit sweet) and the seat post isn't terminally jammed in. guy in used bike shop said it was gonna cost him over $100 to fix up and wouldn't probably sell for more than $150 anyways, so he let me have it as-is for $45, hah.

wanna change out the handlebars. already got a seatpost and new tires on it, and need to put v-brakes (has posts already), rear derailleur, chain on it, I'll probably swap out the cranks too, as it has those cheap riveted triple-rings, and I'm just going to turn it onto a 7-speed. mild bummer, its a threaded on freewheel and not a cassette, but ah well. its notably lighter than my existing fat-tire cruiser, these wheels should roll great. I've got to true up the rear a bit, but its a 36 spoke wheel with heavy stainless spokes, so it should be pretty easy.

(chainless, brakeless, etc)

so... this makes TEN bicycles, EEEK.

edit: hah! stuck those bars on a little longer gooseneck (more forward), and since they had one old brake lever on them already, I stuck a junk spare V-brake I had lying around on the front wheel, and shortened the funky chain it had and hooked it up as a midrange fixie, and shit, this is gonna be a good ride when I get it tweaked out. I think I want slightly straighter bars, maybe a little wider, like some modern mtn bike bars, and a lower long gooseneck (the one I had lying around was kinda high), and it will be perfect. a pseudo-cruiser that can book across the flatlands, and still climb a hill if I have to. heck, I might just keep the 3-speed front, since the 7-speed freewheel cluster on this wheel isn't nearly as high range as I'd like for a 7-spd.

I do believe its a 1999 Diamondback, originally this cheap thing
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...kway&Type=bike

if thats correct, the cluster is a 13-28, and the front is a 28/38/48

pierce screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 04:48 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #15005
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Well, if you need to ditch a few, we can help.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #15006
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,674
The frame looks different. No angle with the top bar and wheel stay, or whatever the top bars to the rear axle are called.

I'll repeat again here... The V7 is set up for lightweight/entry level riders.
-Todd at GuzziTech
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #15007
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
The frame looks different. No angle with the top bar and wheel stay, or whatever the top bars to the rear axle are called.
I think Pilot's right, that isn't bike #10. The 2001 or 2002 look more like your bike than the 1999 does. Gratz on the sweet score!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #15008
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,344
Seat Post Success

Out at last!

The yucky part:

All cleaned up and ready for grease

All greased and ready to go back in

All done save the final adjustments
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #15009
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I think Pilot's right, that isn't bike #10. The 2001 or 2002 look more like your bike than the 1999 does. Gratz on the sweet score!
this is a XS, 15"

the parts that are still on it match the 1999. even has Z chain. has a sunrace 13-28 7-speed freewheel. shimano branded cheep triple-crank. etc.

its been fun riding around my driveway as a fixie, in a 38-18 kinda gear (not sure what rear I shortened the chain to, but one bigger needed a half link, so I put it in 4 out of 7). even kinda like the bars after playing with them and two different stems I had kicking around, but I think I want a lower more forward stem with a straighter bar. I even flipped the bars over to be track style, hahahaha, since there's only one brake lever on them right now, was easy. slapped some oury fat soft grips on there.

the michelin 'city' 700x40's I got ride sweet. I need to fix a spoke and true the back wheel. :-/

its got fender and rack inserts on the back, and fender mounts on the front.

bunch of Taiwan parts on it, the bearings feel decent quality, but the back axle needs tightening a hair. threaded headset looks pretty heavy duty, too.

the rims say 28x1-5/8", and some odd taiwan brand. the sunrace 7-speed freewheel is heavy :(

btw, I do believe I'm swearing off gumwalls. the tires that were on this bike had plenty of tread, but the gumwalls were totally rotted out and sidewalls were frayed and splitting in places.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #15010
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Out at last!

*NICE*.... except for the high state of polish, that looks a hella lot like the old campy seat post in my motobecane... except mine is the older nuovo record, not the fluted super-record
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #15011
pilot
Slacker Moderator

That seat looks anything but comfortable, but I test rode a Specialized Hard Rock yesterday, and it actually felt pretty good.

I did five miles this morning and the Cloud 9 seat I have wasn't feeling too good. The more I ride, the more I realize that seat should be on a tricycle at a trailer park in Texas.

-Todd at GuzziTech
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #15012
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Got a rack for my wife's bike a few weeks ago.

So the other day I made this block to rest things on with so extra hooks for strapping.

Just gotta figure out what color to stain/seal it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #15013
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Got a rack for my wife's bike a few weeks ago.

So the other day I made this block to rest things on with so extra hooks for strapping.

Just gotta figure out what color to stain/seal it.
Perfect, you made her a cutting board. Does she park it in the kitchen?

-Todd at GuzziTech
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #15014
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Perfect, you made her a cutting board. Does she park it in the kitchen?
Stop it.

You're going to get me in trouble!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #15015
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
talked to my neighbor the boilermaker/welder. says he thinks it should do just fine, but he's busy til Sunday... So I stripped off an inch of paint on all sides of the split, which actually goes halfway around the tube. When I pulled the seat post out, I realized, oh crap, its NOT as long as I thought, there was probably just about 5" in the tube, and the crack is just about where it ended... It *used* to go 8" in, but I jacked the seat up another 3" to get better leg extension for my recent round of rides leading up to yesterdays 25ish miler... I'm pretty sure I know how it bent too, I hit a rather serious bump I didn't see and landed kinda hard on the seat. the aluminum post is bent a bit too.

dayum, I need to lose weight.

hey, anyone know anything about Jamis bikes? someone is selling a frame+fork for a Jamis 'commuter'... something like this, http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...uter&Type=bike

looks to have a seatpost, quill, and crankset in his pic, too.

I'm sorta wondering if I could get away with 26x1.9 wheels in a frame meant nominally for 700x38. that or I'll have to score a set of 700c wheels, ideally 36 spoke, at least in back.
IF you have disc brakes, the wheel size is irrelevent. If you have rim brakes, yer stuck with whatcha got.

The exception is 27" to 700c. You can get a an adaptor for that.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: