Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #15076
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy
That's. Just. So. Awesome!

All this time I've been thinking you needed a trials or mountain bike to do that kind of stuff, but now we can all go out and practice it, no?
The stuff along the cliff and down that big face and along the bridge give me the willies. I am not a fan of high places.

If I lean against a wall or my work bench I can just about balance myself sort of like that guy.
But, then I have to take a quick dab before falling over on my side and flopping around in the garage.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #15077
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Sounds like climbing Mt. Diablo up here. An hour and a half up, 15 minutes down.

Evil Genius, I keep those baby wipes in my gear bag and wipe in my stinky areas after a ride, immediately after a ride. You might be wise to do the same if you have difficulty with athelete's foot. Clean the tootsies then apply fresh non cotton socks. Cotton socks stay wet and help the little critters grow.

I like socks from Sock Guy because they come in all kinds of neat designs and are thin.
Merino. Cool in the summer. Warm in the winter. Don't stink.

I'm migrating my baselayers over to merino too for those 'less than scorching' days.

Makes for great MC riding stuff too!

HTH

M
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #15078
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Over the weekend I managed to sneak in three hours of riding. And hard enough riding to leave my heart racing three hours after getting off the bike.

Tonight and tomorrow I'll miss riding but should be able to grab an evening or two riding before i have to have the bike packed.

I'll have to ride the big pig of a mountain bike come the weekend.
Heart racing after = dehydration too. Drink more.

ESPECIALLY if you have tendencies to high BP anyway. DAMHIK

M
Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #15079
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
The stuff along the cliff and down that big face and along the bridge give me the willies. I am not a fan of high places.

If I lean against a wall or my work bench I can just about balance myself sort of like that guy.
But, then I have to take a quick dab before falling over on my side and flopping around in the garage.
Last time I tried to ride a wheelie on my road bike, I looped the thing.

That was in 2004...

I'm still trying to find the balance point on the mtn bike. I useta be able to ride a wheelie for a LONG ways 'back when.' I know its about the balance point. Problem is: I'm skeered to loop it again. That hurt! I'm great with lofting the front wheel over pretty much anything, its just the riding of said wheelie that gets me.

M
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #15080
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Heart racing after = dehydration too. Drink more.

ESPECIALLY if you have tendencies to high BP anyway. DAMHIK

M
I drank plenty, had to stop twice and pee.

OK, maybe that's cause I'm old besides being slow.

Back in the day when I actually rode a bit, my resting pulse was about 25bpm, and my BP was around 90 over 50. That is no longer the case, thanks to a decade and a bit in a cube.

The ride out from the house is down the hill, (17%, hitting a top speed of 45 mph, no pedaling!) out toward the ocean so there is almost always wind in my face. Over the weekend this was about a 10 to 12 mph force to work against. My normal routine is to ride out the path for an hour or so, (last summer I was up to an hour and a half out after work), then turn around and ride home. I take the shallower, and longer route back up my hill, though this still has some steep little steps to get over.
Even with the wind, an hours ride will get me to the Anaheim Pond, or at least that is what they used to call it, maybe now, it's called the Honda Center. This is a good turn around point since there is a toilet there.

When I ride the mountain bike that hour out seems to not get me as far. but the ride back up the hill is a bit easier. And I get to take the dirt route down under the bridge.
Smugmug
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #15081
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Last time I tried to ride a wheelie on my road bike, I looped the thing.

That was in 2004...

I'm still trying to find the balance point on the mtn bike. I useta be able to ride a wheelie for a LONG ways 'back when.' I know its about the balance point. Problem is: I'm skeered to loop it again. That hurt! I'm great with lofting the front wheel over pretty much anything, its just the riding of said wheelie that gets me.

M
I can't wheelie the mountain bike worth a damn.
Smugmug
Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #15082
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy
That's. Just. So. Awesome!

All this time I've been thinking you needed a trials or mountain bike to do that kind of stuff, but now we can all go out and practice it, no?
just don't use carbon fiber wheels, unless you wanna end up on www.bustedcarbon.com

meanwhile.... started putting my project together.

I do believe I'm going with a closer/higher gooseneck, but only a couple inches of each.

its going to be a 14-speed, with a 50-34 FSA compact front, and a 13-32 IRD rear (thats a chinese 13-28 on it now). v-brakes and I found a pair of vintage Suntour thumbshifters (friction),

*sloppy* paint-job, I have no patience for doing proper prep work.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #15083
pierce
Aven'Tourer

better fit with this gooseneck. I hate waiting for parts (favorite LBS was out of 122x68 Shimano BB's)

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #15084
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
meanwhile.... started putting my project together.

I do believe I'm going with a closer/higher gooseneck, but only a couple inches of each.

its going to be a 14-speed, with a 50-34 FSA compact front, and a 13-32 IRD rear (thats a chinese 13-28 on it now). v-brakes and I found a pair of vintage Suntour thumbshifters (friction),

*sloppy* paint-job, I have no patience for doing proper prep work.
Nice. Can't see any paint flaws in the photos, but I'm not looking too hard. 14 should be plenty for a cruiser. Good work. Oh, IMHO the kickstand doesn't fit too well.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #15085
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,032
Opinions?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/1816506797.html
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #15086
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
better fit with this gooseneck. I hate waiting for parts (favorite LBS was out of 122x68 Shimano BB's)

That right there is pretty close to art.

Very nice.
Smugmug
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #15087
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Judy = mid-90s. Bout the same time as the headshoks came out. If it has the o-size headtube, lemme know. I may have parts for ya fer cheep.
$100 is a decent deal, but be ready for that o-size thing an proprietary parts

Go for it. If it has disc mount (doubtful) it'll be a better deal

HTH

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #15088
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,032
I think I'll wait till I get back from West Fest. A hundred bucks is a couple days on the road.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #15089
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Nice. Can't see any paint flaws in the photos, but I'm not looking too hard. 14 should be plenty for a cruiser. Good work. Oh, IMHO the kickstand doesn't fit too well.
hahaha, the paintjob is really sloppy. there's scratch marks from 100 grit and a wire brush under it, there's places where its rough because I didn't get all the glue off from the decals, etc etc. If I really cared, I'd sand it some more, treating this coat as primer, then hit it again, and then clear coat it. but I don't. its red, goal accomplished. this way I don't care when I chip/scratch it.

I went out there with a tape measure again, measured BB center to top of seat post at max safe extension and realized while its fine for comfort riding, its about 2" short of where I like to be for speed/distance riding. so I need a 400mm seatpost and not the 350mm its got. found one on amazon for $17, heh. (26.0 mm is kind of an old/odd size, was tough to find)

so now I'm waiting on... A) new BB, B) new cranks, C) new 13-32 IRD freewheel, and D) new 400x26 seatpost. oh, and I haven't figured out what front derailleur yet, waiting til the crank is installed so I can measure the reach and figure out the right size, i'll ride it as a manual hi-lo 7 speed if I have to for a bit...

50:34 goodness in front. 13:32 in rear. thats everything from hauling ass downhill to climbing stumps.

gonna swipe the rear derailleur and brakes off my old cruiser and put cheap parts on it instead to sell it after my neighbor welds the cracked seat tube.

gear ratios work out to be...

Code:
--	13	15	17	21	24	28	32
50	3.85	3.33	2.94	2.38	2.08	1.79	1.56
34	2.62	2.27	2.00	1.62	1.42	1.21	1.06
which should be enough overlap. going from L to H on the front means dropping 2-3 in back. should be amusing to see if my rear Alivio derailleur will take up that much slack that I can use all the gears in both chainrings. I bet front shifts will be fun, too...

170mm arms as thats whats on all my bikes except my old stumpjumper which came with 175mm.

ummm. the rear V-brake (a nearly new budget-line Shimano) barely clears the seat post QR. yet, this bike originally came with V-brakes and that QR. is there such a thing as shorter/compact v-brakes ? the original parts were gone when I got it.

pierce screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 09:55 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #15090
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
A hundred bucks seems reasonable unless the frame and wheels are shot. For a $100 I'd expect to be replacing some of the components and doing some basic maintenance as well.

Its hard to go too wrong on a $100 bike unless the frame is cracked or bent.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: