ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 502 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #15046
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
The complete Apex groupset is less than $800.

Road levers: $344
Crank and BB: $143
Calipers: $70
Chain: $37
Cassette: $83
FD: $45
RD: $72

They offer some crazy cassettes; all the way to 11/36.
my complete bike will cost maybe $200 and thats cuz I bought some new stuff when i shoulda scrounged more used
frame+wheels+stem: $45
long seat post $25 (new)
straight bar: $5
rear derailleur: $0 (had it)
front derailleur: $10 for a used Tiagra
brakes: $0 (had the shimano v-brakes and tekro levers already)
shifters: $10 for a pair of 80s vintage Suntour friction thumb shifters
seat: $0 (had it)
tires: $60 (new, michelin city 700x40)
crankset: $60 (new from ebay, FSA Vero Compact, shoulda gone used)
BB: $25 (new shimano sealed, from LBS)
can of red rattle paint: Priceless!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #15047
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
anyone here riding with a compact double front, like a 50-34T ? how is it shifting? seems like a big jump to me, but I haven't got the parts in to build it yet, so what do I know?
Shifts just fine - but I hate the ratio - I always feel like I'm in between the big and little rings!
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #15048
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Shifts just fine - but I hate the ratio - I always feel like I'm in between the big and little rings!
yeah, i was wondering about that. for me, on a semi-fattire bike like I'm building, I'm betting a 44 or 46 front will be about the max I'd want to pedal with a 13 rear... so, worse case, I get new chain ring and have a 46-34 front with either a 13-28 or 13-32 rear.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #15049
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 32,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Go hit u-tube and search for some of the 2003 & 2004 (IIRC) Tour videos

Jan Ulrich = 60rpm
Lance Armstrong. = 90-110rpm

Be somewhere in the middle.

Aktooly, Greg LeMond climbed at a lower cadence and so did Eddy Merckx. Both were fantastic cyclists, so you don't HAVE to ride at a super high cadence. Helps. ...but you don't hafta.

Me? I can ride up to appx 200rpm on a fixie downhill, but prefer 90-ish.

M
I think the most important thing for newer riders is to try a different cadences to find the one that works for them. You need a special computer to give you an accurate count. If you don't have the cadence counter, just consciously spin at different rates. My best rides end up with a cadence count in the mid 80's.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #15050
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I think the most important thing for newer riders is to try a different cadences to find the one that works for them. You need a special computer to give you an accurate count. If you don't have the cadence counter, just consciously spin at different rates. My best rides end up with a cadence count in the mid 80's.
if you're low tech, use a wristwatch or something with a second hand, and count both leg strokes for 1 full minute, and divide by two. or just count one leg and use that as-is.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #15051
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Shifts just fine - but I hate the ratio - I always feel like I'm in between the big and little rings!

+1
I went from a triple to a standard double, which I knew would be too much for me, to a compact. I actually prefer the triple. Now that I'm in to the middle of riding season, I could probably get away with putting the standard double back on, but that last hill coming up to the house is pure hell on me.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #15052
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
+1
I went from a triple to a standard double, which I knew would be too much for me, to a compact. I actually prefer the triple. Now that I'm in to the middle of riding season, I could probably get away with putting the standard double back on, but that last hill coming up to the house is pure hell on me.
I've got one of those. 300' climb in .7 miles, blind turns with zero shoulder and car-n-trucks going 50 in a 35 zone. eeeek.

I've been driving down the hill and riding from there.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #15053
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
+1
I went from a triple to a standard double, which I knew would be too much for me, to a compact. I actually prefer the triple. Now that I'm in to the middle of riding season, I could probably get away with putting the standard double back on, but that last hill coming up to the house is pure hell on me.
I made the change when I was kinda in shape and my front derailleur was misbehaving so I never used the granny gear anyway. I had a warranty issue on my front cranks and had the bike shop make the switch instead of putting on another triple. Now I'm in worse shape and the triple would be nice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #15054
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I made the change when I was kinda in shape and my front derailleur was misbehaving so I never used the granny gear anyway. I had a warranty issue on my front cranks and had the bike shop make the switch instead of putting on another triple. Now I'm in worse shape and the triple would be nice.
do you know if they had to change the bottom bracket to maintain chainline, or do all the different crankset types center on the same chainline when put on the same BB axle?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #15055
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
do you know if they had to change the bottom bracket to maintain chainline, or do all the different crankset types center on the same chainline when put on the same BB axle?
I think they had to replace the BB too. I had to pay for some of this change, but since it was warranty work, most of it was paid for by Trek.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #15056
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,322
It's been a great week to go riding.

But I've gotten malaised.

I know it'll feel good to get out and do it, but I keep putting it off.

Maybe tonight, I like night riding.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #15057
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I think the most important thing for newer riders is to try a different cadences to find the one that works for them. You need a special computer to give you an accurate count. If you don't have the cadence counter, just consciously spin at different rates. My best rides end up with a cadence count in the mid 80's.
I started road riding about 4 years ago and bought a computer with a cadence sensor. Back then I was comfortable spinning at about 80-82rpm. About a year later, my cadence pickup fell off and I didn't replace it for about 2 years. Finally put it back on about a month ago and was shocked to see that my typical cadence is now right at 90rpm. I guess my legs knew what they were doing all on their own.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #15058
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
It's been a great week to go riding.

But I've gotten malaised.

I know it'll feel good to get out and do it, but I keep putting it off.

Maybe tonight, I like night riding.
The weather here has been unseasonably cool. It's been great! No midweek rides for me this week, but I'll pay for it on Saturday. 70mi planned with a shorter recovery ride set for Monday. Sunday is reserved for beer/BBQ/July 4th fun.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #15059
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Stuck in the city with your mountain bike? No Worries! Do a little "Urban Downhill" Mexican style...

Be sure to get permission BEFORE riding through someone's house!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #15060
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Stuck in the city with your mountain bike? No Worries! Do a little "Urban Downhill" Mexican style...
Damn! That's intense.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015