Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.37 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #15016
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
That seat looks anything but comfortable, but I test rode a Specialized Hard Rock yesterday, and it actually felt pretty good.

I did five miles this morning and the Cloud 9 seat I have wasn't feeling too good. The more I ride, the more I realize that seat should be on a tricycle at a trailer park in Texas.
You have NO IDEA how many times I've told people that the sooper-dooper ultrasoft seat they want on their bike ain't the right one for actually RIDING the thing. They don't listen, so I stopped tryin to 'splain and just let em find out on their own. Don't listen to the dood that's been doing this for 20+ years!

The ultra-soft gel seats end up putting pressure on spots that don't need/want pressure. Prolly OK for putting around the court, but not for 'riding.'

Oh, and the more upright you are, the more pressure yer putting on yer ass. The more 'roadie' you get, the more yer legs actually help support you. Oh, and the faster you go, the more this last little bit comes into play.

1 more thing: the more upright you are, the more yer using the thighs. The more 'aero' you are, the more yer using the biggest muscles in yer body: the gluteous maximus.

HTH

M
Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #15017
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Out at last!

The yucky part:

All cleaned up and ready for grease

All greased and ready to go back in

All done save the final adjustments
You scrape out the nasties from the inside of the seattube? That's gonna help too.

M
Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #15018
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You have NO IDEA how many times I've told people that the sooper-dooper ultrasoft seat they want on their bike ain't the right one for actually RIDING the thing. They don't listen, so I stopped tryin to 'splain and just let em find out on their own. Don't listen to the dood that's been doing this for 20+ years!
heh, yeah. that Specialized 'comfort' bike I got my wife a week or two back, came with the softest seat I've ever seen... its like a pillow. of course, it feels great when a non-rider sits on it in the store. one 5 mile ride around the west cliff drive later, and she was complaining, so I whipped out the not-nearly-as-soft Woman's "Unity" seat I'd just got for her old bike and popped it on, way way better. still a fatty seat, but with a narrower front, and without the stupid springs in back (where springs might be on a springer seat, this one has elastomer pads so it takes the harsh out without actually changing angles).

meanwhile, what you said about 26 vs 700c I already figured out, duh! was using the wrong ISO #'s in my head (was thinking it was 630 vs 622, oops, no, its 622 vs 559!), but I'm way way past that already and have a pair of 700c rims already mounted up with nice new 40c Michelin City tires, and am dumping the jamis frame in favor of this Diamondback that had the 700c wheels attached, hah.

now, the wheels for the diamondback are 36 spoke with Taiwan hubs and rims from circa 1999... and the back wheel has a broken spoke I'm gonna get fixed. bikepedia says the wheels are...
Hubs: Joy Tech Q/R
Rims: Kin Lin, 36-hole (labeled 28x1-3/8")
Spokes: Shuhn Lih stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Upon further inspection the back axle is slightly bent, but I can replace that easily enough, but I'm a little worried that these wheels are basically junk. the bearings on the well adjusted front -feel- really smooth and snug, the hubs and flanges look well enough machined, some kind of black anodized aluminum (I think). the back rim is remarkably straight considering there's a broken spoke, I chalk that up to 36 spokes using a lot less tension than fewer spoked wheels.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #15019
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Got a rack for my wife's bike a few weeks ago.

So the other day I made this block to rest things on with so extra hooks for strapping.

how come the front of the rack isn't attached to those two bolts on the side of the seat stays?

Also, why such a thick block? Thats just dead weight. I'd have used some hardwood ply under 1/4" thick.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #15020
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
how come the front of the rack isn't attached to those two bolts on the side of the seat stays?

Also, why such a thick block? Thats just dead weight. I'd have used some hardwood ply under 1/4" thick.
I'm working on that, the rack just came with a single piece that was way too short. I'm not too worried at the moment though, it takes a respectable amount of force to make it shift forwards or back already.

I had the .75" sittin around.

The block itself is maybe a pound to pound and a half, I don't think it'll make a noticeable difference on an already heavy bike.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #15021
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
My trusty steed for the last 10-12 years.

1st Gen Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Zokes Z3 coil/oil shock
Thomson stem+post
Race Face cranks
Avid mechanical disk
Sun Rhyno Lyte rims
Smattering of XT and XTR components

Here she is in street garb....I mostly use her now for putting about with the wife....did 10 miles today. I have knobbies for the dirt but am in no way, shape or form ready for a dirt ride.

Being a 1st gen frame it's bulletproof with welds the size of dimes...the build quality is amazing...America used to put out some fantastic aluminum.

It also means it does not have tabs in the chain/seatstays for a rear disk. So'k, could do worse than the XTR V-brake.

No, I've never run it single-speed. Way too much of a pussy.

Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #15022
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I'm working on that, the rack just came with a single piece that was way too short. I'm not too worried at the moment though, it takes a respectable amount of force to make it shift forwards or back already.
it may seem sturdy enough on your gargage floor, but when the bike is running down a rough road, there's a lot of vibration, it WILL loosen up and cause problems.

, most any bike shop should have some long chrome twisted-end strap things that go to those allen screws (m5 thread) on the top of the outside of the 'seat stays' (the thin tubes that go from the seat to the back axle). you bolt a pair of these to the bottom of the front of the rack with a pair of nuts-n-bolts (preferably m5 allen cap screws for consistency, with nylock style nuts on the bottom), and leave them loose temporarily so they can slide front rear, also loosen the lower bolts that hold the rack to the bike, then curve the straps til they reach said upper seat stay rack mount points... bolt them up there, then slide the rack front-rear til its square, tigthen the bolts that hold the straps to the rack, then tigthten the lower supports.

like, see the two chrome things sticking out of the rack to the right of this pic? thats what I'm talking about...
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #15023
pierce
Aven'Tourer

heh, my diamondback conversion is coming along. frame got the first couple coats of Sunrise Red (Rustoleum rattlecan).

got the rear wheel sorted, got a new axle for it... the bottom bracket adjuster is frozen in place so I'll probably have to take it to the bike shop and have them yank out the old bottom bracket and put in a new one. ah well.

the hubs turn out to be steel, and the rear wheel bearing races are in great shape. this ain't no dura-ace or ultegra crap, but it should make me a good round-townie.

meanwhile, my old cruiser should be getting welded tomorrow... I think I'll steal some of the good parts on it, and replace them with cheezier parts, then quick sell it to someone a lot lighter than me :)

I know, a 7 speed 26" bomber bike ain't worth that much
Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #15024
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
it may seem sturdy enough on your gargage floor, but when the bike is running down a rough road, there's a lot of vibration, it WILL loosen up and cause problems.

, most any bike shop should have some long chrome twisted-end strap things that go to those allen screws (m5 thread) on the top of the outside of the 'seat stays' (the thin tubes that go from the seat to the back axle). you bolt a pair of these to the bottom of the front of the rack with a pair of nuts-n-bolts (preferably m5 allen cap screws for consistency, with nylock style nuts on the bottom), and leave them loose temporarily so they can slide front rear, also loosen the lower bolts that hold the rack to the bike, then curve the straps til they reach said upper seat stay rack mount points... bolt them up there, then slide the rack front-rear til its square, tigthen the bolts that hold the straps to the rack, then tigthten the lower supports.

like, see the two chrome things sticking out of the rack to the right of this pic? thats what I'm talking about...
Yeah, the rack on my bike has the same straps.

I'll look for them next time I go to the LBS. I put some loctite on the bolts holding it on right now.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #15025
pierce
Aven'Tourer

OMG, its....
RED

muahaahaa. k, gonna have to leave it hanging there a couple days for the paint to properly cure, because I put on a lot of thin coats back to back. I didn't do the best prep job, I hate sanding and stuff. but after beating it up with 100 then 180 grit open-coat (paint ripper stuff) I had taken all the glaze off the old paint, so I wiped it down with turpentine, let it dry, hung it in the sun, and hit it with the good old Rustoleum Sunrise Red.

I do believe its gonna be a keeper. scrounged a straight bar and found a vintage suntour friction thumb shifter like the ones I'd posted, yeah, I love those.

I think I'm gonna take most of the new bits off my old cruiser, and put them on here (derailleur, brakes, brake levers), then find junk to put on my old cruiser after the frame gets welded up, slap a old seat on it, and turn around and sell it for what I can get, hopefully $100 or so. its a great ride around town. new bike will get rack, fenders in the wet season, and be a good city bike.

I repacked the rear hub after I got the busted spoke replaced and had the old-bike-guy true it up for me. them joytech taiwan hubs are pretty cheap, took about 8 tries to get the bearings set halfway decent. I can see in my future a proper set of 700c wheels...

I gave the old-bike-guy the Jamis frame with the stuck seat post. hahaha, worst case, you cut off the old post flush with the frame, and bore it out to some standard size, slot the back, toss a clamp on it, and leave the 2" stub in there.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #15026
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
No, I've never run it single-speed. Way too much of a pussy.

single speeds are for flatlanders :-p
Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #15027
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,868
Death of a Wheel

These old 36H campy SR low flange hubs, and Mavic rims have been rolling under me since way way back. We crashed outside Winter Park Colorado one sunny Saturday morning and bent every tube in my Motobecane Grand Record. and cracking the seat tube at the bottom bracket. That was the result of an unidentified racer coming out of the back of the too large pack on the two lane highway, passing the peleton in the on-coming lane, (having crossed the double yellow lines), his diving back into the pack at the front crashed them, and the group behind ran into them, and so on. Soon there was a rising wall of tumbling bicycles and cyclists. I was straight armed slid back off my saddle and braking hard to avoid this disaster, when I was struck full force by a racer head down and sprinting! He and his bike pushed me onto my front wheel now I was sliding on one wheel toward a sliding and spinning downed racer with his scalp opened up like book. At the last instant to gain some steering control I let off my brake and turned into his body which flipped me over the pile, land on my still gripping the brake lever, fist. Breaking the index finger of the left hand.
The Grand Record became a Ciocc Crit bike. That bike was crushed between the roof "Oscar's Car", and the garage door. And the wheels rolled under the Pinarello.

This is the documentation of their end,

I used to destroy these Regina Freewheels, the last one took a toll on Mount Evans. The body of the freewheel would fracture and I'd wrap thick weeds between the cogs and the spokes to get me home. This time I was descending form 14,000 feet 28 miles back to my car down outside of Idaho Springs.

It begins,

The bearings don't feel near as good as I remember. I'll need to get in there and take a look, and get that garage grime off there while I'm at it.

After I finished this task, I went down to the LBS and picked up some things to prep the Pinarello for it's trip into the PNWet for the next year or so...
New brake cables, housing and bar tape. Even some new pedals.

My taping job is pretty awful, I am well out of practice.

So, then I went for a ride. I was supposed to get out to Corona and meet Paul to ride motorcycles down to Long Shadow Winery for the evening's live music and some chow. I lost track of time and then rode off without my cell phone so that as I walked the bike back into the garage I heard my Droid go off...My bicycle computer was telling me the time was about noon, which I was sure was wrong but not five hours wrong...

So, no wine for me this time. But I got a great hour's workout about 14 miles, leaving my heart pounding three hours later. I live up a hill.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #15028
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #15029
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head

The bearings don't feel near as good as I remember. I'll need to get in there and take a look, and get that garage grime off there while I'm at it.
the old campy grease probably turned into cheese

yah, tear them puppies down, clean everything out, repack, and I bet they dial in and spin just fine.

I need to do the same to the hubs on my motobecane

edit; speaking of...

the old style campy rear dropouts, with the little screw stop ... on my grand record, one of those is like busted off and bent, and the other is pretty much rusted solid. can those be replaced?

(googles, oh. http://00eda5d.netsolhost.com/sundry.html k, $30 for the pair.)

I have got to do something with that bike. its pretty beat on, all the chrome bits are full of rust spots, the paint is beat up everwhere, and the bottom of the downtube has thick goobers of some kinda white enamel that I ran through in 1980 or so and never got off. the wheels are still straight (superchampion gentleman rims on campy nuovo record hubs, dt double butted spokes) but the bearings are a little crusty. the bike needs to be totally torn apart and cleaned up. My son wants to take it to college next Fall, but I'm afraid Arcata will be harsh on a classic, and its too pure of a retro bike, shoot, I still have an Avocet brand seat on it (after riding on brooks for years, I much preferred the avocet, which were the first of the modern seats).

pierce screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 10:17 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #15030
pierce
Aven'Tourer

anyone dealt with these guys? http://www.bicycleclassics.com/

they don't even have a web store, they want to do business by email

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: